What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rush the field photo (on the way to get a burrito)

Thanks for posting the picture of the excited little kid. I remember little kids asking for our chin straps after games and practices. We went through a bunch of them. It's great to see happy kids.

As far as running on the field goes, please realize that none of the current CU students have experienced the tough, winning Colorado football that most of have experienced. When the team is mired at 19-34 over 4+ seasons under the same coach, every win is a big win. How do you expect college kids to act like they have been there before when they haven't been there before? Once the program gets a winning coach in the Pacific Conference, and once the students have actually been there before, they will likely only rush the field when a win is truly a big win.

Thanks for posting the picture of the excited little kid. I remember little kids asking for our chin straps after games and practices. We went through a bunch of them. It's great to see happy kids.

As far as running on the field goes, please realize that none of the current CU students have experienced the tough, winning Colorado football that most of have experienced. When the team is mired at 19-34 over 4+ seasons under the same coach, every win is a big win. How do you expect college kids to act like they have been there before when they haven't been there before? Once the program gets a winning coach in the Pacific Conference, and once the students have actually been there before, they will likely only rush the field when a win is truly a big win.

Good point. So you're saying that when people say, "act like you've been there before" the answer is "why?...our students haven't been there before".

I think it's obvious they have such close proximity to the field, they will always rush after a win....it looked like they were running down a special ramp or something...maybe the AD built that so the students could easily run down.

Most stadiums don't have easy access to the fields...at least here in SoCal.

Well, if I have a choice between being ridiculed on national tv for losing to Montana State, getting our $#@es handed to us by Toledo or rushing the field after beating a 1-3 SEC team, I'll take the later.

Those are not the only two options...

And shaking hands is clearly not important after beating a ranked rival, in your opinion, because then it is okay to rush the field.

That is the point we were arguing.

I am not a fan of ever rushing the field.... You may think I am on the side of a big win.... I only said I can understand that side of the argument for rushing the field since I was at the 2001 Nebraska game. I had never rushed the field as a student..... even the pepper spray 1995 or the 1994 Iowa State game....

I do give props to the CU student who rushed the Nebraska field in 1990.....

Only you would have gotten that shot, Alferd.

He actually looks scared, and the crowd looks angry.

It was a professional photo, I swear! But I had heard about it, so when I saw the surfing, I checked the jersey #. He weighs about 140 lbs tops, so he would be the one I'd want to hold over my head, and not Nate Solder. Just sayin'

You got it. This was a BIG DEAL to these students, and they wanted to be part of it.

What the pic doesn't capture is that BJ screamed powder blue !!??? and beat the kid with his helmet.

Bull****. BJ had to hold Dave Plati back--- from beating the kid with his statbook. Sorry, not a kid. Wispy. Who was yelling 'POWDER BLUE MOTHER****ERS!!!! WTF Plati! I'm a law student baby!'

Oh boohoohoo. Everbodies lookin at me and laughing at me. Whatever!! If they want to do that then let em. I'm with ya Alfred. If I was there I sure as hell would have ran on the field and supporting the PLAYERS. If you don't wan to storm the field the DON'T. Keep your tired ass home and let those that want to be apart of not only the victory but the anniversary celebration. Good grief. You guys find more things to bitch about than anyone I know. Do I like Hawk, NO. Does he need to leave? YES. Actaully, we should have lost that game. BUT WE DIDN'T. The players play. Support them in the losses and victory. Hawk will be gone after this year. Quit crying about everything and do what chortz said. Life is way to short. Enjoy it. After all. We could be 0-4. We could have layed up an egg after getting smashed by Cal. Play on.....

On a related note, one thing Ive seen at a few college venues that helps to mitigate rushing but still allows the fans to have a great post-game experience is to allow the fans on the field after the game is over and the visiting team has gone to their locker room...I've experienced this at Texas A&M and Clemson and it's a novel tradition that I wish more schools adapted - makes the game experience even more special for the fans...

A few years back students/fans rushing the field was the subject of an Outside the Lines, ESPN expose, etc. There were several instances of serious injuries that occurred, particularly tearing down the goal posts. It is a conundrum whether to allow people to rush the field or to prevent it. CU happens to have one of the more accessible fields in the country and I agree that rushing the field shouldn't be the norm. However, what if the fans feel that the victory is worthy of the field rush? Are they going to surround the field w/ troops or cops in riot gear? This only creates more of a mob mentality. That's why CU breaks down the goalposts immediately, surrounds the field with security and lets people on the field. I know at Wisconsin there was an ugly incident of students getting pinned against a chain link fence and being trampled because the eventual rush was being prevented.

As Alum2007 said, there are several schools that welcome the rush onto the field after every win. IMO our current propensity for rushing the field for less than monumental/meaningful wins has less to do with recent lack of success and more to do with an administration minimizing the chance for disaster.

I am not a fan of ever rushing the field.... You may think I am on the side of a big win.... I only said I can understand that side of the argument for rushing the field since I was at the 2001 Nebraska game. I had never rushed the field as a student..... even the pepper spray 1995 or the 1994 Iowa State game....

I do give props to the CU student who rushed the Nebraska field in 1990.....

caveat: I lied... I actually did rush the field in Michigan in 1994... But i was not technically a student.. I was in the "Time Out" program because of a health issue....

I did get arrested though...

now that I am done picking the last limb of my Cardinal sticking out of my ass.....

What is the difference between fans rushing the field in lets say.... the third quarter after a great play? or rushing the field when the game is over? I mean the difference you are going to say is that the game is over... but see... it is NOT. Both coaches and players should and most like to shake hands with the other team.... this interference by the fans prevents that.... and the fans can party all night on Pearl Street if they want to....

Interesting is that fact that the PAC 10 has a rule saying that you cannot rush the field unitl after five minutes have passed since the end of the game. Will be interested to see how this changes the students rushing.

CU fans had every right to rush the field. ***k national perception. Wins have been far and few between under DII Danny. If we start winning consistently then rushing the field will become less common. Too much pent up frustration for the fans to try and keep them off the field after that win.

Interesting is that fact that the PAC 10 has a rule saying that you cannot rush the field unitl after five minutes have passed since the end of the game. Will be interested to see how this changes the students rushing.

Since this is the NEW tradition, maybe we need to reevaluate going to the PAC-10....

caveat: I lied... I actually did rush the field in Michigan in 1994... But i was not technically a student.. I was in the "Time Out" program because of a health issue....

I did get arrested though...
I rushed the field in Lincoln in '90....somebody on here said they took a leak on the N following the game. The thought I may have had some future AllBuffer's urine on my shoes haunts me to this day....

Back