What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Say it ain't so Kanavis

This guy is a scumbag. The excuse that he was doing it for his daughters is weak. He was so concerned about what might happen if his daughters looked him up on Google, if thats where your kids formulate their opinion of you then you failed as a parent long ago. Also he could have written this article without name dropping all the players, but he just did it to sensationalize the story and get more attention for himself.

I agree. I suspect he is not happy with his new life away from the NFL, and this is his way of getting back in the spotlight.

They get little to no money for going out and having fun and are not allowed to have jobs. So they're locked into having no money unless their family can afford to give them some.

Actually, quite a few of them do get money. Any D1 sport, not just major college football and basketball, is dirty.

Knavis denies it anyway in the Denver Post today and based on this agent's record I'm inclined to take Kanavis at his word and close the matter.

The "official" response from Dave Plati (new Plati-Tudes out):

So Sports Illustrated interviews some rogue agent, Josh Luchs, who claims he paid a bunch of players money starting 20 years ago, with three former Buffaloes among 30 or so players he claimed he paid. So many things don’t add up with this guy’s story that it is not funny. He is no different than the agent scum I used to see in the hotel lobby when I worked the Hula Bowl. Reputable agents like Jack and Tom Mills, Leigh Steinberg, Peter Schaffer, etc., don’t stake out hotel lobbies or kids’ apartments to try and secure a client. But this guy, obviously looking for some additional 15 minutes of fame, says he’s coming clean because it’s important to his family to do so (huh? ... dude, you're not admitting to a murder or arson). Some comments:

Kanavis McGhee, 1990 linebacker, who Luchs' claimed was the first player he visited and gave money to: "I emphatically deny ever taking money from Josh Luchs or breaking any NCAA rule whatsoever. I cherish my time at the University of Colorado and have never done anything to disparage the school, the athletic program or my teammates. I did not even meet Josh Luchs until after I was drafted in the NFL."

Darian Hagan, 1990 quarterback: “As a teammate of those players mentioned in the story, not only do I not have any knowledge of this, I also seriously doubt that any of it is remotely true. If it were, over the course of 20 years, someone somewhere would have said something.” Or as he also succinctly said, “Those guys were blabbermouths, they’d never been able to keep that quiet had it happened. But they also had the character not to endanger the team in any way.”

Head Coach Bill McCartney: “It seems absurd to me that nothing like this has surfaced for 20 years, and now suddenly there are rumors and innuendo concerning members of a team that was so close-knit, and I’m referring to both players and coaches. I absolutely never heard anything anywhere close to this at the time or in the 20 years since until today. It’s really hard to respond to or dignify this when nothing has surfaced before now.”

Our associate AD for compliance, Julie Manning, was all over this as soon as the story broke, and she reported the following: “The consensus with compliance officers at other institutions and the Big Ten Conference Office, was that there would be no need to investigate this issue. In addition, and most importantly, I had a conversation with NCAA Staff member Chance Miller, who is on the Agent/Gambling side of the NCAA. He stated that ‘at this time, the NCAA is not initiating any type of investigation into this matter. However, if new information would surface where they could confirm that an institution was aware of this taking place at the time, they could come back and open an investigation with that institution.’ But, at this time, they are not proceeding forward with any type of investigation.”

And that would only pertain to if a CU player admitted receiving money before his playing career was over, and all signs point to the trio not accepting anything at all.

I’m more likely to believe our players, who have denied such claims, than some unscrupulous agent who is one of the few apparently banned from the NFL. Aren’t you?! This is nowhere near over and I'll predict some serious lawsuits headed this guy's way.

Back