What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Scott

I think with how poor our OL is at run blocking, Speedy is the best back. A lot of times Speedy makes a couple guys miss just to squeeze through a tiny hole to get 5 yards. Scott just isn't that type of back. I don't get how everyone says he hasn't shown anything. He has had plenty of pretty good plays in his 2 years. I can think of a couple of runs and numerous screen plays where he broke free. He also looks pretty good on kickoff returns. Someone earlier said that he just runs in a straight line, you really think you can get 40+ yards a return just running in straight lines? He sees the hole well on that, he just doesn't seem to shy away from contact. I posted in another thread that if he avoided trying to run over the kicker and simply cut back he probably would have been gone. It's almost like he prefers to run right into people as opposed to avoiding them entirely.

I also want to see DS get more carries simply to decrease the load on Speedy. The way he runs and him pounding it in there 20 times a game is going to get him seriously injured. We have to accept the fact that while Speedy is awesome, he's 5'7 180. A guy that size getting plastered 20 times a game simply can't take that kind of beating imo.

Some of you make it blatantly obvious that you've never played football before.

And I even wonder if you've ever watched a football game before.

"some" of you... have no clue what you're talking about.

has anybody seen scott take more than 7 carries a game? no so how is he not a 5 star if he never gets the carries as stewart does? thats what hawky is scared of is to play kids that are in his sons click.

Really? Thats why Speedy's playing more? :wow: Let it go, man. Has NOTHING to do with that.

Yes, this was the play I was talking about where he misread his move. If he had followed the blockers around the corner, he could have had a nice gain.

Also - I rewatched the opening drive when Scott was in. The 1st play - the safety made the tackle on him.

I was rewatching the first qtr today. watch the 2nd run by DS. Safety makes the tackle on that one as well. Simas missed the block on the safety, going for the corner instead. Had Simas hit the safety, it woudl have been a nice gain.

Speedy's shifty/slashing style does very well when the OL blocking breaks down. I imagine that if DS were to have holes that he could hit at full speed, we'd see much better production out of him. until then, Speedy is the best back for the team.

Really starting to doubt him, he just doesn't show it like Speedy does. I don't know what it is, but he is a physical speciman for a RB, but just goes down too easy. Speedy breaks tackles. I would like to see Scott do well, but I just don't see 5 star or even 4 star in him.:huh:
He played in a lower divison in the valley. The same divison that Marlon Lucky played in. Both they're stats were way overated and they don't play any of the tough teams in southern CA.

Can you imagine how good Speedy would be if the O-line was making holes for him?

But even when they do, he just dances in them, and either runs to the outside and makes a run, or trips over his own feet.

But the bigger issue than why scott isn't on the field, is why Sumler IS EVER on the field? He does not do one thing better than he other RB's that should give him even that much PT. No he is not a good pass blocker by the way, if you actually watch the game. And that drop at the beginning of the 4th qtr, where TH ran around and lead him perfectly for a long gain was a killer, because KU went right down and scored.

Last edited:
Some of you make it blatantly obvious that you've never played football before.

And I even wonder if you've ever watched a football game before.

"some" of you... have no clue what you're talking about.

I've played football, a lot of it and you are a fool. Not sure why you've become a hpmer for a guy that hasnt produced but it doesnt make you seem that astute.

But even when they do, he just dances in them, and either runs to the outside and makes a run, or trips over his own feet.

But the bigger issue than why scott isn't on the field, is why Sumler IS EVER on the field? He does not do one thing better than he other RB's that should give him even that much PT. No he is not a good pass blocker by the way, if you actually watch the game. And that drop at the beginning of the 4th qtr, where TH ran around and lead him perfectly for a long gain was a killer, because KU went right down and scored.

Why isnt Scott on the filed?

He runs soft, he runs strait, and he isnt a great blocking back, for what ever reason given all of his physical talent he isnt putting it together, that is why Scott isnt getting any burn.

Although I belive Stewart to be our best TB, I'd like to see Scott get more carries than he has been getting so we can see what he can do. It seems to me when he runs up the middle, Scott meets the line standing strait up and doesn't get his pads low. We've all seen flashes of brilliance from Scott in open space. If only he could work on getting past the first level of defenders.

The thing about Scott, when he is in the game the defense knows pretty much what's coming. Except for the occasional screen, when he is in the game we are running the ball. They need to start using him on passing downs and run him in routes, he's pretty good at that and has better hands than Sumler, and if we are less predictable when Scott is in the game there might actually be a hole when he runs. Its hard to judge how good he is at breaking tackles when he is hitting a solid wall of people.

And now that our QB can make the first guy miss, his pass protection skills are much less of an issue.:thumbsup:

Biggest part of Scotts game that needs to improve is pass blocking skills. If he can be in there consistantly during pass plays, then the D would not know it is a run if he is in there and stack the box. Burn the D on some pass plays while he is in and we move 2 or 3 guys out of the box and then Scott would look alot better IMO. That said, Speedy looks great regardless. he is the #1 back for now.

Edit: The biggestpart of Scotts game toimprove is his fire. I think if he gets a bit of nastiness to go with his bruising style of play it would help him quite a bit. The DL is actually starting to show that nastiness (for as young as they are) and if the OL cold get the same nastiness CU could win out IMO. MTM had the nastiness the rest of the line needs.

Last edited:
DS has work to do. I don't know if its the coaching or him, because he sure seemed ot have the right instincts in his first game against CSU. For whatever reason, he is not seeing the field like he used to imho. If he finds that groove, watch out. However, I like how the coaches are working him into the passing game. Hope he figures it all out. WOuld be one hell of a backfield.

originally posted elsewhere:
I rewatched last night on DVR. Here's why Scott is struggling. IMO, he either doesn't possess the natural instincts to find the hole or he's had it beaten out of him by Hagen. He didn't have many carries, but of the ones he did, he blew 3 of perhaps 4 or 5 that I saw.

1st play of the game, Scott has the right side completely sealed and a safety comes up and tackles him at the LOS for no gain. In space. One guy. No juke, nothing. Just tackled. Speedy doesn't get stopped for no gain (based on just about every carry he had). Speedy at worst gives a juke and the guy gets partial contact, either slowing him down or tripping him up for 4 yards.

2nd or 3rd play, DS moves and should have been called for a penalty.

Later in the game, soon after he caught the screen pass for the big gain, he gets a toss sweep left. The play is a little slow to develop and Scott was patient. The play opened up with the WR kicking the corner to the outside, and the inside being sealed. Huge lane opens up and yet DS cuts it inside of the gap right into traffic that is being blocked! I rewatched this play a dozen times and I was flabbergasted that he made that choice. DS should have been 8 yards deep with a chance to take on the safety. He missed it bad. Is Hagen in his head telling him North/South period? Or does he not have a feel for this?

On the screen pass, he scores if he makes a move to the outside, rather to the inside where 2 guys are coming.

This is all an observation and not an attack. I believe that DS runs too straight ahead and is robotic right now, not natural. I think High Schoolers rely on their speed too much and they find out at this level they can't rely on that and need to get North-South. In DS's case, he's taken it to an extreme?

Lastly, who need 10 carries to get going? That's lame. We don't have series to waste hoping he gets hot. He's had enough carries over two years to show something and Speedy has shown more each game, from the first carry.

Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but we had to burn at least one timeout (arguably two) because Scott was improperly lined up before a snap. I believe one was in the 3rd quarter when Scott was in the slot; the other time the clock was winding down and Scott (in the backfield) was supposed to go in motion and left late (Hansen turned around to tell him to leave)

The last two posters have nailed it on the head about Scott! Scott is just not showing the heart and drive thus far. He still clearly does not understand the offense and no way should he be taking carries away from Speedy at this point! I think running backs kickoffs is a good place for him until he starts showing more. I would vote for him to return punts too because it is painful watching Espinoza running backwards and into tacklers and blockers punt after punt!

Scott has a couple of problems that ive seen since he got here. Footwork, vision, and patience to the hole. Good news is, all of those things can be much improved. Alot of lateral footwork drills with him might help and does CU have a big sand box around? Footwork drills in those are killer. Vision, this one is tougher. He should be watching film of himself running a ton. I know he dont get many carries but they all look real similar to me. Knowing exactly where he is missing holes on plays and seeing it with his own eyes will only help. Patience to the hole, again alot of film and have him watching alot of Sunday football, AP if possible. Also some little timing things and drills that will help with that. DScott is very raw and it shows. Up to this point, it looks like he hasnt been coached muched. It was mentioned that he be a 3d back, I think that is a good place to start.​

Also you guys above are right. DScott is only gonna become as good as Dscott wants to become, thats where it starts.

Biggest part of Scotts game that needs to improve is pass blocking skills. If he can be in there consistantly during pass plays, then the D would not know it is a run if he is in there and stack the box. Burn the D on some pass plays while he is in and we move 2 or 3 guys out of the box and then Scott would look alot better IMO. That said, Speedy looks great regardless. he is the #1 back for now.

Edit: The biggestpart of Scotts game toimprove is his fire. I think if he gets a bit of nastiness to go with his bruising style of play it would help him quite a bit. The DL is actually starting to show that nastiness (for as young as they are) and if the OL cold get the same nastiness CU could win out IMO. MTM had the nastiness the rest of the line needs.

I agree with you, but my point was that with Hansen at qb we should put him in there on passing downs and have him out as a receiver. I'm not sure that pass blocking alone should be keeping Scott on the bench over Sumler.

But lets just hope that we keep seeing sustained drives and CU in the lead so we can see plenty of both Speedy and Scott!

i'm pretty sure that hawkins has broken scott. will he ever get fixed? maybe. but definitely not while hawkins is his head coach

I trust the game criticisms of Scott - I didn't verify them. But don't you think that playing time would fix a lot of that? It's hard to improve your play when you're not playing. As to lack of heart, that is unadulterated bull****.

Hmmm. Is it the coach's job to win ****ing football games, or to give the football to Darrell Scott so we can see how he "might do."

If this was 1989 and CU was beating somebody 63-3, I could see Scott getting 15-20 carries. But when this team has to scratch and claw just to win by 4 points, the coaches are going to feed the ball to the players who produce, and in the case of the 2009 CU Buffs that player is Rodney Stewart!!

Scott is showing that he has some usefulness in the offense. He has made some decent plays on the screen pass and I think the more success he has in those opportunities that he is on the field the more opportunities he will get to SEE the field.

It's hard to tell with this coach -I thought his job was to get someone into the QB record books. :smile2:

This whole Scott thing seems to be more than football for you - you passionately attack him at every turn. I just don't think it's deserved.

hmmm.... I think he'll be fine. I don't believe the school he came out of prepared him for the speed that he is seeing now and he's having to make adjustments. Hagan can get him there, but he will want to get there too. Sometimes people can't 'tell' you what you need to do you have to 'awaken' to it... he will awaken and be a good back for CU.

I do believe that speedy needs scott to suceed. He will die a slow death over four years if he runs 20 times a game in the B12. Seriously, he is destined to be broken in half the way he runs and the way the B12 plays. Scott needs to get 10+ runs of godd product to make speedy more productive and safe.

Scott shows some great recieving skills and I agree that we don't disguise him enough. He's in and its a run/screen. On first down its a run, on third down its a screen. On 1st they have virtually the whole team in the box ready to jump him.

Also, the oline is not opening holes for anybody bigger than speedy to get through. The guy is freaking amazing at squeaking through small/no hole and picking up positive yards.

Scott will be fine... it will just take more time for him to mature into the role of B12 RB.

I trust the game criticisms of Scott - I didn't verify them. But don't you think that playing time would fix a lot of that? It's hard to improve your play when you're not playing. As to lack of heart, that is unadulterated bull****.

Playing time would fix not knowing where to line up? Not knowing to go in motion? Not hitting the right holes? Jumping on the wrong count?

DS has been getting a serious dose of "cowboy up" since he got here and I think he has a chance to get it, sometime soon I hope. It's called hard love. Nothing handed to him will help him in the long run (or short run really). This staff hasn't compromised on what it takes to get on the field in terms of hard work, study, etc. They are not about to do it now, that's for sure.

:wow:

Back