What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Scrimmage 2

Are there timing issues right now? More than just about any other part of the game, strong field goal kicking is predicated on timing.

Im not exactly sure what it is. Most field goals have an end over end look, well the first one yesterday was a dud, it was spinning sideways and this wasnt the first time Goodman has had a kick like this. Hopefully by fall both him and Davis are more consistant.

Call me what you will. Giving up 700 yards of offense, even in a scrimmage, is no reason to be optimistic.

This is the case every spring. When the offense does well everyone is freaking out about how bad the defense is. and vise versa(sp?). They are rotating a ****ton of players on every play out there. I don't think anyone should read too much into it. jmho.

Thanks JJ. Good to hear that, in your opinion, the WRs got good separation. I was really concerned about that during the last scrimmage.

How much blitzing did the D do? How effective were they when they blitzed? I think it is a joke to say the D is in trouble because of the yardage given up during one spring practice. There is no depth chart yet so we do not know who is going to be a 1, 2, or 3. I have a feeling, if one or two players step up (Smith, Obi, safety opposite Walters) then we could field a pretty intimidating D this fall.

Thanks JJ

I'm waiting until the fall be fore I base any concerns for the defense. I want to see what's up with walters. Sounds like the front 7 should be solid and as of now,we need to upgrade again at safety.

Offense? Need to wait and see what happens with scott/polk but I see the buffs at this time having no problem moving it through the air and they are putting in alot more plays.

I'm interested in who is shining on the OL and who might have the 5 spots at this time. This tuioti-mariner kid is a stud.

Good to hear OBI and herrod getting pressure and devenney playing well. Cobra kai? I hope he gets used and often and he isn't wasted like bloom,we shall see.

Good report jj.

Also, What's up with wright and jalil brown? They were all the rave,how are they doing? Thanks.

Wright was beat pretty badly near the end of the scrimmage when the second team D was in. It was a quick slant over the middle which went for a TD. He made the inital hit but didnt finish his tackle and the safety was too far out of position by that time to come over and help him. Mckay and Smith seemed to be doing very well at CB,

Brown was used as the Nickel most of the day, or at least from what i noticed. He seems very comfortable there. His size will remain an issue if he is used as a CB. I believe he may have lined up on Pat Williams once or twice. Someone else can confirm that though, as I was not always paying attention to details. There were a lot of plays.

Thanks JJ

I'm waiting until the fall be fore I base any concerns for the defense. I want to see what's up with walters. Sounds like the front 7 should be solid and as of now,we need to upgrade again at safety.

Offense? Need to wait and see what happens with scott/polk but I see the buffs at this time having no problem moving it through the air and they are putting in alot more plays.

I'm interested in who is shining on the OL and who might have the 5 spots at this time. This tuioti-mariner kid is a stud.

Good to hear OBI and herrod getting pressure and devenney playing well. Cobra kai? I hope he gets used and often and he isn't wasted like bloom,we shall see.

Good report jj.

It looked like Kai was having a rough day. A few times he did not know where to line up for a play and a coach had to tell him where to go. He did miss a few blocks but I think it was an issue of timing. Either Kai going to far in front of the TB or the TB not following Kai as closely as he should have.

All in all he should be able to keep up. A lot of the mistakes looked mental and a function of not having been many practices recently.

The upside is that his blocking is incredible when they stick and he has helped raise the level of blocking for the rest of the FB/TE. When I was at practice on Thursday, he was helping a bunch of other players out with hand and footwork. It was very nice to see.

Wright was beat pretty badly near the end of the scrimmage when the second team D was in. It was a quick slant over the middle which went for a TD. He made the inital hit but didnt finish his tackle and the safety was too far out of position by that time to come over and help him. Mckay and Smith seemed to be doing very well at CB,

Brown was used as the Nickel most of the day, or at least from what i noticed. He seems very comfortable there. His size will remain an issue if he is used as a CB. I believe he may have lined up on Pat Williams once or twice. Someone else can confirm that though, as I was not always paying attention to details. There were a lot of plays.

Jalil brown is 6-1-205,you must be talking about chapelle.I'm going to the spring game so,i'll get a better look instead of bugging you guys with questions.

My bad I read Jalil and went to Cha'pelle. I did not notice when Jalil was in... I retract my earlier statement. Sorry for the inconvenience syko. See you at the Spring Game then.

S0413CUFB163_t600.jpg

Photo: Cliff Grassmick
Kai Maiava, playing fullback, catches a ball out of the backfield on Saturday.

This is the case every spring. When the offense does well everyone is freaking out about how bad the defense is. and vise versa(sp?). They are rotating a ****ton of players on every play out there. I don't think anyone should read too much into it. jmho.

What worries me is that usually this time of year it's expected for the defense to be ahead of the offense. (We've all heard this a hundred times over the years). My concern is that if our offense is ahead of our defense this early in the spring and our offense just installed a whole new scheme (no huddle, new communication system, etc.) which should put them even further behind the D, how bad must our D be for the O to still be out in front?

My guess is that our defensive backfield is weak and they are making our Qbs and WR's look much better than they are. Additionally, our new huge OL is beating down our moderate DL and giving the QB and RB's time and holes to make plays.

With a strong O and a weaker D our strategy should be to have the O slow the game down and produce long sustained drives to keep our D off the field, yet ironically we just switched to a no huddle hurry up offense that will have the O scoring more quickly and putting the D back on the field sooner. Should be an interesting season.

What worries me is that usually this time of year it's expected for the defense to be ahead of the offense. (We've all heard this a hundred times over the years). My concern is that if our offense is ahead of our defense this early in the spring and our offense just installed a whole new scheme (no huddle, new communication system, etc.) which should put them even further behind the D, how bad must our D be for the O to still be out in front?

My guess is that our defensive backfield is weak and they are making our Qbs and WR's look much better than they are. Additionally, our new huge OL is beating down our moderate DL and giving the QB and RB's time and holes to make plays.

With a strong O and a weaker D our strategy should be to have the O slow the game down and produce long sustained drives to keep our D off the field, yet ironically we just switched to a no huddle hurry up offense that will have the O scoring more quickly and putting the D back on the field sooner. Should be an interesting season.

I concur. Unless we get some better play from the defensive backfield, it will be a long season. CU has been ranked in the 100's in pass defense five times this decade, and with the loss of Wheatley, we could be even worse. Hopefully one or two of the redshirt freshmen db's will step up (though it doesn't sound like that has happened yet). I agree with the logic that defenses are supposed to dominate early, so either we have a fantastic offense, or a defense which has yet to come together. Let's hope it's more the former and not so much the latter. Go Buffs!

www.cuatthegame.com

I'm not going to get too wrapped up in the offense/defense stuff yet. I'll wait until Fall to have concerns there. Our D-Line should be very good. Our LB's should be very good, and might even be great if the Katoa situation turns out OK and Major/Mohler are able to come in and add some depth. Safeties should be fine so long as we don't have injuries (big if, I understand). CB is my biggest concern, as we'll have two brand new starters there. They may have talent, but not a lot of experience.

Plus, with so many other Big 12 schools doing the no-huddle thing, I think it's good that our Defense is getting a look at it in spring drills instead of waiting until the season to have to set a game plan on how to stop it.

I concur. Unless we get some better play from the defensive backfield, it will be a long season. CU has been ranked in the 100's in pass defense five times this decade, and with the loss of Wheatley, we could be even worse. Hopefully one or two of the redshirt freshmen db's will step up (though it doesn't sound like that has happened yet). I agree with the logic that defenses are supposed to dominate early, so either we have a fantastic offense, or a defense which has yet to come together. Let's hope it's more the former and not so much the latter. Go Buffs!

www.cuatthegame.com

The DBs are a concern, but our pass defense will only be as good as our pass rush is.

He is injured right now and missed all of spring practice, I dont see a concern for it, Walters is one tough SOB

Back