What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Scrimmage Notes

I'm glad you made and gave us the updates. Keep them coming. :thumbsup:

There is another scrimmage next weekend, I will plan on going to that one (since its no hassle for me, it gets me outside and I get to talk football, who could as for more). If anyone who cannont make it next week has any concerns you want me to focus on, really look at, PM before Saturday and I will put them up after the scrimmage next weekend.

Nice recap. I will be in town starting next weekend and all the way until after the spring game, so I am going to try and make the scrimmage next Saturday.

Great summary. Rep delivered. I can only add to the chorus to say to keep it coming to those of us unfortunately too far away from Boulder.

Awesome post JJ. Thanks for the info. I really wanted to be there today but I am about 6000 miles away :(. I'll be there for next weekend's scrimmage though, look forward to seeing you around. I'd be happy to talk football with you, as would some of my friends i would think.

Great summary. Rep delivered. I can only add to the chorus to say to keep it coming to those of us unfortunately too far away from Boulder.
:yeahthat:

...and for those of us who live close, but can't always make the scrims...

great post and follow up. thanks for the information!

what time is the scrim next week?

Re: Scrimmage Notes (Long)

After seeing them scrimmage today, I have my hopes up. I dont think anyone is going to be able to run againsts us at all. i think West Va is looking more and more like a win with the speed we have at the LB position.

First of all thanks for the great report on the scrimmage. I wasn't able to make it down there today. I heard the offense did a great job today.

QB: Cody will be the guy come fall. Ballenger doesnt have the poise or experience to challenge him and Nelson doesnt seem to be the leader that we need. Cody got better at checking off his recievers and not following one guy the whole play. Ballenger played well, but never got any looks with the first team offense.

Cody will be the guy. Totally agree with you. But don't underestimate Ballenger. He has all the tools to become a great QB here in Boulder.

OLine: We will have a good Oline this year. The first team didnt allow any sacks and just a few pressures. Solder will not start at tackle, he will play at some point during this season but he wont get the nod against the Rams, IMO.

I know people are high on Solder. But i agree with you. Solder may become a great OT. Just not this year. Miller has been playing well this spring. I heard Fataagi was out there. How did he do? Word is he'll be a starter this fall. Grimes has nothing but good things to say about Erik.

TE: Geer screwed us over. Devenny will have a good year, he had a great catch (TD) down the middle of the field. That will be where the TE's get most of their receptions/touchdowns, sending the WR's out and sending the TE down the middle.

Geer is done for the year. Done. So all we can do is cross our fingers and hope a frosh steps up. My bet is on Deehan. Maybe Wallace.

RB/FB: Kai didnt play (no suprise), but Maurice Cantrell will be quite the FB this year. He can run/catch (short stuff) and block. This is the year to get excited about the running game. The 3rd play of the day Sumler took a screen pass about 45 yards for a TD. Lockridge, Sumler and Moyd will all have an impact in some way this year. I have no doubt that if Scott works hard he will start against CSU but we have a rotation of 5 running backs and each will get a few looks this year.

Maurice Cantrell is still suspect imo. He did a great job in '06. But then he just disappeared last season. I'm taking a wait and see approach with this kid. He has all the tools. But maybe its a mental thing.

Sumler looks very sharp. He got bashed by alot of fans last year. But he was only a freshman. It's not like the oline helped him out much either. We'll see plenty of Sumler this fall. Moyd will be a special teams guy. If he hasn't seen the field as a RB by now then he never will. I don't think we'll see a 5 back rotation. Maybe 3. Lockridge is a better player than Moyd. jmo.

WR: Patrick Williams. He stepped up this year, he is going to be the WR leader this year, no drops today, instead he decided to catch anything withing 5 feet of him, on the ground, diving, if he plays like that the rest of the year he will not dissapoint. J Fly is now the one who will run the end around and ran it well today, he is still very uneasy about running deap into the corners (think about what happened last fall), but he blocks and catches very well. Simas will be the one who benefited from his RS the most. He will be the go to guy deep opposite Smith. McKnight catches anything. He is a very good possesion reciever and I look for him to catch the short stuff. Celestine will play very well but slide under the radar of most teams and that will allow him to have a few big plays.

I talked up PDub last year during this time also. But i won't make the same mistake twice. This kid should've been a star. But he doesn't know how to bounce back after dropped passes. He let's it bother him. Last spring he caught every pass within reach during spring ball last year. And went on to be the same ol' patrick we know on gameday. I really hope he proves me wrong. But i doubt that'll happen.

How was Smith "uneasy" about the corners? The kid will be our primary deep threat in the future. I hope your wrong about his uneasiness. We'll be in trouble.

McKnight is McKnight. He runs good routes and catches the ball. What more can you ask for in a WR?

Dline: I dont know if it was because they were told not to try and hit the QB or the Oline was doing a great job, but they still had trouble getting pressure on the QB. Like I said before, no one will be able to run against us. Conrad Obi I have a feeling will play in significant games this year, the kid is an animal and plays DE the way it was meant to be played.

The DT situation is fine. We should see Nicholas, Hypo, and Goree as the main contributors this fall.

The real question mark is the DE's. Obi looks like the man. But what about Lucas. I hope he steps up this year. He always plays really stiff.

LB: This is still an iffy position. Jones had a "sack" along with "smart" coming off the side, but we are really going to need a freshman step up (Mohler, Major...someone). Katoa was there but he was working the chain gang along with Kai. Marcus Burton, Jake Duren, Nate Vaiomounga, Mike Sipili and Josh Hartigan all were on the sidelines. Hopefully Cabral can do something about these kids.

This is the position i never worry about. I have full trust in Brian Cabral. So should the rest of the Buff fans out there. I also think Brad Jones will be all conference this year.

DB: Hopefully Walters can stay healthy this year. He was missed at times today, his backup (Anthony Perkins) played well in coverage but struggles with open field tackles. Jimmy Smith will be a Wheatly-like coverage guy. He doesnt stand 5 yards away from the WR before the snap, he is on the line pushing the WR after the snap and covers very well. Gardner McKay will play on the other side and I feel good about him as well, we dont really play any teams this year that have stud WR's like OU did last year.

We should start a thread about the DB's. That is the main position of worry for me. :smile2:

Special Teams: My, my, my. Dillalo will be the punter and when his line can hold back the defense he can boom his kicks, however, I have a feeling he will have a few blocked kicks this year. On the other side, I think we will block a few kicks this year, Simas blocked a kick and Jimmy Smith took it in for 6. Our field goal/PAT kicking worries are far from over. Aric Goodman missed an extra point (just missed, not tipped, blocked, just missed) and Jameson Davis has a leg that can kick it out of the endzone on kickoffs, but he accuracy is terrible. Dont expect Hawk's 4th and 4 gambles to stop.

It's way too early to guage the kickers. They just got here. Let's wait untill after spring to assess their progress. But special teams should be decent in the fall imo.

On a side note, the no huddle seemed to work really well. I think the coaches have implemented just enough that they will use it well, yet have everyone on the same page. Also. John Hessler was there and he was pretty excited about this years team.

It seems like every team in the Big 12 is working on installing a no huddle now. It's a copycat league right?:lol:

My view on the team is they are still very young. How many SO's and FR do we have compared to the JR's and SR's? We are very, very young. Not necessarily a bad thing. But not great either. :smile2:

Here is a thought....let's lobby the Camera to hire JJ to replace Ringo as the Buff football beat writer.....

Last edited by a moderator:
He comes across as a bit dim...accurate?

From what I found out talking to him he down talks a lot of people. I asked a simple question (When do you think we will hear the last word on on Katoa/Geer?), I figured since he is the journalist he has some inside info on that, at least when the hearings will be. His response was "Everyone knows they are done, they will stay with the team, but not play a down." Well that didnt answer the question I asked, he's not my favorite but oh well.

From what I found out talking to him he down talks a lot of people. I asked a simple question (When do you think we will hear the last word on on Katoa/Geer?), I figured since he is the journalist he has some inside info on that, at least when the hearings will be. His response was "Everyone knows they are done, they will stay with the team, but not play a down." Well that didnt answer the question I asked, he's not my favorite but oh well.

He does come off that way. :huh:

He does come off that way. :huh:
Most reporters are looking to use a job like his as a stepping stone in their careers...perhaps on to the Denver Post, Dallas Morning News, etc. My impression of Kyle is he will go nowhere but down from the Camera....How about the Arvada Chronicle?

Thanks for all of the info. I'm looking forward to a nasty running game where the Buffs just keep pounding and pounding opposing defenses. Especially against those teams that operate the pansy spread offense.

Most reporters are looking to use a job like his as a stepping stone in their careers...perhaps on to the Denver Post, Dallas Morning News, etc. My impression of Kyle is he will go nowhere but down from the Camera....How about the Arvada Chronicle?

I've always said he has a face for blogging

Re: Scrimmage Notes (Long)

First of all thanks for the great report on the scrimmage. I wasn't able to make it down there today. I heard the offense did a great job today.

Cody will be the guy. Totally agree with you. But don't underestimate Ballenger. He has all the tools to become a great QB here in Boulder.

I know people are high on Solder. But i agree with you. Solder may become a great OT. Just not this year. Miller has been playing well this spring. I heard Fataagi was out there. How did he do? Word is he'll be a starter this fall. Grimes has nothing but good things to say about Erik.

Geer is done for the year. Done. So all we can do is cross our fingers and hope a frosh steps up. My bet is on Deehan. Maybe Wallace.

Maurice Cantrell is still suspect imo. He did a great job in '06. But then he just disappeared last season. I'm taking a wait and see approach with this kid. He has all the tools. But maybe its a mental thing.

Sumler looks very sharp. He got bashed by alot of fans last year. But he was only a freshman. It's not like the oline helped him out much either. We'll see plenty of Sumler this fall. Moyd will be a special teams guy. If he hasn't seen the field as a RB by now then he never will. I don't think we'll see a 5 back rotation. Maybe 3. Lockridge is a better player than Moyd. jmo.

I talked up PDub last year during this time also. But i won't make the same mistake twice. This kid should've been a star. But he doesn't know how to bounce back after dropped passes. He let's it bother him. Last spring he caught every pass within reach during spring ball last year. And went on to be the same ol' patrick we know on gameday. I really hope he proves me wrong. But i doubt that'll happen.

How was Smith "uneasy" about the corners? The kid will be our primary deep threat in the future. I hope your wrong about his uneasiness. We'll be in trouble.

McKnight is McKnight. He runs good routes and catches the ball. What more can you ask for in a WR?

The DT situation is fine. We should see Nicholas, Hypo, and Goree as the main contributors this fall.

The real question mark is the DE's. Obi looks like the man. But what about Lucas. I hope he steps up this year. He always plays really stiff.

This is the position i never worry about. I have full trust in Brian Cabral. So should the rest of the Buff fans out there. I also think Brad Jones will be all conference this year.

We should start a thread about the DB's. That is the main position of worry for me. :smile2:

It's way too early to guage the kickers. They just got here. Let's wait untill after spring to assess their progress. But special teams should be decent in the fall imo.

It seems like every team in the Big 12 is working on installing a no huddle now. It's a copycat league right?:lol:

My view on the team is they are still very young. How many SO's and FR do we have compared to the JR's and SR's? We are very, very young. Not necessarily a bad thing. But not great either. :smile2:

Basically all I meant by him being uneasy, was when he was running into the back corner of the endzone he just seemed to be a little more in control and a little more hesitant of where he was on the field.

Have always had a hard time finding an adjective to describe Ringo. Its not that he doesn't give a rip- b/c IMO he does a very decent job covering the Buffs and is a good balance for Woelk. Smart ass is probably the best way to describe the dude- I personally like him...not that he cares what anyone thinks.

The fact that Ringo is supposedly arrogant makes me not like the guy even more. I've never met the guy, but I do not really think too highly of him as a journalist. There are some stories that he's written that are just deplorable. Overall, I think he's fine as a beat writer, but we could use some more information from the guy.

Seems like he pretty much answered the question you were really asking. And the answer wasn't what i wanted to hear.

Back