What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Shanahan says running and defense wins games

It’s older then that. Moses was doing the same thing after he lead the Jews out if Egypt.
Yeah, Moses commanded one hell of a running game. That’s no bull. Just watch the exodus off of the field after each game to see how bushed everyone was.

Tell that to all the Air Raid teams. Oklahoma is the only one of them with any high level success and they don’t appear to break into the NC gang because they give up 59 points per game.
Maybe shanahan should? My point is that expecting an old coach to say anything other than defense and running the ball wins games is a fool's errand.

Oklahoma (and the air raid) is proving that told maxim wrong. What you need is defense and competent offense. (i.e. being good all around, gasp). Running the ball is just one way to do it.

My bad, wrong shanahan. In my defense, his dad would disown him if he said anything else.

The reason I liked the article wasn't because of Shanahan's conclusion, it was because of all the empirical data he shared to reach that conclusion.

I honestly think that executing ANY gameplan will get results. If you pass to open up the run and do it well, it'll work. If you have a west coast offense and players that will execute it, you'll win games. Zone run, power run, spread, etc. As long as you have the right personnel for the scheme it will work.

I really think scheme is helpful in football (especially college) for narrowing down who to scout and potentially add to the team. If there's 100 quarterbacks out there to look at, it's helpful to narrow it down and look closer at the ones who are potential scheme fits.

At the end of the day, personnel should drive the scheme and not the other way around.

Looking at run/pass mix last season, the one that stands out to me is UGA since it's where our HC and much of our staff came from.

Georgia was 113th in the nation on % of passing plays. They only passed 39.68% of the time. https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/passing-play-pct?date=2019-01-08

Alabama was 90th at 43.85%.

Interestingly, the high powered offense we've been seeing in the Playoff is Oklahoma. It might surprise others as it did me that they were 83rd at 44.50% pass plays.

Only 41 of the 130 FBS teams passed more than they ran. Most of them weren't very good. CU was 31st at 51.57% last year. In our 2016 season, we were 76th at 44.79%. https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/passing-play-pct?date=2017-01-10

My conclusions from this data: If you want to win, you need to RUN THE DAMN BALL! and Mel Tucker comes from the school of running 55-60% of the time.

Also, many coaches abandon the run when they get behind. So, Nik’s stats become self fulfilling. A weaker team gets behind in a game. Instead of fighting back with a points / possession outlook, they worry about clock left and switch to passing more often.

It even happens in series by series play calling. Most teams will pass on third (especially third and long) situations. If you are moving well on 1st and second down, there are fewer “passing” downs. Teams that struggle on the early downs, whether they pass or run, will usually pass on third down.

So, a dominant team will naturally run more often, regardless of its effectiveness. A losing team passes more often creating a feedback into the play selection stats.

An effective passing team could dominate. But, it’s hard to be consistent and always get a first down even with a completion rate in the 66% range. Pass happy strategies are simply drive killers without a very high level of execution.

Looking at run/pass mix last season, the one that stands out to me is UGA since it's where our HC and much of our staff came from.

Georgia was 113th in the nation on % of passing plays. They only passed 39.68% of the time. https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/passing-play-pct?date=2019-01-08

Alabama was 90th at 43.85%.

Interestingly, the high powered offense we've been seeing in the Playoff is Oklahoma. It might surprise others as it did me that they were 83rd at 44.50% pass plays.

Only 41 of the 130 FBS teams passed more than they ran. Most of them weren't very good. CU was 31st at 51.57% last year. In our 2016 season, we were 76th at 44.79%. https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/passing-play-pct?date=2017-01-10

My conclusions from this data: If you want to win, you need to RUN THE DAMN BALL! and Mel Tucker comes from the school of running 55-60% of the time.
Why was I not surprised to see WSU at the top :LOL:

Back