What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Should Bohn hire Calhoun to replace Hawkins?

Should Calhoun be the choice to take over?

• Total voters
I have very much cooled on him. I will take anyone new at this point, but I hope Bohn really opens up the search and doesn't get tunnel vision.

I just cannot get excited about Calhoun. I'd look at the USC/Pete Carroll model. I have no idea what that means, but Carroll came from the NFL with a **** load of charisma.

I think the poll speaks for itself. I would imagine Bohn is looking at this poll right now and has already offered a contract to Calhoun.

I just cannot get excited about Calhoun. I'd look at the USC/Pete Carroll model. I have no idea what that means, but Carroll came from the NFL with a **** load of charisma.

For every Pete Carroll, there are a slew of guys like Mike Sherman, Bill Callahan, Al Groh, Chuck Fairbanks, John Mackovic, Steve Fairchild, Charlie Weiss... the list goes on. That's really not a model for success.

For every Pete Carroll, there are a slew of guys like Mike Sherman, Bill Callahan, Al Groh, Chuck Fairbanks, John Mackovic, Steve Fairchild, Charlie Weiss... the list goes on. That's really not a model for success.

Greg Robinson.

Calhoun does nothing for me. I'd back the hire and fully support him if he were our new HC, but definitely not one of my top choices.

Hire Calhoun straight up... no!

Hire Calhoun and a staff... sure. I don't want Calhoun and all of the guys he's at AFA with. He needs to put together solid coordinators with proven recruiters and a staff with deep west coast ties.

Damn you!! :lol:

Hire Calhoun straight up... no!

Hire Calhoun and a staff... sure. I don't want Calhoun and all of the guys he's at AFA with. He needs to put together solid coordinators with proven recruiters and a staff with deep west coast ties.

The HC is going to have to have a big enough name to bring in the coordinators. Nobody is going to line up to be a coordinator at CU given the no long term contracts and middle of the road salary that comes with coaching at the school. Not sure Calhoun is that person, he would just bring those around him that run their triple option. No good for us.

The HC is going to have to have a big enough name to bring in the coordinators. Nobody is going to line up to be a coordinator at CU given the no long term contracts and middle of the road salary that comes with coaching at the school. Not sure Calhoun is that person, he would just bring those around him that run their triple option. No good for us.

Getting the assistant coaches doesn't bother me. If asshats like Collins, Riddle, Brandison, etc. can coach NCAA football for years and years and years I am confidant that CU won't have any problems getting coaches to Boulder.

Just too many other options that would need to be talked to before jumping with Calhoun. I think we can and will do better than this.

Up and coming Bad Ass Recruiter + Coordinator Cred and you can rarely go wrong. Being around a winning program with a tradition of producing other successful coaches (For every Bill walsh and Bo there is a Bear Bryant/Bill belichick (zinnnng!) that doesn't produce winning coaches from his staff) is also a huge plus. I don't care if it is O or D, but you gotta have one. Especially at a place like CU where we can't put both coordinators to long term contracts.

Calhoun isn't a triple option coach, he's a pro style running offense coach. Air Force just happens to be a triple option school. Calhoun has a solid coaching tree he can lean on, albeit mostly NFL, but he's been on Shanahan's staff and Kubiak's staff, and he's got SEC experience. I have no doubt he can bring good coaches and coordinators. Recruiting is the question.

Last edited:
Calhoun isn't a triple option coach, he's a pro style running offense coach. Air Force just happens to be a triple option school. Calhoun has a solid coaching tree he can lean on, albeit mostly NFL, but he's been on Shanahan's staff and Kubiak's staff, and he's got SEC experience. I have no doubt he can bring good coaches and coordinators. Recruiting is the question.

informed discussion is good. well done. :thumbsup:

Back