What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

should CU raise ticket prices?

Should CU raise ticket prices?

• Total voters
I remember when Oklahoma State raised their season ticket prices a couple years ago. They raised ticket prices across the board. Single game tickets and season tickets - both doubled in cost- from $40 per ticket to $85 per ticket.

Then this past year they really went over the top. They made the decision that there would be NO single-game ticket sales to the OU/OSU game. If you wanted a ticket to the OSU/OU game in Stillwater, you had to buy a season ticket. (This didn't include the 5,000 tickets that OSU gave to OU to sell)

I am not sure exactly how well it worked.

They instigated this policy, not aimed at the OSU fans, but all the OU fans that try to buy the single game tickets to this game. T. Boone and OSU powers to be were tired of seeing anywhere from 1/4 to 1/3 of the stadium in crimson, not halloween orange as OU fans bought up any and all single game tickets they could find to this game. Their thinking is that a season ticket holder is less likely to sell their tickets to this one game.

They instigated this policy, not aimed at the OSU fans, but all the OU fans that try to buy the single game tickets to this game. T. Boone and OSU powers to be were tired of seeing anywhere from 1/4 to 1/3 of the stadium in crimson, not halloween orange as OU fans bought up any and all single game tickets they could find to this game. Their thinking is that a season ticket holder is less likely to sell their tickets to this one game.

or force the OU fans to buy osu season tickets every other year

That's what they did for the fusker game in Boulder too, not sure if they still do.

Lower non-student season ticket prices by 10% to build a bigger core base. Jack up the 3-pack by 5% and jack individual game tickets by 10%.

Then set up a not-for-profit ticket share program whereby unused tickets can be donated back to the school as a cheritable contribution with associated tax breaks to the donors. Then the school can use the donated tickets for community outreach and/or re-sale at a discount. The goal here is to give out of state alumni an incentive to buy season tickets that will be put to good use if they choose to show up or not.

Get some attorneys to figure out if this proposal can fly.

Lower non-student season ticket prices by 10% to build a bigger core base. Jack up the 3-pack by 5% and jack individual game tickets by 10%.

Then set up a not-for-profit ticket share program whereby unused tickets can be donated back to the school as a cheritable contribution with associated tax breaks to the donors. Then the school can use the donated tickets for community outreach and/or re-sale at a discount. The goal here is to give out of state alumni an incentive to buy season tickets that will be put to good use if they choose to show up or not.

Get some attorneys to figure out if this proposal can fly.

I whole-heartedly agree with this proposal. I'm considering whether or not I'm going to renew this year since I only get to see 1 game a year or so, yet I buy a season ticket anyway. I would definitely renew if this was an option.

season tix for students cost twice as much as they did 5 years ago.

2 times as much.

what Bohn ought to do is make 117 a new donor section and put grad/law students in the end zone. most of the grad/law crowd aren't from Colorado and didn't go to CU, no reason to hand them easy money seats on the 40, 20 rows up.

we just give away a whole section of lower bowl seats behind the CU bench on the 30-45 to grad/law students and seniors (who are going to move out of state anyway) which could be serious donor money instead of jacking the regular fan or alum.

2 times as much.

what Bohn ought to do is make 117 a new donor section and put grad/law students in the end zone. most of the grad/law crowd aren't from Colorado and didn't go to CU, no reason to hand them easy money seats on the 40, 20 rows up.

we just give away a whole section of lower bowl seats behind the CU bench on the 30-45 to grad/law students and seniors (who are going to move out of state anyway) which could be serious donor money instead of jacking the regular fan or alum.

I agree with this. There's no reason seats on the 50 yard line should go for as little as they do.

There are several justifications for cheap student tickets in desirable locations:

1) Unlike the overwhelming majority of the rest of the fans, they stand up and are loud
2) The student section is full every game (although sometimes not until halfway through the first or at the start of the second if we aren't playing anyone that good late in a disappointing season [ISU this year])
3) Students largely can't afford to spend $50/game or $300/year to go to games. Do this and you will see Folsom rarely full, particularly when the team's success mirrors what it has since 7-2 in 2005.
4) There is no university without students... they constitute the primary raison d'etre for the school to exist, even when considering research, etc.

So no, I don't really think it would be appropriate for Cu to meddle with the current arrangements they have for student football tickets. Particularly when Folsom regularly is not sold out.

There are several justifications for cheap student tickets in desirable locations:

1) Unlike the overwhelming majority of the rest of the fans, they stand up and are loud
2) The student section is full every game (although sometimes not until halfway through the first or at the start of the second if we aren't playing anyone that good late in a disappointing season [ISU this year])
3) Students largely can't afford to spend $50/game or $300/year to go to games. Do this and you will see Folsom rarely full, particularly when the team's success mirrors what it has since 7-2 in 2005.
4) There is no university without students... they constitute the primary raison d'etre for the school to exist, even when considering research, etc.

So no, I don't really think it would be appropriate for Cu to meddle with the current arrangements they have for student football tickets. Particularly when Folsom regularly is not sold out.

1) Who cares? They can stand up somewhere else where it doesn't cost the AD so much in lost revenue.

2) No it's not. As evidence I give you the ISU and OSU games this year. The students are the epitome of fair weather fans. Most of them (not all, just most) are complete football morons.

3) The proposal wasn't to charge students more, merely to move part of the student section around the South end of the stadium where the lost revenue isn't as significant.

4) Undoubtedly true. Yet again, there's no athletic department without paying season ticket holders. Unless, of course, you'd propose increasing student fees to subsidize the department even more than you're doing now. The difference in price between what is paid in Sec 118 and Sec 117 is astounding, yet they are literally the same, straddling the 50-yard line.

Nobody is proposing taking away student seats, merely moving the student section so that sec 117 can be sold with substantial annual seat taxes and higher per-seat revenues. I thing it's something that's long overdue.

Nobody is proposing taking away student seats, merely moving the student section so that sec 117 can be sold with substantial annual seat taxes and higher per-seat revenues. I thing it's something that's long overdue.

I think this is a very good & creative suggestion to boost revenue....I could hardly see the students in an uproar because they can't sit at the 50 yard line anymore.

At KU, the student section is behind the visiting team's bench. That strategy has potential in Boulder.

But then again, there is the width of a track serving as a buffer, so KU student need to have extra good arms.

my opinion: failing economy with layoffs and unemployment on the rise; mediocre season - what are many people going to give up first?? non essentials like sporting events esp in a market with alot of pro and college competition

Better leave prices alone until the product is better (and the economy)

As I think back to when I was a student, I would have been pretty pissed if the athletic dept took away the best seats in the student section. Furthermore, as a parent paying for my two kids at CU, I'd be pissed if they did not get the opportunity to sit in those same seats I was able to.

Based on what? We haven't had a winning season in 3 years. Don't play with fire. You could end up losing the fan support you have now.

As I think back to when I was a student, I would have been pretty pissed if the athletic dept took away the best seats in the student section. Furthermore, as a parent paying for my two kids at CU, I'd be pissed if they did not get the opportunity to sit in those same seats I was able to.

no ****.

Really? When I was a student, I couldn't care less where I sat. I just wanted to be somewhere inside the stadium. The minutae of my location was not a consideration.

Really? When I was a student, I couldn't care less where I sat. I just wanted to be somewhere inside the stadium. The minutae of my location was not a consideration.

I couldn't wait to sit in the Senior Section between the 40's.

2 times as much.

:wave: :finger:

Your logic here suxors. First, the entire section is now gen admin, so the seats at the 45-50 go to whoever is committed enough to get there early. Bonus for getting there on time, novel idea.

Second, most CU Law grads will stay in state. CU is a good regional school and our grads do well locally, but unless you are top of the class you aren't getting a job in one of the big cities. All your contacts you make in school also tend to make you stay local. Further, the law grads are exactly those types of grads who will be making the coin to afford season tickets once they do graduate. Why alienate them?

Third, grad students who do buy tickets are also those students who are already or are likely to remain passionate about the team. Grad students just coming through to do a dissertation aren't going to buy season tickets. They also aren't going to the games for the social scene like the UGs. Therefore, if they are there, they are probably into the games and likely to remain fans.

Finally, these are fans who can't afford to pay for great seats while they are students. Getting them great seats to a good product at a price they can afford is exactly the way you get them hooked on the product for later when they can pay.

:wave: :finger:

Your logic here suxors. First, the entire section is now gen admin, so the seats at the 45-50 go to whoever is committed enough to get there early. Bonus for getting there on time, novel idea.

Second, most CU Law grads will stay in state. CU is a good regional school and our grads do well locally, but unless you are top of the class you aren't getting a job in one of the big cities. All your contacts you make in school also tend to make you stay local. Further, the law grads are exactly those types of grads who will be making the coin to afford season tickets once they do graduate. Why alienate them?

Third, grad students who do buy tickets are also those students who are already or are likely to remain passionate about the team. Grad students just coming through to do a dissertation aren't going to buy season tickets. They also aren't going to the games for the social scene like the UGs. Therefore, if they are there, they are probably into the games and likely to remain fans.

Finally, these are fans who can't afford to pay for great seats while they are students. Getting them great seats to a good product at a price they can afford is exactly the way you get them hooked on the product for later when they can pay.

While your arguments make more sense than 04's, it still falls on deaf ears as far as I'm concerned. If the Grad/Law students sat in Sec 116, they'd still be on the 15-30 yard line. Those are really good seats. I don't see the logic in selling 50-yard line seats for $100/Yr (or whatever the going rate for student tickets is these days).

If I were Bohn I'd consider moving the game to Denver and lowering the prices. The added capacity might actually make them more money by tapping into a newer and larger fan base as well as absorbing the folks that are also being economically crippled and will cancel their Broncos tickets. I don't know the use fee charges and wether that would be viable costwise. I was consider tickets for next year as my oldest will be 6 and might be able to go. But work just altered my pay for '09 and they did NOT give me a raise.

I know this will not be popular. :finger:

Absolutely. For one, I don't think you would see much of an increase in ticket sales. Second, I don't think Mr. Bowlen would be too keen on the idea. Finally (and most importantly), moving the games off campus would be a terrible move IMO.

Can you explain why you think this move would benefit CU?

My question is simple and a i'll ask it again; would you still oppose CU playing all home games in Denver if it was a financial benefit to the school greater than playing in Folsom?

I couldn't wait to sit in the Senior Section between the 40's.

I had those seats as well. It was nice not having to get their so early to be stuck in the back of the bowl.

Last edited:
While your arguments make more sense than 04's, it still falls on deaf ears as far as I'm concerned. If the Grad/Law students sat in Sec 116, they'd still be on the 15-30 yard line. Those are really good seats. I don't see the logic in selling 50-yard line seats for $100/Yr (or whatever the going rate for student tickets is these days).

I disagree with you that they should change the student section, but I was mostly responding to Mick's idea to put all the grad/law students in the end zone b/c they don't deserve good seats.

I do think that the students who get there early and are passionate about the game deserve to have really great seats and I think moving them further away from the action would definitely hurt the game day atmosphere in the stadium. I love looking across the student section and seeing a sea of gold cheering hard. I think you lose some of the atmosphere the further you move them from the action of the game and from the team.

I disagree with you that they should change the student section, but I was mostly responding to Mick's idea to put all the grad/law students in the end zone b/c they don't deserve good seats.

I do think that the students who get there early and are passionate about the game deserve to have really great seats and I think moving them further away from the action would definitely hurt the game day atmosphere in the stadium. I love looking across the student section and seeing a sea of gold cheering hard. I think you lose some of the atmosphere the further you move them from the action of the game and from the team.

When the recruits come to see the game don't they sit with the senior/grad/law section? You'll find some of the biggest diehard Buffs there and I'd definitely have to agree with you that it adds to the game atmosphere. I like to watch games from there (usually get there about 1hr early) since I get to stand the entire game and sing the fight song with everyone as loud as I can. I go ape**** and even in that section I've gotten "WTF?!" looks from people. People have even told me personally that they enjoy my antics and enthusiasm for the Buffs. I'm loud on every play, get others to be loud and enjoy the section since it definitely has more knowledgeable football fans than just about anywhere else I've sat.

This was the section that I always sat in (except for 30-3 where I sat in the endzone...****ing disgraceful) and fell in love with CU football....in our 2-10 year to boot. I'd be sad if it moved, but I'd definitely understand. The AD needs all of the revenue it can get, especially since some of the bigger boys in CFB are definitely pulling away from the pack as far as revenue is concerned and $$ has always been king (although it does not always produce success). If it wasn't for sitting in that section I seriously doubt I would be a season ticket holder to this day. This is all anecdotal though.

If they moved it to the 15-30 and had both the upper and lower section the gameday experience in Folsom would change. As much as I hate the student section sometimes, the atmosphere (GOLD rush and noise) would definitely change. Maybe for the best, maybe for the worst. Students will always show up, be loud, know (almost) nothing and be drunk off of their asses though. But they definitely help get the older crowd into the game and off of their butts.

All I know is that is that if the band was not opposite of most of the student section then NO ONE will hear them play and know when to sing the fight song. That's the way it is at New Mexico and it makes for one ****ty, ****ty, gameday experience. I would definitely be opposed to that.

My question is simple and a i'll ask it again; would you still oppose CU playing all home games in Denver if it was a financial benefit to the school greater than playing in Folsom?

I will answer simply: hell no.

I will answer simply: hell no.
It is more than a financial decision. Moving the games to Denver could be a financial win, but could (or likely would) lessen the Buffs' homefield advantage, thereby costing them victories. In that case, the answer should be: hell yes.

However, one must look at the longer term aspects. The financial benefits of games in Denver could eventually lead to improved football facilities, more national exposure, better recruits, and more victories. In that case, Boulder Buff is correct: hell no.

Why not a compromise...play half the home games in Denver, and half in Boulder?

I sat in 117 from 99-03 with a group of about 4 other doc students and we thought it was hilarious that we were given essentially the best seats in the stadium for, at that time, about 35-50$ a season ticket. Overwhelmingly, most grad students not from Colorado and law students remain fans of their alma mater in my experience....which is almost 10 years of either working on a degree or working at CU.

you can disagree with me, or kevtch about not getting to sit in 117 as a senior....but, also, most of the undergrads i know which is about 80-120 over the last academic year see the football games as something you do as a FR or soph as a social thing or to meet people. people who post on this board are not the part of the fan-base Bohn needs to grow the financial or ticket base.

given we were paying about 8$ a game for seats on the 40 about 20 rows up....I wouldn't have cared much if it was in 116--were were so far below market-values it seemed like a steal to even be in the stadium. it seems like, as Sacky says, an inefficient allocation of resources to me.

i think there is some logic to giving grads and law/business grads good seats since ideally you are trying to grow an alumni/donor group from them (those that remain along the Front Range) but you can still put them way ahead of market-price/value in 116....and re-vitalize 117 as a significant profit area. maybe that sounds fan-unfriendly or unfair to seniors but I promise you it's a lot closer to thinking how big-time AD's think than the current policy.

and the more efficient way to address the grow the donor base with CU advanced degrees is not *where* they sit *while* they are students but making entry-level season tickets affordable *when* they graduate. most grad students aren't making 6 figures the first years out of school so they can blithely throw down season ticket money...especially if they have a young family or are working 80 hours a week as a grunt at some Denver law firm. that's where, gaining the continuity of support, the loyal donor is going to come from.

Last edited:
and the more efficient way to address the grow the donor base with CU advanced degrees is not *where* they sit *while* they are students but making entry-level season tickets affordable *when* they graduate. most grad students aren't making 6 figures the first years out of school so they can blithely throw down season ticket money...especially if they have a young family or are working 80 hours a week as a grunt at some Denver law firm. that's where, gaining the continuity of support, the loyal donor is going to come from.

Bingo. I'd love to have a tiered season ticket system put in place for recent graduates. Something that's like 20% of the regular price for the first year after graduation, moving up to 100% in the 5th or 6th year. Make 200 or so of these packages available every year. By year 6, you have just sold an additional 1,200 season tickets.

My last game was 62-36, it was a great memory! Unfortunately, I got priced out the day I graduated so I can care less what they do with the prices. The only way I will ever see any more CU games is if someone is trying to get rid of tickets on craigslist or something like that. Every time I looked at trying to get a ticket this season the cheapest I could find were around $100/person. Double that for my wife, and add parking and some stale/soggy stadium food with flat colas and we are at a minimum of $230 to see us score 13 points from the nosebleed section.

For that much, I am ready to sit on my own couch and be able to pause the game when I have to take a leak and not miss anything. All that for no extra cost plus I don't have to dodge marshmellows at halftime.

My last game was 62-36, it was a great memory! Unfortunately, I got priced out the day I graduated so I can care less what they do with the prices. The only way I will ever see any more CU games is if someone is trying to get rid of tickets on craigslist or something like that. Every time I looked at trying to get a ticket this season the cheapest I could find were around $100/person. Double that for my wife, and add parking and some stale/soggy stadium food with flat colas and we are at a minimum of $230 to see us score 13 points from the nosebleed section.

For that much, I am ready to sit on my own couch and be able to pause the game when I have to take a leak and not miss anything. All that for no extra cost plus I don't have to dodge marshmellows at halftime.

Dude, you can buy tickets for $25 each from the athletic dept. True, the seats are usually in the upper level or in the North End zone, but who cares?

Back