What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Should UNC have turned down the NIT?

Should Tar Heels have turned down NIT?

• No. They look like bitches (because they are).

• Yes. They should see the NIT as beneath them.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Played in the title game last year.

Preseason #1.

Set record for losses by preseason #1.

Barely missed Dance (20-13, #46 NET).

Received NIT invite and, allegedly, the team voted not to play.

Than the b.s. announcement:

This season was already enough of a disaster for them. Not making the tourney is hard to explain to their fans (and donors.)

They have had trouble keeping focus and intensity all season, the chances of them making a run to win an NIT title, a title that is pretty meaningless in context of their history, would be slim.

A much bigger chance that the players are less than focused, less than motivated, and they end up losing to a school that they consider to be far below them be it a mid-major or small conference or a power conference team that isn't a power program and barely exceeded .500.

Almost nothing to gain and a lot to lose. Don't think it is a great look to pass but makes sense to turn it down

When your goal is to compete for championships every year, playing what amounts to glorified scrimmages is meaningless. Their fans don't care. They should be focused on what went wrong and how to improve next year. Unlike CU which has the goal to get in the dance and advance out of the 1st round. For us the NIT is a chance to evaluate, develope and get better. We fell short but not as far.

Recalling the year UCLA won the NIT and refused to hang the banner in the arena, instead put it up in the men's room.

UNC's declination of the invite is more appropriate, and more classy.

If they had a particularly high rate of injuries and were banged up, I could see foregoing the NIT. Not much to gain from it and potentially a lot to lose. If they are just pouting, then **** those guys.

This is all going to look even worse when they go 17-15 next year and accept the NIT bid. UNC had a great run last year, but Hubert Davis ain't it.

The economics of the NIT is really bad, especially for high-draw teams and teams that host, even more so if they don't make a run, so they can collect more game shares. All revenue is managed and collected by the tourney and then distributed to the schools based on the number of games played. Most costs associated with travel are paid for, and next to nothing for home teams is. Furthermore, they are expected to handle the burden of a number of nickel-and-dime operating costs.

I could see UNC just walking faced with that equation and the risk of an embarrassing early exit like Arizona had a few years back.

The economics of the NIT is really bad, especially for high-draw teams and teams that host, even more so if they don't make a run, so they can collect more game shares. All revenue is managed and collected by the tourney and then distributed to the schools based on the number of games played. Most costs associated with travel are paid for, and next to nothing for home teams is. Furthermore, they are expected to handle the burden of a number of nickel-and-dime operating costs.

I could see UNC just walking faced with that equation and the risk of an embarrassing early exit like Arizona had a few years back.
The money isn't an issue for them.

The embarrassing loss is what they are afraid of.

Winning the NIT does nothing for them, might even attract more attention to them not being in the dance. Losing to a team that wasn't good enough to be one of the 68 isn't something they want to deal with.

My thinking is UNC has a lot of young guys that just didn't get any playing time this year because they ran in back with that same core. Caleb Love, RJ Davis, Bacot, Black and Pete Nance are all Junior, Seniors, RS seniors, you'd think they'd love to give the young guys some run to see what they have and get experience.

I'm imagining going into next year without Tad having seen how Julian is playing, giving Luke another opportunity to start, keep his confidence and good play going, and get Lawson more reps.

Just seems very shortsided for NC, especially if Nance, Bacot, Love and some of that core leave.

This is all going to look even worse when they go 17-15 next year and accept the NIT bid. UNC had a great run last year, but Hubert Davis ain't it.

If they miss the NCAA tournament next year or get in as a low seed and go 1 and done then Davis may become another Matt Doherty

I want to say Kentucky might have gotten bounced in the first round of the NIT four or five years ago. It was a pretty embarrassing loss, but nobody was claiming they shouldn’t have taken the bid. Maybe it was a different team, but I could swear it was UK.

I was out drinking today with a bunch of people watching the tournament and there were a couple of tar hole fans there and I asked them about the NIT, and they were like nah, we don't do the NIT. This is exactly the sense of entitlement as to why this program and their fanbase is so despised. They're no different than Notre Dame football

This decision screams of arrogance which is typical for UNC basketbal. I've heard quite a bit of talk that these guys and didn't enjoy playing together and were flat-out disinterested. Fine, let Bacot, Love and whoever else wants to sit out the NIT and let the younger guys get some playing time.
They should've done that, but typical Carolina didnt. Those ****ing clowns probably thought they deserved a 1 seed in the tourney,wouldn't surprise me at all. I always laugh when UNC says they don't get calls. Really? Go back to the tourney game in '93 or whatever year it was. Our whole goddamn team was in foul trouble.

Back