What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

SI: CU Assistant Coach's Victim Seeks Justice

I think Tumpkin was named Interim DC before Dec. 20th.

Tumpkin is a piece of ****, bottom line. But it always pains me to here how long a woman is willing to take the abuse before doing anything about it. She had to literally fly back and forth half way across the country for 2 years to get abused. Sigh. She only followed through on the charges against Tumpkin because of her son, and otherwise she wouldn't have. Baffling.

I think the fundamental issue here is that HCMM failed morally. From a legal standpoint maybe he did what he was told - but this woman came to him because she didn't have anywhere else to go and HCMM lawyered up. It's shameful.

Well, for starters, she thinks the CU attorney attempted to threaten or intimidate her into silence.

"Jane recalls that Banashek said: I want to devote my time to getting you and Joe healthy, not to helping Joe keep his job and stay out of jail. Can you help me with that?
Despite the severity of the situation, Jane says she couldn’t restrain a chuckle. “I said, ‘Does that work on people?’”
According to Jane, Banashek at that point said, I’m trying to help you, because this could get worse for you.
“That sounds like a threat,” Jane said she replied."
So that's a start (albeit baseless)... What else?

I think the fundamental issue here is that HCMM failed morally. From a legal standpoint maybe he did what he was told - but this woman came to him because she didn't have anywhere else to go and HCMM lawyered up. It's shameful.
And he couldn't do much to help so I dont know where your agenda lays. Because there ARE legal ramifications and I'm sure it tore him up.

Well what is he supposed to do? Outside of the 911 call on record, where the victim told police it was just rough sex, there isn't any other evidence to support her claim. until the TRO on Dec. 20th. She even said she used to cover up the bruises.

I'm confused as to what MM was morally supposed to do that he didn't do... He said he was going to inform the university and the police and she specifically told him she didn't want the police involved or Tumpkin to lose his job... Uhhhhh... What else do you want at that point?

He couldn't do much to help? Says who? Based on what? He did absolutely nothing and then promoted Tumpkin. My "agenda" is to try and be a decent human ahead of rooting for my team. Maybe you should give it a try.
Because there ARE legal ramifications involved. I don't get the axe you are grinding. He did what ANY person would have done in his position and was got an attorney involved. In this day and age, it's what has to be done.

And he couldn't do much to help so I dont know where your agenda lays. Because there ARE legal ramifications and I'm sure it tore him up.

He's a troll and has been for years. I'd invite you all to look through his post history.

Well what is he supposed to do? Outside of the 911 call on record, where the victim told police it was just rough sex, there isn't any other evidence to support her claim. until the TRO on Dec. 20th. She even said she used to cover up the bruises.

I already said - you put him on leave and you escalate to law enforcement. It's the only option. If he is exonerated then he gets his job back.

I'm confused as to what MM was morally supposed to do that he didn't do... He said he was going to inform the university and the police and she specifically told him she didn't want the police involved or Tumpkin to lose his job... Uhhhhh... What else do you want at that point?

She also thought it a large enough problem to call him for help - so maybe do something to help her (which may include involving law enforcement for her own safety against her wishes) and not just try to cover it up while you promote him?

He's a troll and has been for years. I'd invite you all to look through his post history.

Eat a dick. 3rd generation buffs fan, class of 06, longtime season ticket holder... I just don't often join the circle jerks here.

In reality CU could have moved, what, 1.5 maybe 2 weeks faster?
Certainly not a lot of time, but if they had moved that much faster, they might not be dealing with a spread in SI and the inevitable followup coverage, and hopefully not much more after that. CU, when handed any potential controversy, can find a way to screw it up just enough to be a problem.

Let me ask you a question: What would you have done differently? Do you think any mistakes or moral lapses occurred here, or is it just another example of the dirty media looking to smear poor CU?
In hindsight, I guess I would have suspended Tumpkin with pay on 12/20, as long as there was no potential for him to sue the university in the event he was cleared of everything. Other than that, I seriously don't understand what else MM or RG could have done. Mac told her he was going to inform the police and she specifically told him not to. Once Mac went to RG and Distefano, lawyers were immediately involved and none of them were allowed to speak with the victim.

Certainly not a lot of time, but if they had moved that much faster, they might not be dealing with a spread in SI and the inevitable followup coverage, and hopefully not much more after that. CU, when handed any potential controversy, can find a way to screw it up just enough to be a problem.

Yep, the short timeline is just clouding the issue.

You can make a pretty solid argument that Tumpkin should not have traveled with the team to the Alamo Bowl.

She also thought it a large enough problem to call him for help - so maybe do something to help her (which may include involving law enforcement for her own safety against her wishes) and not just try to cover it up while you promote him?
Tumpkin is slimey as **** for doing what he did, I don't think you'll find anyone who will say otherwise. But even if MM escalated it to the police,She could say the same thing she said on the 911 call and deny deny deny. You are making an equally large assumption as those that you claim others are making. No one knows what she said the MM. She could have flat out said she would deny everything. There are a lot of logical leaps on both sides of this argument

Of course our perspective is based on knowing everything after the fact. Mac's perspective was being blindsided out of the blue. Maybe it could've been handled better. I'm sure he cared about her but he probably immediately went to RG who probably immediately called the attorney who probably immediately went into defense mode assuming a huge lawsuit was coming and did what attornies do and told everyone to not talk to the victim. I'd bet Mac and his wife hated that but were sort of bound to obey legal council.

The only problem, legally, is that if they did move faster and were wrong then they would be facing a messy legal battle on the other side.

As I think about this more, the only "bad" I see here is what was said by the DA.

Without knowing all, or probably 75% of the facts, this is the absolute furthest extent one could argue CU could/should have gone.
I think we should also keep in mind this was not the only side of the story Mac and RG heard. I'm sure Tumpkin was telling everyone these were lies, she was just upset, he would never do that, etc. He initially fought the TRO didn't he?

Now that I've got my selfish response out of the way, I really feel for this poor woman. What a horrible thing to go through, on all levels.
This.

We seem to be losing sight of her in a lot of this. I hope she can find some peace and have a better life. Nobody deserves to go through what she went through.

The only problem, legally, is that if they did move faster and were wrong then they would be facing a messy legal battle on the other side.

As I think about this more, the only "bad" I see here is what was said by the DA.

Maybe, I just have a hard time thinking getting a phone call from the victim followed by a TRO doesn't give an employer some latitude for at least temporary discipline. I sure as sh*t wouldn't have let him DC the bowl game after that phone call though. Beyond the moral reasons, I really don't think I need to give a guy in that headspace more responsibility.

Maybe, I just have a hard time thinking getting a phone call from the victim followed by a TRO doesn't give an employer some latitude for at least temporary discipline. I sure as sh*t wouldn't have let him DC the bowl game after that phone call though. Beyond the moral reasons, I really don't think I need to give a guy in that headspace more responsibility.
I would not be surprised if Mac was ordered/advised to proceed as usual until everything was figured out and that's why Tumpkin ended up as interim dc.

Had she consulted with an attorney before talking to his boss? Who calls their husbands boss to make allegations of abuse?
The cynical lawyer side of me says she set them up like bowling pins. The compassionate side of me says they made sure she was safe, and I am glad she is.

I hate that this alleged dirt bag brought this on CU.

My question is why was Tumpkin's defense attorney the first person to contact her after she spoke with Mac? Even if they wanted to keep Mac out of it, a CU attorney could have reached out to her and said that they were looking into it. That would have been far more palatable than Tumpkin's defense attorney.

My question is why was Tumpkin's defense attorney the first person to contact her after she spoke with Mac? Even if they wanted to keep Mac out of it, a CU attorney could have reached out to her and said that they were looking into it. That would have been far more palatable than Tumpkin's defense attorney.
Because cu can't really do anything since she isn't going to the police. So mac most likely told Joe about it and he got a lawyer and the lawyer tried to settle it so it wouldn't go public.

Back