What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

SI: CU Assistant Coach's Victim Seeks Justice

She allegedly told Mac she was afraid Tumpkin might kill himself or someone else. How anyone here can defend Mac and RG not going immediately to the authorities is astounding to me.
They probably consulted admin and then legal immediately. She went to the authorities within days of calling. She did the right thing. Mac did the right thing per university. She wanted Mac to be aware of what was going on which is hard because she was trying to help give him a heads up. It instead lead to judgement against him.

Why did CU suspend Tumpkin immediately after the Camera publicly revealed the restraining order? Coincidence?
There is probably a clause in the employment contracts that allows them to do that, like actions detrimental to the reputation of the university or something like that. Until it became public knowledge, they probably didn't have the ability under the contract to do that as he wasn't arrested or charged at the time the TPO was issued. Once it became public knowledge they had cause to suspend him. If he hadn't agreed to resign, he would have been fired probably as soon as the TPO was made permanent or when charges were filed.

They probably consulted admin and then legal immediately. She went to the authorities within days of calling. She did the right thing. Mac did the right thing per university. She wanted Mac to be aware of what was going on which is hard because she was trying to help give him a heads up. It instead lead to judgement against him.
It should lead to judgement against Mac. Unless the story is totally fabricated. When you hear concern that someone might kill himself or others, your first call shouldn't be to a f**king lawyer or the HR department, you call authorities immediately. Suppose Tumpkin had killed himself after that warning from Jane - do you think "well I immediately called my lawyer so I thought we were good" would have absolved Mac?

I like Mac and don't think he's a bad guy, but if the story is true this is a massive failing and now it's damage control time and Plati sucks at damage control.

Statement from Phil:
http://www.colorado.edu/today/2017/...arned-handling-tumpkin-domestic-violence-case

I can understand the situation was confusing, but should have had a sense of urgency to figure it out you'd think.

This is what I figured would come out. That first paragraph is just a shame and makes CU look very cold.

Also, Phil mentions a lack of training in the community of mandatory reporters and that in the future they should err on the side of caution and just report even if the victim isn't part of the campus. The sad thing there is that Phil knew early on, right after Rick George, and he didn't go to the OIEC until much later when official legal documentation was filed. Now he's saying the community needs more training in this? If by community, he means himself, then I agree. Ugh.

This says things that needed to be said, but it also shows that CU leadership was cold to the victim in the process, and that they didn't know what they were doing.

Statement from Phil:
http://www.colorado.edu/today/2017/...arned-handling-tumpkin-domestic-violence-case

I can understand the situation was confusing, but should have had a sense of urgency to figure it out you'd think.

It took 7 weeks from being notified by the victim to Tumpkin getting fired. That is pretty damn fast especially when bureaucracy is involved.

Obviously the CU statement is going to protect CU, so I would imagine the truth is somewhere between the two accounts.

The biggest problem that CU needs to fix is their reporting rules, and it looks like DiStephano has made thathe change effective immediately.

It took 7 weeks from being notified by the victim to Tumpkin getting fired. That is pretty damn fast especially when bureaucracy is involved.

Obviously the CU statement is going to protect CU, so I would imagine the truth is somewhere between the two accounts.

The biggest problem that CU needs to fix is their reporting rules, and it looks like DiStephano has made thathe change effective immediately.

And the right thing was done in the end. It wasn't done because of media pressure or other self-centered interest, they did the right thing because it was what they needed to do. Took them a little time to get there but as S2S mentions in an organization like this that is fast.

Somebody looking for a story when their isn't one. Hindsight is 20/20 and I've never seen a lawyer who couldn't come up with a better way to do things after those things are already done but in the end this wasn't handled perfectly but it also wasn't handled badly.

Time to move on to something real.

This is what I figured would come out. That first paragraph is just a shame and makes CU look very cold.

Also, Phil mentions a lack of training in the community of mandatory reporters and that in the future they should err on the side of caution and just report even if the victim isn't part of the campus. The sad thing there is that Phil knew early on, right after Rick George, and he didn't go to the OIEC until much later when official legal documentation was filed. Now he's saying the community needs more training in this? If by community, he means himself, then I agree. Ugh.

This says things that needed to be said, but it also shows that CU leadership was cold to the victim in the process, and that they didn't know what they were doing.

i was going to post the same thing, more or less. i don't feel very satisfied with Phil referring to a strong policy that clearly failed at the institutional level. and by "community" i guess he means him, rick george, and coach mac. i also feel like it's a pretty big dodge to say that the victim is outside the student/faculty/staff legal blanket. or that it didn't "happen" on the campus. wtf? also, feels kinda straw man to deny that CU is paying for Tumpkin's legal bill......after already discrediting SI as a source (didn't report timeline accurately). i read the SI piece, i don't recall the author stating that CU was paying for Tumpkin's legal. i feel like i'm being fluffed there.

i worked at CU for almost a decade and have a grad degree.....and the school succeeds in spite of itself, i tell you. nothing the admin clowns do there should surprise me. but, i don't know what else could have been done at a legal/institutional level. personally, someone needed to reach out to the victim.

The training should've been every recent example of AD's and Universities that have ****ed around on issues like this and made bad problem's worse. Not sure what to do? Ask the OIEC. This looks like they sat around shrugging their shoulders for 3 weeks. Smart.

The training should've been every recent example of AD's and Universities that have ****ed around on issues like this and made bad problem's worse. Not sure what to do? Ask the OIEC. This looks like they sat around shrugging their shoulders for 3 weeks. Smart.

The mandatory reporting rules are specific. Must involve a Student, Faculty, or happen on Campus. Neither of those were the case here. Obviously that policy needs to be broadened and it looks like it is.

One of the other things that deals with the optics in this case is that CU looks reactionary. They obviously knew ahead of time that SI was going to run this piece. If they had issues this statement yesterday, this isn't even a discussion.

CU is a chronic CLUSTER**** in terms of PR and Self-Flagellation. Tell these PC assholes to **** Off.

Can we all agree Platies old school reactionary response to this made things a lot worse?

Love auto-correct, considering Dave's appearance "Platie" could be a good name.

This is a completely different media world than it was 20+ years ago. The first and main source of news and information for many if not most people is the internet. Everybody has a camera and video and sound recording available on their phones. The expectation of privacy is no more, somebody is going to dig up anything you bury and lots you didn't.

Events like this one bring in a whole ball of things he isn't prepared for. Everything is a legal issue now, if it isn't handled that way you are setting youself up to take a beating. @Darth Snow you are a lawyer and probably much better suited to comment on this but my impression is that not only does Plati not know how to think with the legal ramifications in mind but he doesn't even know what questions to ask his legal counsel much less when to ask them.

Plati seems completely unprepared to deal in this world and he comes off as clueless because of it. Plati's response, like so many of his responses, only fanned the flames.

dudes, chill. it was christmas break.....you can't expect the PR wagon to be rolling. if you just rub your hands together, maybe it will all go away before the students come back.

i'm not a huge fan of Plati.....a student of mine who did the sports radio show for 1190 said he kind of a prick to them (student radio guys). cold, didn't go out of his way to help them.....which i thought was sort of weak.

Reactions: DBT
That is toeing the line on what is now called "victim blaming".
I'm not victim blaming at all. I just want to know why, if she was so concerned he was going to hurt himself, or someone else (who very well could have been Mac himself), she would call Mac first. I don't know what she expected him to do.

The mandatory reporting rules are specific. Must involve a Student, Faculty, or happen on Campus. Neither of those were the case here. Obviously that policy needs to be broadened and it looks like it is.

That's my point, they should've known better given the climate to pull their heads out of the policy bible and use some common sense. How many times has "Well, I told my superiors...", or "Well, she hasn't pressed charges so..." come off as a really bad stance to take lately? Christ, you'd think given CU's history someone could've realized this was not a situation to be reactive about.

dudes, chill. it was christmas break.....you can't expect the PR wagon to be rolling. if you just rub your hands together, maybe it will all go away before the students come back.

i'm not a huge fan of Plati.....a student of mine who did the sports radio show for 1190 said he kind of a prick to them (student radio guys). cold, didn't go out of his way to help them.....which i thought was sort of weak.

I was just strolling (trolling?) through here (like I do a lot), but what I saw here made me register. Not sure who would have said that, but I worked three years at KVCU and also took Dave's class, and he is really great to the students. Even though we can't broadcast football games live due to the KOA contract, he has given the student station a box on the radio level forever. And the field trips we make in his class are all designed for our total enjoyment mixed in with a lot of education and experiences most will never see. No one's perfect and I am sure some had had problems with him, but don't bag on what him and his staff have done for students.

I was just strolling (trolling?) through here (like I do a lot), but what I saw here made me register. Not sure who would have said that, but I worked three years at KVCU and also took Dave's class, and he is really great to the students. Even though we can't broadcast football games live due to the KOA contract, he has given the student station a box on the radio level forever. And the field trips we make in his class are all designed for our total enjoyment mixed in with a lot of education and experiences most will never see. No one's perfect and I am sure some had had problems with him, but don't bag on what him and his staff have done for students.

i'm glad to hear that. really. because when you are cashing checks from a university, your first obligation is to students.

i'm glad to hear that. really. because when you are cashing checks from a university, your first obligation is to students.
Mick, those field trips are incredible (Rockies, Nuggets, Broncos on draft night, CU basketball games), and he feeds us out of his own pocket and copies everything so we have no expenses for text books for his class. I'd love to know the gripe one of my peers had with him, because he always was so helpful with the radio station, gave us extra passes for the box, coordinated interviews and his staff does the same (they are really great too). Only thing he didn't do that I can think of that might have made someone mad was that we requested the players come over to the studio for a weeknight deal and he preferred they be taped in advance so the player didn't have to have an obligation in the evening.

Plati seems to get good reviews from some corners, and seems great strictly as a SID because he literally lives for it. As PR, he's a disaster and I don't understand why the AD or the University doesn't deem it necessary to spend some money on a dedicated professional or two to handle that part. Especially considering the fact that CU manages to step on its dick once or twice a year with the press.

Plati seems to get good reviews from some corners, and seems great strictly as a SID because he literally lives for it. As PR, he's a disaster and I don't understand why the AD or the University doesn't deem it necessary to spend some money on a dedicated professional or two to handle that part. Especially considering the fact that CU manages to step on its dick once or twice a year with the press.
He told us in class where he went through crisis management scenarios that any situation that has nothing to do with athletics is automatically coordinated by the campus PR people. He said he sometimes has input but most of the time those situations are taken over and mostly driven by the university legal people. Could tell he wanted to tell us more but pretty much cut it off there. I remember that because of the comparison he used, citing a Flintstones where Fred wanted to be Mr. Slate for a day to be the boss, only to find out Mr. Slate answered to a board of directors. People think you're in charge and you're not. I saw the layers of people in the journalism school, can't imagine what it's like on the upper levels of the university.

While I am a posting tear, I drove into Boulder with my dad for the Arizona State game from Denver and he raised a good point. Why when they redid US36 years ago why didn't they make it three lanes from Baseline to Colorado so traffic wouldn't backup so easily? He surmised something about a years long City vs. CU fight. Maybe this needs to be its own thread, but does anyone know of petty issues where the city would do things like that?

And the right thing was done in the end. It wasn't done because of media pressure or other self-centered interest, they did the right thing because it was what they needed to do. Took them a little time to get there but as S2S mentions in an organization like this that is fast.

Somebody looking for a story when their isn't one. Hindsight is 20/20 and I've never seen a lawyer who couldn't come up with a better way to do things after those things are already done but in the end this wasn't handled perfectly but it also wasn't handled badly.

Time to move on to something real.
You're going to have to help me understand why it takes "an organization like this" longer than any other to do to right thing? He wasn't a union employee. Mac has a boss and an HR department like many other large organizations - why would the wheels move any slower here than other large organizations? Sorry, but that excuse falls flat to me.

He told us in class where he went through crisis management scenarios that any situation that has nothing to do with athletics is automatically coordinated by the campus PR people. He said he sometimes has input but most of the time those situations are taken over and mostly driven by the university legal people. Could tell he wanted to tell us more but pretty much cut it off there. I remember that because of the comparison he used, citing a Flintstones where Fred wanted to be Mr. Slate for a day to be the boss, only to find out Mr. Slate answered to a board of directors. People think you're in charge and you're not. I saw the layers of people in the journalism school, can't imagine what it's like on the upper levels of the university.

i wouldn't say this is an issue that has nothing to do with athletics.

seriously. i mean i was on campus every day when the Barney rape allegations were big national news. Ward Chuchill, too. you couldn't be worse than how CU handled those. but, we got our chance now. Plati's #1 job seems to be fun facts about the last time we beat Kansas or drinky tweets.

Back