What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Simmons

Which is odd because we manage to get tons of top rated WRs to look at CU (Diante Jackson, Markish Jones, Emory Blake, Corey Surrency were all either committed at one time or potential signees on signing day). We just struggle to not only close on these guys (a pro-CU grandma would've helped), but we struggle to keep our scholarship guys on campus (Celestine, Blackmon, Smith). On top of all that, our highest rated WR recruit under Hawkins is in his 3rd year in the program and he has yet to see the field! Frustrating..

YouTube - Beerfest Frustrating

Indeed. If I remember correctly Hawk's first real recruiting class ranked #1 or #2 in the nation for receivers; it featured Simas (top ranked receiver in CA), Celestine and Smith. I would have never visualized that position to be one of our weakest three years down the road.

...go check your shower drain for hair. Is there enough money in your and your parent's 401K? That prostate is fine.

Oh yeah. This Simmons situation kinda reminds me of the PT Gates.

Glad to help with that anxiety problem.:smile2:

Hair lost in the shower drain stopped causing anxiety about 10 years ago. That ship has sailed, and I am a few years away from becoming Capt. Stubing... :huh:

The 401(k) sucks these days, but is getting better. I think the folks is fine, but they have made it abundantly clear they will not die until it is spent... :cool:

The prostate seems to be fine, but I'm not about to get it checked after reading Walrus and Leash's contributions to the most embarassing moments thread. That's a muscle I now know will not be getting stretched for any reason for the rest of my life.... :smile2:

If there were going to be an issue, I think it would have come to light by now. We're less than a week away from the beginning of camp. We already know about Moten, Nuckols and Simon. If Simmons were going to be a problem, I think it would be known by this point.

Sorry Sacky, but a JC guy who had to take/pass a ton of summer classes at JC is quite different than the Cali HS kids. If things go well, should know soon. However - the NCAA sometimes takes forever, especially if they are questioning something. Visualize them needed another piece of info and the JC office is closed for two weeks because the lady went to a quilting convention..... you get the idea.

CUBuffs
"[FONT=&quot]If all goes as Eric Kiesau hopes (and Monday morning his hopes were extremely high), Andre Simmons will arrive on campus Thursday morning and be ready to participate in the Buffaloes’ first practice the following day."[/FONT]

If I remember the PT Gates situation correctly, he wasn't allowed to practice with the team until the eligibility issue was resolved. In the end, he wasn't eligible. I suspect the coaching staff knew that there would be issues, and didn't have him participate in order to get reps to kids they knew would be there. I'll stick by my contention that if there were going to be issues, we would know about them by now. At the very least, the coaches wouldn't be talking about Simmons reporting.

On a side note (Since WR recruitment was mentioned), Markish Jones did not get into Cal.

So what happens in a situation like this? Does the kid automatically go Juco, or can he try to catch on with another D-1 school?

So what happens in a situation like this? Does the kid automatically go Juco, or can he try to catch on with another D-1 school?

That's a damn good question. If he cleared the NCAA as a full qualifier, and Cal refused him thus voiding his LOI, wouldn't he be free to sign with anyone?

That's a damn good question. If he cleared the NCAA as a full qualifier, and Cal refused him thus voiding his LOI, wouldn't he be free to sign with anyone?

Paging Mr. Snyder, Old Balls Snyder, please come to the white courtesy phone....:lol:

All I can find says he did not qualify academically. It doesn't mention whether Cal rejected him or whether he didn't get through the NCAA clearinghouse.

EDIT: Here's what I found:

"Jones, a former Broome High standout receiver who infamously signed with both the Tigers and Florida State in 2007, is not on California's roster after signing with the Golden Bears in February, a school spokesman confirmed. It is believed Jones did not meet NCAA academic qualifying standards."

http://www.thesunnews.com/sports/story/994048.html

Last edited:
CUBuffs
"[FONT=&quot]If all goes as Eric Kiesau hopes (and Monday morning his hopes were extremely high), Andre Simmons will arrive on campus Thursday morning and be ready to participate in the Buffaloes’ first practice the following day."[/FONT]

Simmons might be out of shape and we know what happened to Darrell Scott last season.

Simmons might be out of shape and we know what happened to Darrell Scott last season.

One would think that if he put forth the effort to qualify academically, that he would also be physically ready to start practice. Especially if he was expecting to get playing time.

One would think that if he put forth the effort to qualify academically, that he would also be physically ready to start practice. Especially if he was expecting to get playing time.

Here's a quote from the Brooks article on cubuffs.com:
Players say there’s no substitute for the real `Pit’ thing, but Simmons insists he will show up ``in shape’’ and eager to trim his most recent 40-yard dash timing of 4.46 seconds to the 4.39 he claims as his best.
He also said he has been catching about 50 footballs a day launched by a passing machine – an endeavor that should have helped him maintain his hand-eye coordination, but couldn’t have approximated running routes and catching passes thrown by one of his future quarterbacks.
But those details, minor compared to those of the past seven months, will be worked out once Simmons finally is present and participating – hopefully on Friday.

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=204768139
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

That was the same problem with Scott last year. He put too much effort academically that he stopped working out completely last summer.

Curious, has Simmons already cleared the NCAA clearinghouse and just waiting for CU admissions? If he still needs NCAA clearance, how long does that typically take? I would think that this would be a very busy week for the folks at the clearinghouse because I'm sure that this is not the only guy in this position.

Also, has anyone heard if Tuioti-Mariner has made any decision? Will he be at camp?

Curious, has Simmons already cleared the NCAA clearinghouse and just waiting for CU admissions? If he still needs NCAA clearance, how long does that typically take? I would think that this would be a very busy week for the folks at the clearinghouse because I'm sure that this is not the only guy in this position.

Also, has anyone heard if Tuioti-Mariner has made any decision? Will he be at camp?

Pretty sure MTM is taking a year off to go on a mission. That's the last I heard. Makes sense, too. He'll come back and still have four years to play.

If MTM's going on his mission, it seems to me that he's leaving kind of late unless he's planning on missing 2 seasons. Those things are at least a full 12 months, aren't they?

That was the same problem with Scott last year. He put too much effort academically that he stopped working out completely last summer.

Only difference would be experience I would think. Scott seemed to have problems adjusting to the speed and tougher physical play of the college game. Injuries certainly didn't help there.

Simmons at least has an idea what he's in for being a JC transfer. His JC coach also said he was double and triple teamed all last season. Here's hoping he can come in and have the same impact Mohler did. :thumbsup:

Only difference would be experience I would think. Scott seemed to have problems adjusting to the speed and tougher physical play of the college game. Injuries certainly didn't help there.

Simmons at least has an idea what he's in for being a JC transfer. His JC coach also said he was double and triple teamed all last season. Here's hoping he can come in and have the same impact Mohler did. :thumbsup:
Good point Scotch.

Saw article on CU At the Game stating that neither Simmons or Jefferson have even cleared CU admissions yet per a reporter from Scout.com. I was kind of surprised that they would be allowed to participate in camp if they hadn't been admitted to CU yet. These NCAA rules sure are hard to figure out. They would have had to have been in classes at CU to participate in summer workouts with the team but that same restriction doesn't apply to the fall camp. While somewhat risky... guess it is good for us though.

Also Scott was only 18 Simmons should be 20 which is a huge gap in maturity and physical development.

Back