What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sipili Suspended!!!

We don't need another Rae Carruth slipping through the system/hiding in the trunk.

:smile2:

The irony is that Rae Carruth would have been the last guy any of us would have suspected of being such a complete douchebag. When he was here, he was a model citizen.

Look the players deserve punishment, but this entire thing looks like bull****. Sure, they needed to walk away from idiots trying to fight them, but the other two guys are definitely at fault too. One thing I can't stand at bars is watching a bunch of spoiled, arrogant pieces of **** that think they're so ****ing tough. They get into all these stupid push fights, and have to be taken out of the bars...

...I bet the two guys that were fighting Perri and Sipili were assholes. Apparently Perri offended one of the girls with a comment, but that **** happens all the time - not to excuse it. But from a guy's perspective, know your ****ing place and stop being full of idiotic pride. Perri started ****, these guys escalated it, and Sipili ended it.

All parties are at fault here. Not just the football players, and it's annoying that only the football players are going to get cast in a bad light by the media. Punishment seems warranted and it seems that Hawk is on top of it - but what about the douches that actually thought they could fight Perri and Sipili? They're talking to a ****ing lawyer??...they fought and are at blame too!

I just cannot agree with that...Perri has already been in a couple of altercations -- is he a bad egg? Where is the leadership of Sipili...could he have just stepped in and tried to defuse the situation...tackling and punching a guy does not seem like a good response. Sipili ended it alright but there was probably a better way.

The comment that fights happen all of the time is off base...99% of so-called fights are no more than shoving matches. I doubt that many here have been involved in a real fistfight as an adult(at least I hope not). A lot of damage can be done with fist to the face, what if something happened and the guy had died...Sipili would be facing worse charges.

I just cannot agree with that...Perri has already been in a couple of altercations -- is he a bad egg? Where is the leadership of Sipili...could he have just stepped in and tried to defuse the situation...tackling and punching a guy does not seem like a good response. Sipili ended it alright but there was probably a better way.

The comment that fights happen all of the time is off base...99% of so-called fights are no more than shoving matches. I doubt that many here have been involved in a real fistfight as an adult(at least I hope not). A lot of damage can be done with fist to the face, what if something happened and the guy had died...Sipili would be facing worse charges.

Well said. I can think of one serious fight anybody knew in college was involved in. That's it. Fights don't happen all the time, unless you're doing something to cause it to get so serious.

IThe comment that fights happen all of the time is off base...99% of so-called fights are no more than shoving matches. I doubt that many here have been involved in a real fistfight as an adult(at least I hope not). A lot of damage can be done with fist to the face, what if something happened and the guy had died...Sipili would be facing worse charges.

i dunno. i was in a few fist fights in college. nothing where anyone got their face caved in, but stuff i probably would have avoided with more maturity. young guys, alcohol, and testosterone are an ugly mix. football players have to be the ones to walk away because they are held to a higher standard. i do think the fights now seem to be more violent in general (altho i did know a guy in hs whose face was completely caved in in a fist fight way back then). guys now seem to be kicking when guys are down and there is a lot more emphasis on doing damage rather than ending the fight. me, when i was in those few fights, my goal was always to put the other guy down fast so that it would be over, not to see if i can **** him up permanently.

sipili had to be suspended and i am happy that hawkins is dealing with this stuff in an appropriate way, but i don't know that you are ever going to be able to eliminate fighting where young guys and alcohol mix.

no cu football player should be throwing any punch ever....

the attitude they need to have is to laugh at these people who chide them....... laugh and walk away..... these schmucks are not worth it.

This sounds good but I think it's a little more complicated and harder to do than that.

We recruited these kids in part because they are aggressive angst filled scrappers - that's part of why they are good football players. Furthermore our coaching staff cultivates this scrappy aggressive attitude and teaches the kids how to channel it into their actions when facing a physical confrontation on the football field. I'm not saying our coaching staff is encouraging them to fight on the field (or off it for that matter) but they are teaching them to use those emotions in their actions. I can see how it could be easy for a young man who's been trained to harness his aggression to make a bad judgment call and use it in the wrong place at the wrong time in the wrong way. "Use your aggression here, but not over here". Not everyone has got their emotions on a switch.

Sipili and the others were clearly wrong and a strong punishment is fully warranted (a whole season suspension is not unreasonable to me). Walking away is the right answer in these situations. I also think it's foolish to believe we will get these kids to do it all the time. They are kids learning to be young men and they will make mistakes. It doesn't make it right but it is reality.

... I'm not saying our coaching staff is encouraging them to fight on the field (or off it for that matter) but they are teaching them to use those emotions in their actions.

One of the big differences between Barnett and Hawk is how they handle fights in practice.

Barnett saw it as a sign of toughness and wanted his player to have a mean streak.

There was a fight in practice last spring and Hawk stopped everything and made the entire team run gassers. Hawk wants all emotion channeled at the opponent on the field.

Not saying one is better than the other. And Sipili should have known this having been in the program for a year. Perri didn't know and Sipili should have been teaching him. Could be one reason why Sipili's punishment is harsher than Perri - he knew better.

This sounds good but I think it's a little more complicated and harder to do than that.

We recruited these kids in part because they are aggressive angst filled scrappers - that's part of why they are good football players. Furthermore our coaching staff cultivates this scrappy aggressive attitude and teaches the kids how to channel it into their actions when facing a physical confrontation on the football field. I'm not saying our coaching staff is encouraging them to fight on the field (or off it for that matter) but they are teaching them to use those emotions in their actions. I can see how it could be easy for a young man who's been trained to harness his aggression to make a bad judgment call and use it in the wrong place at the wrong time in the wrong way. "Use your aggression here, but not over here". Not everyone has got their emotions on a switch.

Sipili and the others were clearly wrong and a strong punishment is fully warranted (a whole season suspension is not unreasonable to me). Walking away is the right answer in these situations. I also think it's foolish to believe we will get these kids to do it all the time. They are kids learning to be young men and they will make mistakes. It doesn't make it right but it is reality.

I have a couple of friends who played Pro football and one is the most tightly wound guys I have ever known. He played DL and is huge, he said he has never been in a fight off of the FB Field. A lot of guys have tried to pick fights with him to prove themselves but as he says it just is not worth it.

Yes, people make mistakes especially young people but that in and of itself is not a defense...people also pay for those mistakes. Sipili, Perri, and Taj are all paying for their mistake.

Sipili had to be suspended and i am happy that hawkins is dealing with this stuff in an appropriate way, but i don't know that you are ever going to be able to eliminate fighting where young guys and alcohol mix.

Agreed. you'll never eliminate it, but you should be able to minimize it. and for those who don't get the hint that it's not OK, they can exit stage left as far as I'm concerned. I'm OK with second chances, but that's about it. If a guy can't get his **** together after 2 chances, kick him to the curb. I don't care who it is.

Back