What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Skiers Ready For NCAA Title Defense

Oh oh- doesn'look like the women's race went that well. The Buffs are behind all 4 of our main competitors, and got less than 1/2 of the points that leader DU earned.
Edit- actually it' quite a bit less than half. DU has 80 points; the Buffs only 30. (Can't tell for sure if everyone's in or not.)

Last edited:
The men's race has begun. This looks like it's going to be a quick day. (I was worried I might have to make a decision between this and WBB, but this should be done within 30 minutes or so.)

Oh oh- doesn'look like the women's race went that well. The Buffs are behind all 4 of our main competitors, and got less than 1/2 of the points that leader DU earned.
Edit- actually it' quite a bit less than half. DU has 80 points; the Buffs only 30. (Can't tell for sure if everyone's in or not.)

Unofficially, it looks like the women's race ended up (only listing 5 favorites for overall championships):

DU- 80 points
Vermont- 65
Utah- 45
New Mexico- 44
Buffs- 30

It does sound like one of the men's Buffs was leading at the interim time, and another is at 5th. (As our strongest team, we need BIG points from this group to contend for a podium spot for the overall 4 day event.)

It doesn't look like our chances of repeating are looking good right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UNOFFICIALLY, looks like Buff (and Norwegian!) Rune Malo Oedergaard is the winner of the men's 10K classic. Congrats! (I believe he also got a win and 2nd place in the Championships last year?)

Freshman Mads Stroem also with a great finish, earning all-American status with his 4th place finish. The final Buff Arnaud Du Pasquier earns 19th (out of 40 racers).

Overall, the DU Pioneers with another great result and lead the team points n this event with 87, but the Buffs (79 points) gained some ground back on its other competition New Mexico (61) Utah (36) and Vermont (35).

More number crunching to follow.

Last edited:
So, after hearing the announcer give updated results, it looks like the Buffs are still in it, although DU has put themselves FIRMLY in the proverbial "drivers seat". The announcer said cumulative points for the two days completed are as follows:

DU- 299
Utah- 248
Buffs- 241
New Mexico- 231
Vermont- 186

So, I'd say all 5 teams are still in the mix to get at least 2nd, as the 2-5 teams are still pretty close. And, with the great variation that can happen in the alpine events (especially from DNF's (Did not finish)), there's still a chance, if DU has issues tomorrow, they can still be caught by all but Vermont.

And, just wanted to add that I'm watching the awards ceremony for the Men's race, and it's great to see CU being officially and well represented by the winner Mr. Oedegaard, as well as the other 1st team all-American Mr. Stroem, with the CU flag held aloft by the winner flowing majestically in the wind!

Last edited:
Didn't we catch everyone on the final day last year?

Yep, we came back in record fashion last year. This year, however, with our young women's cross country team, I'd think we'd need to be close to or ahead of DU going into the last day to have much chance since they seem pretty strong in cross country this year. (Last year, the senior laden women's XC team was the main CU point generators, while today's 30 point performance indicates the women probably can't contribute near that this year. On the plus side, the men look a little stronger this year.)

It will be interesting to see what the cubuffs.com article says happened to the women today, as their results late in the year indicated they should have done better than they did. Of course, many variables can effect performance in a single day (incorrect ski and/ or wax for the conditions, falls, illness or injury, freshman nerves, etc.).

One possible positive- although I don't know if it was an anomaly or a sign that they may be a little weaker in one part of cross country, but DU was quite a bit weaker at the RMISA Conference championships in the last day's freestyle event as opposed to the classical event (the type ran today) , scoring only 119 in freestyle vs. 159 in classical at that meet. I don't know if there are any serious cross country skiiers or experts on the board who can answer- is it common there'd be such a difference in points between the two cross country disciplines in pure athletic terms? Or, was it probably just a one time bad freestyle event for them? (looking at some other meet results, it seems most teams have relatively similar results in both races.)

Also, looks like the official total points to date have changed a (very) little from what I listed earlier- they are now showing:

(3/7 Edit- I updated point totals to what the NCAA website now lists- only small changes from what I had earlier.)

DU- 299
Utah- 248
Buffs- 240.5
New Mexico- 231
Vermont- 186.5

Last edited:
Reactions: dio
Quick update- Slalom, which was scheduled to begin at 9:00, is on a delay. (I know yesterday's CUbuffs.com article quoted CU Coach Rokos surmising they might have to delay the event to tomorrow due to weather having made the ski hill not "race ready".) The NCAA live video website currently has a 11:45 (ET, 9:45 MT) time listed for the start of the streaming, so it seems they're still hoping and planning on getting the races in today.

Per CU ski twitter, looks like slalom will now be held tomorrow.

Colorado Skiing
‏@cubuffsskiing
Slalom races have been postponed until Saturday. Freestyle races will also be contested as originally planned.
Expand

8:33 AM - 7 Mar 2014 · Details

Just caught the end of the freestyle Men's cross country race, and looks like another CU winner! Mads Stroem wins with a comfortable gap ahead of the lead pack for the win; CU's Rune Oedergaard also looked to be in that lead pack for a good place.

With a delay of the slalom races until today, now being run on the same day as the final cross country races, looks like the NCAA scoring page having problems giving up to date info on any of the race's scoring.

Colorado Skiing ‏@cubuffsskiing 2m Huge congrats to Mads Stroem, CU's 88th individual NCAA Champion in skiing. Buffs sweep men's Nordic titles. #GoBuffs

Great start to the day. Buffs have to be in 2nd place right now.

I'm not home but I tried looking for updated standings but couldn't find anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Buffs are through the 1st round (of 2) of the women's slalom. Officially haven't heard/ seen anything, but the announcers did say Buff Jessica Honkonen is unofficially in 4th after the 1st run, so good start for her. I'd guess Buff Thea Grosvold is in the middle of the pack with a solid run. Unfortunately, the 3rd Buff Brooke Wales initially missed a gate and had to hike back to get it and is far back (10 or so seconds), so she probably won't be able to earn more than a few points at best (unless there's a large number of DNF's in the second run).

Must be warm in Utah again today. I haven't seen a lot of cross country (maybe a few Olympic races), but don't think I've ever seen a racer in shorts/ spandex, as one of the women's leaders seems to be wearing.

Unofficially, looks like two Buffs ended up scoring in the women's freestyle cross country event, with Camilla Brautaset earning an 11th place finish, followed right behind in 12th by Maja Solbakken. If I'm reading the point calculation correctly, that equals at minimum 39 points, so they did improve on the 30 point they earned in the classical event. With all of this squad being freshmen, I assume this part of the Buffs team will be point monsters in future years.

Last edited:
Great start to the day. Buffs have to be in 2nd place right now.

I'm not sure I was reading the live results right, but if I DID happen to accurately catch them, it may not have been the GREAT point total in the men's cross country race we would have needed to have any chance at catching DU, or even to gain any cushion we'd need to feel comfortable about ANY podium position. I'm thinking I MAY have seen that Rune Oedegaard ended up 8th, with the 3rd Buff finishing out of the points. If that's right, that would give us around 63 points for this event, as opposed to, for example, the 79 points the men earned in the earlier cross country event.

So, it will be up to our alpine racers to come through for the Buffs to get a team podium spot. With the NCAA's score reporting on its website not working yet today for ANY of the events, and not having seen it live, I have NO idea how the men's slalom went for the Buffs in the 1st run (2nd run scheduled to start at noon). Hopefully, they all did OK so that they can contribute points and maybe get personal podium accolades and All-American status. On the women's side, the fact one of the racers had her issues in the 1st run and is far behind precludes the buffs from having a GREAT point performance in that event no matter what happens on the 2nd run.

In short, I think ANY podium finish for the Buffs will be great at this point, and may well come down to an inch or two on a slalom run where one of the Buffs or one of our main competitors' skiers either does or doesn't make a gate, or does or doesn't have some small mistake that costs them a few 10th's of a second and 5-10 spots at the finish.

The Buffs are a relatively young side this year, and I believe only have one senior competing at these championships this year. With the rest of the 12 member team this year consisting of 4 freshmen, 5 sophomores and 2 juniors, next year and beyond should be great ones for the Buffs.

Official results in for the Men's cross country now on the NCAA website. CU gets 1st and 15th place point scoring positions, which looks like 56 points. Probably for him a disappointing finish of 15th for Rune Oedergaard, since he was the winner of the classical races both this and last year, as well as a 2nd in this freestyle event last year. I think what may have happened (the announcers weren't very helpful) was that Rune and Mads Stroem both tried to break away at the beginning of the final 5K loop. While Mads was able to keep the gap over the field and get the win, it looks like Rune got caught and was probably gassed from the breakaway effort. Definitely seemed like one of those "no guts, no glory" kind of attempts that worked for one Buff but not the other.

Official cumulative points now listed that include the results from both cross country events. Points are now

DU- 380
New Mexico- 349
CU- 335.5
Utah- 330
Vermont- 294.5

So, the Buffs WERE still in OK shape for the podium. Unfortunately, while I was typing this, one of CU's slalom skiiers, who was in 11th after the 1st run, had a disastrous 2nd run and so won't be earning many/ any points.

Last edited:
Damn. No title defense this year. DU had an amazing week at the NCAAs. I thought they were 3rd or 4th best in the Rocky Mountain.

Looks like DU ended up unofficially one-two in the Men's slalom, putting them in VERY good shape to win the overall championships assuming their women have even mediocre 2nd runs in their slalom race. (If I remember correctly, they were all in good positions after the 1st run.)

Edit- The sound was terrible, but I think they may have been interviewing a Ute and saying HE was 2nd, so not sure where the 2nd Pioneer finished. I assume official results will be posted soon.

Last edited:
Wow- looks like the Vermont women just went 1-2-3 in the slalom so, assuming their men did even mediocre in their slalom event, they probably earned their way onto the podium. (Looks like that 1-2-3 finish is worth 111 points.)

Also, hearing in the background a lot of DU DU DU chants, so assume they won the overall championship. Congrats to our neighbors to the south. Assuming that did happen, it looks like, per the NCAA skiing "History" page, this will be their 5th team championship in the last decade, and 8th championship since 2000.

For the Buffs, looks like one of the Buffs (I believe Jessica Honkonen) did finish in the top 10 (and maybe top 5) of the slalom, so earns another individual All-American honor for the Buffs. Congratulations!

Just a few final notes as I watch the awards ceremony:

A) Buff Jessica Honkonen finished 4th in the slalom, thereby earning 1st team All-American status. Congrats again. (She also earned 2nd team All-American in the Giant Slalom.)

B) DU did finish 1-2 in the Men's slalom, which obviously helped insure them this year's overall team championship.

C) Most importantly, final places for the overall team championships this year announced at the awards ceremony were (excuse me in advance if I misheard the exact point totals):

1) DU (556 points)
2) Vermont (487.5 points)
3) New Mexico (458.5 points)
4) CU (402.5 points)

Not a bad season for the Buffs. It would have been nice for a repeat, but I believe they lost a few seniors so not a bad result and something to build on for next year. At least we finished ahead of the Utes.

Back