What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ski's brutal decision

Can we have some mercy for the dead horse some of you are beating?

If this was any other player on the roster, everyone would be on a witch hunt. Josh Scott included. But for some reason this guy has earned immunity. Can't have a "team" with players doing this ****, let alone seniors. God bless Tad Boyle for dealing with this madness all year, can't help but be excited for the improved team we will have next season.

If this was any other player on the roster, everyone would be on a witch hunt. Josh Scott included. But for some reason this guy has earned immunity. Can't have a "team" with players doing this ****, let alone seniors. God bless Tad Boyle for dealing with this madness all year, can't help but be excited for the improved team we will have next season.
uhh, no.

Ski has been the most criticized player I have ever seen play for the Buffaloes so I don't quite agree with you

Any senior on the team would be given the pass on the CBI. Seniors have nothing to prove. Nothing to play for. It actually helps the team in the long run for him to move on, by allowing team building with the kids who will be there next year. Gardner Webb's best player is also skipping the CBI, but not a peep about that.

If I'm a scholarship basketball player, and the coach tells me that we are going into the Boulder community to build houses for homeless hippies around Boulder, I jump up and offer to drive..... whether it's September or May. It's the idea that this is a team function, and somebody on the team is declining to take part. Team breakfasts, team practices, team building exercises all set the tone for **** like this not to happen, the player should've welcomed the chance to play with his team for one more game, and given some of you who think he's an all time great in Boulder another chance to watch him and the team play.

If I'm a scholarship basketball player, and the coach tells me that we are going into the Boulder community to build houses for homeless hippies around Boulder, I jump up and offer to drive..... whether it's September or May. It's the idea that this is a team function, and somebody on the team is declining to take part. Team breakfasts, team practices, team building exercises all set the tone for **** like this not to happen, the player should've welcomed the chance to play with his team for one more game, and given some of you who think he's an all time great in Boulder another chance to watch him and the team play.

This post in no way supports the opinion I disagreed with. Do you get high and decide to hate on ski?

That's why it's ski-like... Because there were several good reasons to opt out of the CBI and make himself look like a good guy. Tad even said he suggested this would make him look bad and Askia didn't care. Askia certainly didn't give Tad these reasons, even though Tad wanted to hear that.

And the reason I don't believe Askia is being genuine NOW is because he left the team. He didn't offer to practice, attend practice, help coach, cheer them on - nothing. He said he was done, not going to play. Acted insulted by the invite. Took his ball and went home.

Now you believe that he was doing this for the team?

Tad was pretty much over the edge on this one guys. It's been a long tenure of Ski-dership.
It's ok to say I'm right.

Any senior on the team would be given the pass on the CBI. Seniors have nothing to prove. Nothing to play for. It actually helps the team in the long run for him to move on, by allowing team building with the kids who will be there next year. Gardner Webb's best player is also skipping the CBI, but not a peep about that.

It's not the fact that he's skipping the CBI that was newsworthy, it was how he went about it... Certainly you see the difference?

Ski tried to put this team on his back with all the injuries this year. We don't fully know the extent of his injuries or if he's just mentally drained. I respect his decision, and hope that he gets healthy to pursue whatever dreams he has. I just wish he would address all of us fans (good ones or bad ones of his) on his decision, so we can have proper closure for a lack of better of words. I know I appreciated everything he accomplished during his tenure. Good luck Ski!!!

That's why it's ski-like... Because there were several good reasons to opt out of the CBI and make himself look like a good guy. Tad even said he suggested this would make him look bad and Askia didn't care. Askia certainly didn't give Tad these reasons, even though Tad wanted to hear that.

And the reason I don't believe Askia is being genuine NOW is because he left the team. He didn't offer to practice, attend practice, help coach, cheer them on - nothing. He said he was done, not going to play. Acted insulted by the invite. Took his ball and went home.

Now you believe that he was doing this for the team?

Tad was pretty much over the edge on this one guys. It's been a long tenure of Ski-dership.

True story. You can choose to disagree with holic but it says a lot of your kool-aid intake.

Had the team not totally hit the skids this year, he'd be the winningest player to ever put on a CU uniform. His teams have been to 3 NCAA tourneys in a row, with a conference tourney title. He played with a special group of people, all of which are gone now. He's also hurt, according to howell:
Booker said he is taking time to let his body heal. He played the final six weeks with hip pointers on both hips, played with pneumonia during a late-season road trip to Oregon and Oregon State and had a pulled calf muscle during last week's Pac-12 Tournament.

He earned this, and anyone who thinks he has not has a very, very short memory. This season was a disaster, but still better than most seasons before tad got here.

True story. You can choose to disagree with holic but it says a lot of your kool-aid intake.
Strange conclusion, cause it means you are calling Ski a liar.

Askia Booker wants to make one thing clear: He did not quit on his team....
Booker, the lone scholarship senior and the Buffaloes' leading scorer, has decided to skip playing in the CBI, but said it's not because he doesn't respect the third-tier postseason tournament, or because he's quit on the Buffs, as some have accused him of doing.
"Coach (Tad) Boyle had basically told me it was going to be my choice if I wanted to play or not," Booker said. "But, he also told me the reason he was going to accept playing in the CBI was because it was for the younger guys and it was a chance to go into next year with some momentum.
"So, me looking at it from my perspective was that it would be pretty much selfish for me to play. I would be out there and I would want to play 30 minutes a game and compete. If the real reason why (Boyle) is playing is to get some momentum for the younger guys, they need to know what it's like to play without me."

http://www.buffzone.com/ci_27729308/cu-mens-basketball-askia-booker-believes-him-skipping

I don't really like how this went down either, but holic is going over the edge into hyperbole here, which isn't surprising given his continued strange beliefs about ski.

I suggest you read the rest of it. If you would rather believe Holic's conjecture instead of ski's stated reasoning, that's certainly a position one can have.

It doesn't mean that at all. Has absolutely nothing to do with "kool-aid intake" (which is getting extremely overused), it has everything to do about the situation, what we know about Ski, and why we accepted the invite to teh CBI. Is it possible that Tad accepted it so Ski could get another game or two at home? I suppose, but it seems unlikely.

I'm just happy to not waste any more time moving forward on this subject, and I'm sure the head coach is also.
1cecc4c9304db66084b1db41ead63ff0.jpg

the media was looking for the angle that players were turning down the CBI. Booker was the first to give it to them.

This is total BS. Since when are players under scholarship allowed to chose when they do or don't want to play? He's quitting plain and simple, there's no way to sugar-cote or justify this. It's a free country, but if this is how he feel then perhaps he should also be paying his tuition for the remainder of the semester.

I find this strange all around. Regardless of the fact that he has an obligation, why wouldn't he want to play? Everyone is alittle banged up this time of years, there are far worse things in life then playing a *****ng game of basketball. This decision also likely does away with the already very faint chance he had of sneaking into the 2nd rd of the draft, no one wants a quitter. While Tad doesn't seem happy about this, he seems to have given Ski his blessing which I also don't understand. This has turned into one of the bigger sports stories of the day and has generated a lot of negative publicity.

The idea that this is somehow beneficial to the program is also BS. No one is happy we're in the tournament, but we should still want to win the damn thing especially since we're losing money by playing in it. Not having Ski doesn't help that cause. Plus as far as next year playing a few games (maybe just one) eight months before next season even begins hardly improves the outlook for next season as some have suggested; especially since four players (at least) who will be on next years team won't be playing.

Ski, thanks for Albuquerque, for Charleston, and for Kansas. Now good riddance. Enjoy whatever it is you're doing tomorrow night that's more important then the game and enjoy your future as a volume shooter in Bosnia. That is of course until you decide to turn your back on that team as well.

Back