What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

So I'm looking at our 2010 and 2011 schedules...

It there really a lot of money to be generated by playing at Hawaii? I guess there could be, if the Buffs scheduled another home game.

I can't see where any payout from Hawaii would remotely match the expense associated with travel.

The hawaii payout doesn't come in cash. It comes in our more and more exclusive recruiting pipeline into the islands. We can already get kids from there because of our history with them, if they get a chance to play at home once every 4 years we have an even better chance at pulling in the Maiava's of the islands.

I think the hope is that it is a Nationally televised game...so we get more money. But honestly...this specific game screams RECRUITING to me.

I was unhappy with the Independence bowl initially, but then I started thinking.....hmmmm, Kordell Stewart, Thaddeus Washington, etc., .......hmmmm, we haven't been using the LA pipeline as much lately, I wonder if there is a silver lining here?

You think that Hawk & crew will talk to this guy while they're down there?

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=3093253

He's a beast! And I mean that in the best way possible.

The hawaii payout doesn't come in cash. It comes in our more and more exclusive recruiting pipeline into the islands. We can already get kids from there because of our history with them, if they get a chance to play at home once every 4 years we have an even better chance at pulling in the Maiava's of the islands.

Do you know the Banana Boat song? Sing it with me -- Te'o, Te'o!

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=2852996

The Hawaii series is a HUGE bid of confidence in Cabral. Shaka!

It's an interesting gamble for Bohn. CU gets more access to Polynesians, and can attract mainlanders with an all expense paid trip to paradise. But to pay off, CU has to become a TV darling. This is the scheduling equivilent to going for it on forth down.
BTW - It's far enough out to accumulate a few frequent flier points, too.

i agree with others on here about the hawaii series....it is all about recruiting.

as for the killer schedules, i am starting to think that the strategy should be one creampuff, one decent mid-major, and two nationally recognized teams in bcs conferences...

How the hell do you guys who hate the tough schedule believe, in large part, Hawk is able to sell CU to the top recruits in the country? Maybe because he can promise them big time games all the time. Thats how Mac got us to the top and thats how Hawk will take us back.

i agree with others on here about the hawaii series....it is all about recruiting.

as for the killer schedules, i am starting to think that the strategy should be one creampuff, one decent mid-major, and two nationally recognized teams in bcs conferences...

That would make the best schedule, and the 2010 and 2011 schedules are only one game off from that. We have the 2 nationally recognized BCS conf teams, so the only difference is we have 2 mid-majors instead of 1 mid-major and 1 creampuff.

I hate to harp on scheduling, but why do we schedule like this? Can't we be a little smarter about this?
Sat, Sep 03-@ Hawaii
Sat, Sep 10-CALIFORNIA
Sun, Sep 18-TBA (possibly CSU)
Sat, Sep 24-@ Louisiana State

At Hawaii, Cal, and to top it off at LSU. Remember KU almost made it to the title game by playing the likes of Southeastern Louisiana and Florida International in the preconference. Has anyone informed the AD we are no longer a Top 10 program? What good is it going to do for our team to lose 2 games before the conference begins. Sure , you get a big payday at LSU, but you also leave with a loss. They are something like a 73.8% winning percentage at home since they started playing football in Tiger stadium.

At Hawaii, Cal, and to top it off at LSU. Remember KU almost made it to the title game by playing the likes of Southeastern Louisiana and Florida International in the preconference. Has anyone informed the AD we are no longer a Top 10 program? What good is it going to do for our team to lose 2 games before the conference begins. Sure , you get a big payday at LSU, but you also leave with a loss. They are something like a 73.8% winning percentage at home since they started playing football in Tiger stadium.

THAT. We don't make money playing a D-II team pre-conference. And, two losses pre-conference play, then running the table in conference would have been good enough to make the title game this year.

My thoughts exactly

THAT. We don't make money playing a D-II team pre-conference. And, two losses pre-conference play, then running the table in conference would have been good enough to make the title game this year.

I dont know, you really think we would have beat out LSU for the last spot? And I think we'd make more money if we became a regular 10 win team, a winning team attracts fans, a 2-2 team is not going to attract fans to come watch us play Baylor at home but a 4-0 team will. 1 big time team (lsu, cal, fsu, uga) is all we need + csu + cream puff (miami oh, ewu) + minor bcs team such as purdue, vandy, arizona, etc (tough game still and decent name recognization) or big name nonbcs team such as boise, tcu, marshall, etc. That is perfect.

Well, you win 'em all and you are looking at a MNC:smile:

If Kansas had won its conference games they would have been playing for a MNC.

The only reason KU was in contention to play for the mNC was due to the fact that they played an incredibly weak schedule AND every team ranks #2 lost. There are so many two loss teams that one actually made it to the mNC game. If one or two teams remained undefeated from any of the six majors KU would not have made it to the championship game. Furthermore, there cupcake schedule left them illprepared for MU.

:yeahthat:

AND recruiting....I like it to be honest with you. It is exciting stuff.

Completely agree. Playing series like these are what make college football so great. I look forward to games like these all year long.

Not wanting these games because of concern for positioning for the MNC is silly. This is the logic that generates so many loser OOC games across the nation. If more ADs would be like Bohn and sprout a pair, college football would be a much better product.

The goal every year should be to compete for the B12 championship, and these are the types of games that make a team ready for that competition. If CU would have replaced FSU and ASU with San Jose State and Western Michigan, they would have been 8-4 and maybe in the Alamo Bowl. Is that worth giving up the excitement and national exposure gained from playing national programs and having a respectable schedule? I prefer playing real games.

Last edited:

Your writing off the game three years before it's even played? :wow:

If you play a non-conf schedule like we do in '10 and '11 you can lose a game or two and still play for the MNC. There-in lies the difference. KU's **** schedule gives them one shot and one shot only. If you play a tougher schedule you get another chance, see LSU, OSU.

One more thing... if KU hadn't GUARANTEED ticket sales to the Orange Bowl they wouldn't be going to a BCS bowl at all because of that 1 loss and cupcake schedule. Lucky for them MU refused to guarantee ticket sales or it'd be Mizzou in the Orange Bowl.

'Zactly. I made this argument elsewhere on this board, and now that we know who's playing for the MNC, it bears repeating: The only reason that LSU is in the Championship game is the VT game. It's really the only thing seperating them from a team like, say, OU. In fact, OU had a more impressive game at the end of the season IMO, but everyone always goes back to the VT game for LSU as proof of their dominance. Most years you have to play a tough sched to get in.

How the hell do you guys who hate the tough schedule believe, in large part, Hawk is able to sell CU to the top recruits in the country? Maybe because he can promise them big time games all the time. Thats how Mac got us to the top and thats how Hawk will take us back.
A different conference - but Pat Hill at Fresno State plays a killer OOC schedule then gets thumped in the WAC - not clear it helps his recruiting although he makes a great salary - you have to avoid accumulating injuries in the OOC games and demoralizing the team

I say play ranked teams and win - that'l work every time

I hate to harp on scheduling, but why do we schedule like this? Can't we be a little smarter about this?

Sat, Sep 04-Colorado State
Sat, Sep 11-@ California
Sat, Sep 18-HAWAII
Sat, Oct 02-GEORGIA

Sat, Sep 03-@ Hawaii
Sat, Sep 10-CALIFORNIA
Sun, Sep 18-TBA (possibly CSU)
Sat, Sep 24-@ Louisiana State

Jesus, that 2011 schedule is brutal. At hawaii is always tough. they'll probably try to make that a 8 pm start time too. And @ LSU. JEEZ! Who knows what Cal will be like then too.

Yeesh!

Jesus, that 2011 schedule is brutal. At hawaii is always tough. they'll probably try to make that a 8 pm start time too. And @ LSU. JEEZ! Who knows what Cal will be like then too.

Yeesh!

2011 is the year that most of us feel like Hawk will have all the horses in place for a legit run at the MNC. That's the kind of schedule that would do it, too. Making the admitedly huge assumptions that A) Scott comes here and B) he stays until his senior year, that would be his senior year.

2011 is the year that most of us feel like Hawk will have all the horses in place for a legit run at the MNC. That's the kind of schedule that would do it, too. Making the admitedly huge assumptions that A) Scott comes here and B) he stays until his senior year, that would be his senior year.

I think It can happen before then.

There are others your not factoring like other players that will leave or get injured. College football is a crazy sport where anything can happen. The key issue in my mind is depth. And we will have that after this class and the next class.

The mNC requires a bit of luck (from scheduling; from players; from the coaching carousel; from weather; from brain farts) and the alignment of the stars. But luck favors the prepared and we are now about 80% there. The game now allows for a two loss team to play for the mNC so you never know anymore. Just gotta win and look good doing it. :thumbsup:

I think It can happen before then.

There are others your not factoring like other players that will leave or get injured. College football is a crazy sport where anything can happen. The key issue in my mind is depth. And we will have that after this class and the next class.

The mNC requires a bit of luck (from scheduling; from players; from the coaching carousel; from weather; from brain farts) and the alignment of the stars. But luck favors the prepared and we are now about 80% there. The game now allows for a two loss team to play for the mNC so you never know anymore. Just gotta win and look good doing it. :thumbsup:

I agree it can happen before that. But assuming Hawk has another four classes like the one he's putting together now, 2011 would be right around the time where all of the big time recruits and depth really kicks in.

not to sound like a pessimist but you're also making the assumptions that he pans out!

not to sound like a pessimist but you're also making the assumptions that he pans out!

You mean, like all the delusional NU fans that believe Bo will take them to the MNC next year LOL :lol:

I think about 80% of Huskerpedia falls into that category.

You mean, like all the delusional NU fans that believe Bo will take them to the MNC next year LOL :lol:

You can count those guys to be complete ****sticks. Besides, who takes posters at any internet BBS seriously? People like that are pathetic. :smile2:

I have not gotten onto Huskerpedia in months and I'm a NU fan! That site is good and lots of solid information and neat stuff, but seriously stay away from the message boards there. I mostly stick to HI.com and another pay site that's not mainstream at all. Of the free ones out there, I'll get on Huskerboard and BigHuskerFan.com from time to time.

But as a general rule, Husker message boards posters can be pretty hard to take sometimes. How do you think I ended up here! Bored with the same dribble being regurgitated all the time on the NU boards.

I have not gotten onto Huskerpedia in months and I'm a NU fan! That site is good and lots of solid information and neat stuff, but seriously stay away from the message boards there. I mostly stick to HI.com and another pay site that's not mainstream at all. Of the free ones out there, I'll get on Huskerboard and BigHuskerFan.com from time to time.

But as a general rule, Husker message boards posters can be pretty hard to take sometimes. How do you think I ended up here! Bored with the same dribble being regurgitated all the time on the NU boards.

I browse HP every couple weeks. I went over there today and my head hurt after reading some threads. One thread had a poster saying Chase Daniel and Big Rothleisberger are very similar in size. Another thread had a guy saying that it seems like a majority of the players in the NFL are from smaller schools, 1-AA, or JUCOs so NU shouldn't worry about the recruiting defections. You can't make this **** up sometimes.

Redout.org is a lot of fun. That site was born out of a mass defection from Huskerpedia when they went pay to post. A lot of guys at redout.org either refused to pay or were banned shortly after they did. Big Red Maxipad is an asshole.

Don't go over there unless you have some seriously thick skin. They have respect for anyone that can hang on after surviving the initial onslaught. If your a douche bag, like Digger, than your gonna get their best efforts.

Before allbuffs I spent virtually all my time at redout after retiring from Netbuffs.

Yeah, I lurk over there for recruiting info, they do a pretty good job of keeping things up to date. I also go there when I need a good laugh. :smile2:

Yeah, I lurk over there for recruiting info, they do a pretty good job of keeping things up to date. I also go there when I need a good laugh. :smile2:

I've been enjoying the full meltdown on the Fusker boards this week. The anger towards the CU coaches and their "dirty recruiting tactics" that is being spewed over there is pure entertainment!!! God forbid that opposing teams' coaches use the instability of their program right now - I'm sure none of their coaches ever used the CU "scandel" to poach some of our recruits. Karma is a b*tch! :smile2:

Back