What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Spring Game Glass Half Empty Thread

WVU - Keep in mind Noel Devine recently got arrested and as far as I know his status is still up in the air like Geer and Katoa's

FSU - Half their team is suspended for the first 3 games (their tutors were giving them test answers or something) but we are FSU's fourth game so who knows how having 10 starters or so coming back will work out in their first game

Texas - I'm sure they have talent on board but loosing your starting RB, TE, top 4! WRs, big Frank, ect... loosin 30 seniors is going to hurt a lot. Muschamp? will still have talent to work with on defense tho

Missou - They lost Temple at RB but are still dangerous. Let's hope our LBs and secondary is ready to do some running

I agree about WV and Tex. I do have to say the buffs played pretty well on the road in Athens two years ago (should have shut Georgia out let alone should have beat them in their backyard). But yes, for the most part, Hawk doesn't have a great road record.

Yeah, I actually forgot about the Georgia game. We should have won that game.:sad2:

Missou - They lost Temple at RB but are still dangerous. Let's hope our LBs and secondary is ready to do some running

Our D needs to watch the 2007 CCG over and over. OU shut down the Tigers offense by playing agressive, tight coverage on the underneith routes. Those killed us. Sure bombs to Macklin hurt, but those little dinks to Coffee just ate us up.

KU lost an all american corner and I believe a guard? I guess it all depends on how their Juco's mesh in.

KU lost an all american corner and I believe a guard? I guess it all depends on how their Juco's mesh in.

Don't know about a guard, but the did lose an OT who is expected to go high in the draft (Collins?). Also Talib, the WR Henry and I believe a pretty good DT as well. They will also miss the RB McAnderson, who I am fairly certain was a senior last year. Not that I expect them to go back to old school KU football suckage, but I'll be surprised if they are as good as last season...

Anything is certainly possible. Just see last year's OU game for that.

I see the Buffs losing to West Virginia, Florida State, Texas, Kansas and Missouri. I see the Buffs beating Colorado State and Eastern Washington. Every other game is a tossup, imo.

Glass half empty just got emptied and shattered.

I didn't read all of the posts in this thread because it blew up since this morning and I got sick after reading how negative some of you are.

Every game is a toss-up because they have not been played yet. Anyone can beat anyone, that's why you play the f*cking game.

Buffs over OU
Montana St.
Appalacian St.
Louisiana Monroe over Alabama (I think, right?)

Hell, it even happens in other sports.
Buffs over OU
George Mason
Davidson

Our D needs to watch the 2007 CCG over and over. OU shut down the Tigers offense by playing agressive, tight coverage on the underneith routes. Those killed us. Sure bombs to Macklin hurt, but those little dinks to Coffee just ate us up.

What that game showed me is that you beat the Mizzou offense by generating a solid, consistent pass rush from the front four. Yes, get up in the face of the WR's and move them off their patterns, but at the same time, keep your LB's in the "dump" zone and attack the LOS with your front four. Let Daniel sit back there with all day to pass the ball and he'll murder you. That's what happened at the CU/MU game this year. We didn't get any pressure on him at all.

What scares you heading into fall camp?

Two words: Punt Block

Three more words: Field Goal Kicking

Shotgun snaps were iffy.

heres a thought... I think we've been looking at it all wrong. We aren't that BAD at punting or kicking. We are just that AWESOME defensively on special teams. At this rate, if this pace holds up, we'll have roughly 24-30 punt blocks this season... and like 14 punt block returns for TDs! wicked sweet!

heres a thought... I think we've been looking at it all wrong. We aren't that BAD at punting or kicking. We are just that AWESOME defensively on special teams. At this rate, if this pace holds up, we'll have roughly 24-30 punt blocks this season... and like 14 punt block returns for TDs! wicked sweet!

I have a feeling we will have a few special teams touchdowns...returns, blocks. If not touchdowns we should have a few big time plays. We havent had big time returns since Bloom was here.

That's the idea, postive vibes, man, :thumbsup:

What a difference one game makes. Alabama ends up 7-6 - and the Crimson Tide have been "resurrected" by Mr. Saban. CU is 6-7 and questions still linger. It sure would have been nice to have one more win (Iowa State leaps to mind), so that Hawkins and the Buffs would not have to deal with the "back-to-back losing seasons" stigma. I'm usually a "glass half empty" sort - (cornerbacks, PK, wide receivers), but I have renewed faith in the direction of the program overall. Next season we trade Florida State for Miami (Ohio) and Eastern Washington for Wyoming. Get to eight wins this year, and we'll be on everyone's "ready to break out" list next off-season. Go Buffs!:thumbsup:

www.cuatthegame.com

What a difference one game makes. Alabama ends up 7-6 - and the Crimson Tide have been "resurrected" by Mr. Saban. CU is 6-7 and questions still linger. It sure would have been nice to have one more win (Iowa State leaps to mind), so that Hawkins and the Buffs would not have to deal with the "back-to-back losing seasons" stigma. I'm usually a "glass half empty" sort - (cornerbacks, PK, wide receivers), but I have renewed faith in the direction of the program overall. Next season we trade Florida State for Miami (Ohio) and Eastern Washington for Wyoming. Get to eight wins this year, and we'll be on everyone's "ready to break out" list next off-season. Go Buffs!:thumbsup:

www.cuatthegame.com

There's always woulda couldas, but last year was particularly bad. Probably DID beat ISU, got waaaay down to an Alabama team that we probably should've beat, and gave the KU game away.

So you're 7-6 if you beat ISU. 8-5 with a bowl win if you beat isu and beat bama. And 9-4 if you manage to pull that game out against KU. All three of those look a bit different than 6-7. Oh well.

Just leaves more room for improvement this year, I guess....

Don't know about a guard, but the did lose an OT who is expected to go high in the draft (Collins?). Also Talib, the WR Henry and I believe a pretty good DT as well. They will also miss the RB McAnderson, who I am fairly certain was a senior last year. Not that I expect them to go back to old school KU football suckage, but I'll be surprised if they are as good as last season...
Ya, see. Thanks Junc for fleshing out what I was to lazy to do: That the KU game is definitely at the least competitive. You don't lose two first round draft picks and stay at that level unless your a top flight team.

And with the talent upgrade we are seeing these buffs be more competetive with good programs. Under Barnett we got blown out by almost every good team we faced home or away. Last year save for Mizzou and KSU, we basically were competitive enough to win every other game we played.
I think this year's team will be much improved from last year, and I think Hawkins has the program headed in the right direction. Unfortunately, it probably won' be reflected in the number of wins because of a brutal schedule. Barnett's second year 2000, CU was 3 - 8. I don't say give him a contract extension, but he has a five year contract - if he doesn't start winning by year five - show him the door.

I think this year's team will be much improved from last year, and I think Hawkins has the program headed in the right direction. Unfortunately, it probably won' be reflected in the number of wins because of a brutal schedule. Barnett's second year 2000, CU was 3 - 8. I don't say give him a contract extension, but he has a five year contract - if he doesn't start winning by year five - show him the door.

I think we should definitely know by the end of year 4 if he deserves and extension. I do agree that he is doing all the right things, and that it will take time.

I think we should definitely know by the end of year 4 if he deserves and extension. I do agree that he is doing all the right things, and that it will take time.
I read somewhere that the AD is already thinking of signing Hawkins to a contract extension.

From the DP today.

"This and that.

The crowd of 17,800 set a CU spring game record. . . . While insisting it is premature to say Hawkins has agreed in principle to a contract extension, CU athletic director Mike Bohn confirmed Saturday that they have engaged in contract discussions. "I'm optimistic that we'll have something pulled together and wrapped up before the start of the fiscal year (July 1)," Bohn said. Hawkins is beginning the third year of his initial five-year contract worth about $900,000 annually, plus incentives. . . . No injuries were reported Saturday. . . . Two punts were blocked and returned for touchdowns. But special teams coach Kent Riddle was not upset. "We had the third-team punting team in there to see if we could get some blocks," he said. "
Don't get me wrong, I think Hawkins is moving in the right direction, but an extension seems premature.

I read somewhere that the AD is already thinking of signing Hawkins to a contract extension.

Me too. I have mixed feelings. Does he deserve an extension yet or does CU wait to see how he coaches the talent he is bringing in? Or does the fact that he is bringing in talent and is very good in the community and on campus warrant an extension?

Back