What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Statues at Folsom

There are like 2, maybe 3 people associated with the program that truly deserves a statue. Mac Classic (thanks, @FlaBuff for that... allsome), Salaam, and Sal. There are some other all time greats that could be argued, of course, but a statue is a ****ing statue. Reserved for the GOATs only.

I like the idea of honoring the All-American/CU HOF type guys with a separate sort of shrine in the public's view outside Folsom.

I think anyone who is either in the college football HOF or wins a major national award (Mackey, Thorpe, etc) would qualify.

@Buffalo Brad - here's the list, plus Salaam with the Heisman

Other award winners[edit]
Players[edit]
Rashaan Salaam1994
Alfred Williams1990
Matt Russell1996
Rashaan Salaam1994
Jim Hansen1992
Deon Figures1992
Chris Hudson1994
Daniel Graham2001
Mark Mariscal2002
Coach[edit]
1989 Bill McCartney
College Football Hall of Fame[edit]

I think we've got more HOF inductions since that wiki was last updated, too.

OK, no Whizzer?
Admittedly, I don't know enough about him to say yes or no, I guess. All-American, Heisman runner up, an all timer for CU. Statue-worthy? Not sure. Salaam is our only Heisman winner, Bill Mac is Bill Mac, and Sal's impact extended beyond the football field and would also be a memorial. I'm just not sure if anyone else is statue-worthy.

Admittedly, I don't know enough about him to say yes or no, I guess. All-American, Heisman runner up, an all timer for CU. Statue-worthy? Not sure. Salaam is our only Heisman winner, Bill Mac is Bill Mac, and Sal's impact extended beyond the football field and would also be a memorial. I'm just not sure if anyone else is statue-worthy.
He's arguably the most successful CU athlete of all time if you count his whole story. SCOTUS = statue

You could put a cop behind it and support the #BLM movement at the same time.
IMG_1473.jpg

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/sh...etball-Baseball-amp-Golf-statues-behind-Co-op

Omg this is a 1st...I haven't laughed that much in a while. Wow! Hahaha!

That is a great list and fun to read thru. I assumed Salaam and Mac Classic would be statues but for got about Hudson and Russell.

You think we should have 12 statues? IMO, statues are probably the highest honor a program/franchise can do for a former player/coach and are much different than the "ring of fame" name plates on the West press boxes.

If anyone deserves a statue, It's Byron White. It seems like ancient history to a lot of people, but what he did in a lifetime is astounding. Colorado football is forever in his debt.

He was-

A native Coloradan.

2nd in the Heisman Ballot, going against East Coast bias far, far worse than today (There were no broadcast games, sportswriters were voting based on his newspaper write-ups alone).

Responsible for single-handedly taking CU to their first bowl game, the 1938 Cotton Bowl

CU's first All-American, and the first CU player to go to the NFL.

A player on Colorado's first post-season basketball team, 1938 NIT.

A Rhodes Scholar (as was his brother, Sam White, which helped legitimize CU as an academic institution)

Highest paid player in NFL history at that time, and one of the highest picks out of CU (Bo Matthews was picked 2nd, Michael Westbrook was also 4th overall). He led the NFL in rushing.

Served admirably in WWII, graduated at the top of class at Yale Law, and served on the Supreme Court for 31 years. Football aside, this alone makes him one the most notable graduates of CU anyway.

Byron White, in addition to maybe having the greatest overall resume of any American in general, laid the foundation for Colorado football with what he did for the Buffaloes. That includes both his playing days as well as his efforts as a major booster while practicing law in Denver. He also helped legitimize and popularize the NFL, which had been seen as a semi-pro league far inferior to Major League Baseball (adding a scholar-athlete like White brought the pro game into the national conscience). His playing career put CU, and Rocky Mountain college football generally, on the map, and likely paved the way for CU to join the Big 7 shortly after the war.

Any lists of GOATs or potential statues without him is in error. Plus he did that really cool flying pose, which is perfect for a statue.

I think Bobby Anderson would maybe be a good choice (it diversifies the timeline, it would be weird to have a bunch of statutes from the 80's/90's only)

If anyone deserves a statue, It's Byron White. It seems like ancient history to a lot of people, but what he did in a lifetime is astounding. Colorado football is forever in his debt.

He was-

A native Coloradan.

2nd in the Heisman Ballot, going against East Coast bias far, far worse than today (There were no broadcast games, sportswriters were voting based on his newspaper write-ups alone).

Responsible for single-handedly taking CU to their first bowl game, the 1938 Cotton Bowl

A Rhodes Scholar (as was his brother, Sam White, which helped legitimize CU as an academic institution)

Highest paid player in NFL history at that time, and one of the highest picks out of CU (Bo Matthews was picked 2nd, Michael Westbrook was also 4th overall). He led the NFL in rushing.

Served admirably in WWII, graduated at the top of class at Yale Law, and served on the Supreme Court for 31 years. Football aside, this alone makes him one the most notable graduates of CU anyway.

Byron White, in addition to maybe having the greatest overall resume of any American in general, laid the foundation for Colorado football with what he did for the Buffaloes. That includes both his playing days as well as his efforts as a major booster while practicing law in Denver. He also helped legitimize and popularize the NFL, which had been seen as a semi-pro league far inferior to Major League Baseball (adding a scholar-athlete like White brought the pro game into the national conscience). His playing career put CU, and Rocky Mountain college football generally, on the map, and likely paved the way for CU to join the Big 7 shortly after the war.

Any lists of GOATs or potential statues without him is in error. Plus he did that really cool flying pose, which is perfect for a statue.

I think Bobby Anderson would maybe be a good choice (it diversifies the timeline, it would be weird to have a bunch of statutes from the 80's/90's only)

Nice summary.

He was-

A native Coloradan.

Post of the Year.

He was-

A native Coloradan.

Byron White, in addition to maybe having the greatest overall resume of any American in general.
His statue should be in front of the law school.
I'm not big on statues at the stadium and would prefer a hall of fame with photos. That said, Byron deserves a statue on campus in front of the law school.

I'm not big on statues at the stadium and would prefer a hall of fame with photos. That said, Byron deserves a statue on campus in front of the law school.
But in his football uniform, doing the jumpy/face-masky thing.

I personally think the ship has sailed, and there should have been a statue dedicated to him while he was alive on the plaza by the entrance to Balch.

His football achievements warrant a statue by the stadium. He actually played on the same field. The law school is in its fourth different building or so since Byron graduated, and he didn't go to law school at CU, he went to Yale.

An actual Supreme Court Justice, Wiley Blount Rutledge, did go to CU Law, and is scarcely commemorated. Very few law schools beyond Harvard/Yale/Stanford have produced a justice in the 20th century.

Now I'm just digressing. There should be some statues. I haven't been in the new building where the Heisman is but I'd like to see how the history is commemorated.

Go Buffs.

But in his football uniform, doing the jumpy/face-masky thing.
Is that because Manzeil's statue is already doing the "make it rain" thing we don't want to be copy cats? Cuz Whizzer doing the show me the money thing in front of the law school would be, um, money.

There are like 2, maybe 3 people associated with the program that truly deserves a statue. Mac Classic (thanks, @FlaBuff for that... allsome), Salaam, and Sal. There are some other all time greats that could be argued, of course, but a statue is a ****ing statue. Reserved for the GOATs only.

I like the idea of honoring the All-American/CU HOF type guys with a separate sort of shrine in the public's view outside Folsom.
Carruth??

Back