What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Steve Sarkisian - former UW/USC HC/ Alabama OC (does CU have the balls to make this hire?)

White_Rabbit

Club Member
Club Member
usa_today_9800125.0.jpg

As coach:
As player:
Career history
  • El Camino College (2000)
    Quarterbacks coach
  • USC (2001–2003)
    Quarterbacks coach
  • Oakland Raiders (2004)
    Quarterbacks coach
  • USC (2005–2006)
    Quarterbacks coach
  • USC (2007–2008)
    Assistant head coach & offensive coordinator & quarterbacks coach
  • Washington (2009–2013)
    Head coach
  • USC (2014–2015)
    Head Coach
  • Alabama (2016)
    Offensive analyst & offensive coordinator
  • Atlanta Falcons (2017–2018)
    Offensive coordinator
  • Alabama (2019–present)
    Offensive coordinator

Man, I could really talk myself into this one. Agree with everyone here, as long as his addiction problems are well behind him and we get some escape language in the contract if they rear up again.

Another coach who could continue what Tucker was trying to build with The Process.

Would be a desperation hire IMO.

Pass.

One would think it's safe to assume he has cleaned up the alcohol stuff as I doubt Saban and Dan Quinn would put up with anything of that sort, but that's the obvious major red flag.

I’m obviously a fan of this option, but I think it would be extremely important that CU have the appropriate support structure in place to aid him in his sobriety. It’s not enough to just protect CU from Sark falling off the wagon - we would need to do everything we can to help keep him clean.

I’m obviously a fan of this option, but I think it would be extremely important that CU have the appropriate support structure in place to aid him in his sobriety. It’s not enough to just protect CU from Sark falling off the wagon - we would need to do everything we can to help keep him clean.

RG was working for the Rangers when Josh Hamilton played there-maybe that type of setup for Sark if he's our guy?

I'll just copy/paste what I wrote about this on 247 since I'm pretty sure that I agree with myself. ;)

The only thing negative I have to say about Sark as a candidate is that he is an alcoholic. Even with that personal struggle, he'd been HC at Washington and USC by the time he turned 40. If he has that issue managed, then we're really talking about a guy who is probably top 10 in the country in terms of coaching talent. If we don't get EB, this should be one of the next calls.

I would be ok with this provided his contract is incentivized to protect CU 1) should he not actually be clean and/or relapse while he's here, and 2) should he jump ship (I.e. insist on goddamn real buyout in the contract this time, RG). Also, I wonder how hiring Sark would affect Alfano--not saying that should influence RG's decision in any way, just wondering if Alfano would be more or less likely to stay.

I would be ok with this provided his contract is incentivized to protect CU 1) should he not actually be clean and/or relapse while he's here, and 2) should he jump ship (I.e. insist on goddamn real buyout in the contract this time, RG). Also, I wonder how hiring Sark would affect Alfano--not saying that should influence RG's decision in any way, just wondering if Alfano would be more or less likely to stay.
Why would Sark have any impact on Alfano one way or the other? Also, Alfano is not likely to leave CU regardless. He is already enrolled and attending class. It'll be everything they can do to get him eligible for 2020 season, let along if he transfers again.

* Oh, and we have one more name — a proven recruiter with head coaching experience, enough motivation for two lifetimes and, we’d guess, a deep sense of loyalty.

Colorado should seriously consider Steve Sarkisian.

No, not that Steve Sarkisian; the other Steve Sarkisian …

Just kidding.

Yes, of course, that Steve Sarkisian, the one dismissed by USC in the middle of the 2015 season because his personal life was a mess.

Welp, Sarkisian has gotten himself straightened out: He’s clean, sober and so committed to the craft that he calls the plays for Nick Saban.

Sarkisian just finished the first year of his second stint as Alabama’s offensive coordinator, with two years in the NFL in between.

He’s a good coach, always has been; his tenures at Washington and USC were derailed by addiction.

He’s also a terrific recruiter with deep ties to Southern California and Seattle and connections across the South.

Sarkisian’s recruits were at the heart of Washington’s run to the playoff in 2016 under Chris Petersen.

During his two recruiting seasons at USC, the Trojans signed Adoree Jackson, JuJu Smith-Schuster and Sam Darnold.

In the 2019-20 cycle, Sarkisian was Alabama’s lead recruiter on Bryce Young, the five-star quarterback from Mater Dei who signed with the Crimson Tide.

Put Sarkisian in charge in Boulder, and the Buffaloes immediate enhance their presence in California and improve their chances to sign an elite quarterback in any given year.

And it stands to reason that Sarkisian would be highly motivated to prove himself and deeply loyal to Colorado for a second chance.

It’s a compelling narrative for the program, and we would guess, for recruits and their parents.

The risk, of course, is relapse: Sarkisian returns to the corner office and wilts under the pressure.

But there are risks with any of the hires: Chiaverini is a risk and Bieniemy is a risk and McElwain is a risk … they’re all risks.

Sarkisian’s upside is such that he’s worth a long look and multiple conversations, including conversations with Saban himself.

Maybe neither side gets to the point of full comfort:

Sarkisian doesn’t believe he’s ready for the pressure; George isn’t convinced it will work; the CU administration intervenes.

Or maybe they do reach that point of comfort and Sarkisian makes his story a story for the program:

Weakness and redemption, frailty and courage, recovery and accountability — it all become a very public part of the Buffaloes’ ethos.

It could be compelling stuff.

It would be a helluva hire.

Go ahead, CU. Make that first call. See where it leads.

Colorado’s coaching search: The ideal model, a list of names and one shot in the dark-turned-light

Why would Sark have any impact on Alfano one way or the other?
Maybe I missed something, but there was a reason he left Alabama. Speculation, IIRC, was that he felt the coaching staff wasn’t very supportive while his grandmother was ill. Said coaching staff included Steve Sarkisian.

Would be a great choice. People need to realize that alcoholics relapse at about an 85% rate(see Hetfield, James). It's not some magic AA thing where you follow the protocol and are cured. Have a support structure in place and if he relapses get him the help he needs and don't just freak out and fire him.

Maybe I missed something, but there was a reason he left Alabama. Speculation, IIRC, was that he felt the coaching staff wasn’t very supportive while his grandmother was ill. Said coaching staff included Steve Sarkisian.
I can't imagine Bama's Offensive Coordinator had any significant contact or relationship with a true freshman Defensive End.

honestly I'm struggling to see why we shouldn't hire Sark. The alcohol thing is really the only problem and I think we could protect ourselves and Sark with some proactive contracting (GuySmiley don't **** it up) and a plan for Sark. Maybe don't make him in charge of dealing with the next Avery Buffs lager :unsure:

Do we have any questions about his ability as a HC?
recruiter?
ability to put together a staff?

The MSU money thing makes me feel like we need to moneyball this thing. We can't get Sark without the alcohol problems. But damnit if Sark doesn't get on base a lot and that's what we need.

honestly I'm struggling to see why we shouldn't hire Sark. The alcohol thing is really the only problem and I think we could protect ourselves and Sark with some proactive contracting (GuySmiley don't **** it up) and a plan for Sark. Maybe don't make him in charge of dealing with the next Avery Buffs lager :unsure:

Do we have any questions about his ability as a HC?
recruiter?
ability to put together a staff?

The MSU money thing makes me feel like we need to moneyball this thing. We can't get Sark without the alcohol problems. But damnit if Sark doesn't get on base a lot and that's what we need.
Damn. You just doxxed smiley. It all makes sense now.

Try harder. I’m sure it’s sooo hard to imagine a coach on a team had contact with a player on that same team.
I think you'd be surprised how little contact or relationship assistant coaches have with players on the opposite side of the ball. I'm not trying to argue with you, I just don't believe your concern about Sark and Alfano to be warranted. Carry on.

Back