What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Support or Retort: "DJ Eliot = good hire."

Will Colorado's defense rank Top 5 in total D within the Pac-12 in 2017?

• Yes

Votes: 46 37.4%
  • No

Votes: 77 62.6%

• Total voters
Eliot's results at Kentucky raise concerns. However, he comes with a lot of positives; energy, recruiting, intelligent, team player and he wants to be here. Obviously he is not a sure thing, but I am optimistic he will be a good DC under MMac. Put me down on the good hire.

My first choice was Diaco. One other advantage Eliot has is he probably comes here for less money than it would have taken to hire Diaco. Hopefully, CU uses that savings to keep upgrading the staff. Looking forward to the db coach hire.

Everybody in the country's #1 choice was Diaco. Arky and Nebraska got into a bidding war for him and Nebraska won. CU was never even a possibility for Diaco, with the kind of money the Nubs and SEC were willing to throw at him.

One good season in the last 10 years and some fans expect elite assistant flocking to Boulder for elite money. Still lol at the whining going on in 4 different treads now.

Why do all these schools have such a huge budget and we can barely hang with the bottom of the pac? Cheap alumni?

Any word on CB & S coaches?

Everybody in the country's #1 choice was Diaco. Arky and Nebraska got into a bidding war for him and Nebraska won. CU was never even a possibility for Diaco, with the kind of money the Nubs and SEC were willing to throw at him.

One good season in the last 10 years and some fans expect elite assistant flocking to Boulder for elite money. Still lol at the whining going on in 4 different treads now.

So as a buff fan, I should expect cu to continue to be a steppng stone for coaches and to expect to never be in on hires like diaco because we have kid table money?

So as a buff fan, I should expect cu to continue to be a steppng stone for coaches and to expect to never be in on hires like diaco because we have kid table money?
Until proven otherwise... yeah. Or you could just call it being realistic with the current landscape?

Edit: In terms of stepping stone, every school is a stepping stsone for assistant coaches

Now TSHECK, its all up to you damn it!
Anyway, I know what your saying, just hoping for better days ahead in these types of situations
I just feel like the complaining about not getting a guy like Diaco or another elite assistant, is like complaining about CU not being able to sign Najee Harris.

Why do all these schools have such a huge budget and we can barely hang with the bottom of the pac? Cheap alumni?

Any word on CB & S coaches?

Part of it is that the SEC and B1G are rolling in dough from their media deals.

Part of it is that the SEC and B1G are rolling in dough from their media deals.
So we hit our ceiling this year, minus the terrible results in the last two games? And we will always struggle to hold on to coaches contracts and monetarily wise, struggle to keep up on the arms race. Tier B or C program unless we get a T. Boone or a Knight.

What is holding us back from being Washington?

So we hit our ceiling this year, minus the terrible results in the last two games? And we will always struggle to hold on to coaches contracts and monetarily wise, struggle to keep up on the arms race. Tier B or C program unless we get a T. Boone or a Knight.

We still play in one of the smaller stadiums which has sold out once in 7 seasons? Our donor base is still tiny as well. I continue to be shocked by the ADs Buff Club numbers and overall priority totals.

We'll find out.
Maybe some of us should step up and donate more if we aren't satisfied with CUs financials.

Last edited:

We need to maximize revenues at Folsom at Coors while building a donor culture if we want to be Washington on salaries. That's been what RG is focusing on. From a business management standpoint, the CU athletic department has never been well run before RG arrived.

You pointing out whining in every other post is starting to get real whiny.

Question for those who have read up on this guy - why do people seem to have concluded he is a good recruiter? Maybe he is, but that's based on what?

You pointing out whining in every other post is starting to get real whiny.

Question for those who have read up on this guy - why do people seem to have concluded he is a good recruiter? Maybe he is, but that's based on what?
So I guess we both are whiny. Must suck not being able to look at this program in a positive light. At least that's how you come off in every single post.

So I guess we both are whiny. Must suck not being able to look at this program in a positive light. At least that's how you come off in every single post.
I've posted plenty of positives, but if that's how you choose to view my posts, that's your issue, not mine. I'm just saying, not agreeing with your view of every aspect of this program doesn't make people whiners. You're venturing into Tini territory recently.

I've posted plenty of positives, but if that's how you choose to view my posts, that's your issue, not mine. I'm just saying, not agreeing with your view of every aspect of this program doesn't make people whiners. You're venturing into Tini territory recently.
I've been very clear that I am withholding judgement on the DC hire until we see what he can do.

Pointing out that some fan expectations for this program are far removed from reality, is a far cry from Tini-level sunshine pumping.

I've been very clear that I am withholding judgement on the DC hire until we see what he can do.

Pointing out that some fan expectations for this program are far removed from reality, is a far cry from Tini-level sunshine pumping.
You're right, Tini would never call fans whiners or tell them what their expectations should be, my bad.

This is silly. Maybe instead, help me understand why we think he's a good recruiter? Hard to tell his impact while at Kentucky - I seem to have seen mixed reports and that Kentucky fan who ventured over here last week wasn't very complimentary if his recruiting chops. I hope he is a great recruiter, but where is that impression coming from?

You're right, Tini would never call fans whiners or tell them what their expectations should be, my bad.

This is silly. Maybe instead, help me understand why we think he's a good recruiter? Hard to tell his impact while at Kentucky - I seem to have seen mixed reports and that Kentucky fan who ventured over here last week wasn't very complimentary if his recruiting chops. I hope he is a great recruiter, but where is that impression coming from?
From everything I've seen and heard, he was an integral part in recruiting some elite talent to FSU. It also seems debatable, depending on who you talk to and what their agenda is, that he actually did a fairly good job at U.K. With some decent recruits there. Adams Q&A with the UK writer also dispelled some early rumors about his playcalling that were having you and everyone else around here in a total meltdown.

From everything I've seen and heard, he was an integral part in recruiting some elite talent to FSU. It also seems debatable, depending on who you talk to and what their agenda is, that he actually did a fairly good job at U.K. With some decent recruits there. Adams Q&A with the UK writer also dispelled some early rumors about his playcalling that were having you and everyone else around here in a total meltdown.
I think "meltdown" is a little dramatic. On the surface I do think it looks like a pretty weak hire - he's a DC working for a defensive minded head coach on a bottom-tier P5 program with pretty mediocre defenses his entire tenure and apparently lost play calling duties early this season. I've heard some anecdotal claims that he may or may not have been a good recruiter at FSU. From what I understand his biggest recruiting "get" was a blue chip DE whose father had played at FSU. His recruiting success at Kentucky seems to be a mystery. So to me this looks like a hire that:

1) Could have been made much sooner, and
2) Is hard to separate from dozens of other P5 coaches who have similar resumes.

So show me what I'm missing. Why is this a good hire? I'd love to see what gets others excited about this hire. You're withholding judgement which is fine, but don't want others to hold a negative opinion based on what little info we do know, so help me - give me reasons to be excited about this.

Don't just tell me to feel differently, give me reasons why I should.

Last edited:
I think "meltdown" is a little dramatic. On the surface I do think it looks like a pretty weak hire - he's a DC working for a defensive minded head coach on a bottom-tier P5 program with pretty mediocre defenses his entire tenure and apparently lost play calling duties early this season. I've heard some anecdotal claims that he may or may not have been a good recruiter at FSU. From what I understand his biggest recruiting "get" was a blue chip DE whose father had played at FSU. His recruiting success at Kentucky seems to be a mystery. So to me this looks like a hire that:

2) Is hard to separate from dozens of other P5 coaches who have similar resumes.

So show me what I'm missing. Why is this a good hire? I'd love to see what gets others excited about this hire. You're withholding judgement which is fine, but don't want others to hold a negative opinion based on what little info we do know, so help me - give me reasons to be excited about this.
Let's get a few things straight... you came at me because of my expectations comment in this thread, in terms of Diaco being everyone's #1 choice. That, in no way, means I am excited about this hire or think Eliot is great. Was just pointing out how CU fan expectations are a little beyond reality at this point, not trying to sell anyone on Eliot. I do however believe that we have 3 men in charge of of the program that know what they are doing, and have earned my trust with their vision for this hire. If you think that POV is "Tini-esque" then I don't know what to tell you.

Don't just tell me to feel differently, give me reasons why I should.

One thing I would say is that all the points you made "on the surface" are valid and they would explain why he wouldn't have been hired right away. He would have to get through a thorough vetting process before HCMM would want to hire him and RG would sign off on it. So I think that the one explains the other. This wasn't a situation of "What? Venables wants the job and he'll take a pay cut to get it? Send him the damn contract before he changes his mind."

I also think we disparage Kentucky's program too much. Yes, it's traditionally lower tier in the SEC and while we can look back over the past 25 years and see a lot of bowl seasons, we don't really see anything beyond what looks like a ceiling of 6-8 wins. With that, I think there's some credit Eliot has earned by coming into a UK program that was in an especially bad place (2-win season the year before they arrived which was repeated his 1st year). Taking it from that to 5 wins, 5 wins and then 7 wins with a 4-4 conference record points to a good coaching job happening in Lexington.

Beyond that, I don't think I can sell you other than to say we've got to give him a chance. I'm not totally sold on this hire. I understand it and can get behind it, but the only thing that will sell me or turn me against Eliot is results. I think the vast majority of us are reasonable and very few of us are silly enough to think we *know* whether this will end up being a good hire or not. So I'd say that the difference of opinion is on the degree of skepticism & trust each of us has as we root for the best and wait to see how it goes. As I see it, there's nothing that anyone has a reason to get too passionate about at this point - one way or the other.

Last edited:
Let's get a few things straight... you came at me because of my expectations comment in this thread, in terms of Diaco being everyone's #1 choice. That, in no way, means I am excited about this hire or think Eliot is great. Was just pointing out how CU fan expectations are a little beyond reality at this point, not trying to sell anyone on Eliot. I do however believe that we have 3 men in charge of of the program that know what they are doing, and have earned my trust with their vision for this hire. If you think that POV is "Tini-esque" then I don't know what to tell you.
The Diaco post was someone else, I never mentioned him. I came after you for calling people who questioned this hire whiners which is weak. I've laid out my concerns pretty clearly and from what I gather, your only real response to those with concerns is "trust Mac". That seems like a pretty weak argument to me, but you're entitled to it.

Just keep in mind this thread specifically asks for people's opinion on this hire, so don't be surprised when they give it.

Last edited:
One thing I would say is that all the points you made "on the surface" are valid and they would explain why he wouldn't have been hired right away. He would have to get through a thorough vetting process before HCMM would want to hire him and RG would sign off on it. So I think that the one explains the other. This wasn't a situation of "What? Venables wants the job and he'll take a pay cut to get it? Send him the damn contract before he changes his mind."

I also think we disparage Kentucky's program too much. Yes, it's traditionally lower tier in the SEC and while we can look back over the past 25 years and see a lot of bowl seasons, we don't really see anything beyond what looks like a ceiling of 6-8 wins. With that, I think there's some credit Eliot has earned by coming into a UK program that was in an especially bad place (2-win season the year before they arrived which was repeated his 1st year). Taking it from that to 5 wins, 5 wins and then 7 wins with a 4-4 conference record points to a good coaching job happening in Lexington.

Beyond that, I don't think I can sell you other than to say we've got to give him a chance. I'm not totally sold on this hire. I understand it and can get behind it, but the only thing that will sell me or turn me against Eliot is results. I think the vast majority of us are reasonable and very few of us are silly enough to think we *know* whether this will end up being a good hire or not. So I'd say that the difference of opinion is on the degree of skepticism & trust each of us has as we root for the best and wait to see how how it goes. As I see it, there's nothing that anyone has a reason to get too passionate about at this point - one way or the other.
Seems about right. The proof will be in the pudding and I hope he's incredibly successful here.

I know you were being hyperbolic with the Venables reference, but there were some solid names being thrown around here early that seemed to be of the more realistic variety. Diaco's contract of $1.7M over 2 years is in the zone of what we were allegedly offering Leavitt. We have Eliot on a 3 year deal so we've likely got more committed money in him than Nebraska does with Diaco. DeRuyter is still available. I'm sure there are plenty of reasons we ended up with Eliot over other choices - maybe as a defensive guy, Mac doesn't see the value in a high-priced DC, who knows.

Hoping for the best.

Sink I think you are doing a great job of moving this site closer to the old buff scoop site, constantly harping on the few positive people and their support of the current coaches. Tinni is gone/banned Ts will give it up too-- then you will have succeeded.

Back