What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tad Boyle is the Greatest Coach in CU Men’s Basketball History

I will agree that no one on the current roster is any good at boxing out - half of them don't even seem to realize it's a thing to do.
Technical Skill improvement is so questionable for Tad and the staff
Boxing Out
Touch around the rim, including use of the boards, up and under, pump fakes, shooting in contact
Use of the Eurostep
There were more skills shown by the UCLA kids who have not been coached for 4 years

Reactions: GRM
Jeriah Horne, Carlon Brown, Jvonne Hadley, were all solid.

Lampkin, Gatling, Wright were OK.

Do you know who Derrick White is?

The sample is fairly small, but Tad has been, like in all things, good but not great at getting performers to transfer in.
First, Derrick White did turn out to be his best transfer, but when he signed, he had zero profile or pedigree and NOBODY projected he’d make the impact he did here or in the NBA. Diamond in the rough if there ever was one. He was right in Tad’s backyard but he overlooked him for 3 years. Frankly, Tad got lucky. (Just like he did with Kin, if you recall … if Miller didn’t take the Indiana job, Kin would have never happened. Think about this program over the last 10 years if that little twist of fate never happened.)

I’m talking about getting proven transfers from power conference programs … the way Oregon, WA and the AZ schools do every single year.

Brown, Wright and Lampkin are the only transfers he’s gotten from power conference programs that I recall in what, 14 years? That just ain’t gonna get it done.

Last edited:
First, Derrick White did turn out to be his best transfer, but when he signed, he had zero profile or pedigree and NOBODY projected he’d make the impact he did here or in the NBA. Diamond in the rough if there ever was one. He was right in Tad’s backyard but he overlooked him for 3 years. Frankly, Tad got lucky. (Just like he did with Kin, if you recall … if Miller didn’t take the Indiana job, Kin would have never happened. Think about this program over the last 10 years if that little twist of fate never happened.)

I’m talking about getting proven transfers from power conference programs … the way Oregon, WA and the AZ schools do every single year.

Brown, Wright and Lampkin are the only transfers he’s gotten from power conference programs that I recall in what, 14 years? That just ain’t gonna get it done.

Half the board was oogling at Derrick White. Young prodigy down the road.

Colorado basketball has zero NIL to hand out. If Rick George was serious about basketball, we'd have Dalton Knecht and Graham Ike on the floor right now.

Ah yes, back to the every Tad success is luck and every Tad failure is idiocy narrative.

We could have possibly had Kim English and crew but Providence beat us to it. Prior to this season there was no reason to look for a new coach, not with Tad’s signing of Cody and the expectations for this team. Hopefully he’ll turn it around and we’ll go on a tear and win the PAC-12 tourney (it could happen!). But if it doesn’t, is there that much passion left for Tad? Yeah, he’s got tenure and good memories. We’re all indebted. But it just might be time, especially with the move to a new conference. But we’ll also need Rick George to give the basketball program a bit of the infusion he gave signing Prime. Maybe if the women’s team makes a big run in the NCAA tourney that’ll help.

love the energy he brings but Lampkin as a starter has made this team worse than if Lovering was still starting at 5. it’s not a coincidence that we are giving up more layups this year

Tad’s coaching style is like Tad ball. he keeps it close every year and hasn’t had many bad teams but he also doesn’t put down dominant performances (and it makes positive outcomes somehow less enjoyable haha). it’s time to move on and start a new era

it’s wild how Rick George’s religious beliefs and business connections helping him land Prime has totally rewritten how the uneducated view his stint as AD

Last edited:
Ah yes, back to the every Tad success is luck and every Tad failure is idiocy narrative.
Never said “every” Tad success is luck. I pointed out two lucky gets. He’s had plenty of good recruits.

But overall, Tad recruits and coaches to an NIT level (with an NCAA bid every 3-5 years).

D White is a self made man. His hard work and passion to improve himself has made him what he is. He was a great get, but his improvements are 100% his effort. Need a lot more D Whites. He was even robbed of his Junior year by the NCAA that would never happen today.

Tad is having more misses these days and Eddie is a nice backup, but we never can land a dynamic big

D White is a self made man. His hard work and passion to improve himself has made him what he is. He was a great get, but his improvements are 100% his effort. Need a lot more D Whites. He was even robbed of his Junior year by the NCAA that would never happen today.

Tad is having more misses these days and Eddie is a nice backup, but we never can land a dynamic big
I think it's less about the positions we recruit and more about the make up of the players we recruit. Tad's a nice guy. Tad recruits nice guys. Yes, he'll occasionally pick up a grittier player (KJ, Kin, Brown, Ski...), but the trend is definitely softer style players. It's a lengthy list, but would even include White, TDS, Walker, Scott, and every single one of this year's signees. It's been blatantly apparent when we play tougher, stronger, grittier opponents who take us completely out of our game. We can be bullied, the last 5 games are perfect examples of this - teams get physical and we fall apart. We might be 0-5 in that stretch if ASU wasn't such hot garbage.
FSU was another good example of this, hell Utah Valley last year was as well.

Tad will need to retire for us to make a change, there is no chance we can afford a contract buyout. I think he may retire, and it looks to me like he’s lost some of his hunger and passion as a coach. I’m more optimistic than others on our potential post Tad prospects, even with the acknowledgment that our AD is not going to prioritize basketball. Any moving on from Tad is based on him retiring. It would not be crazy to think NIL, transfer portal stuff and moving to a new league might push him to develop a stronger relationship with his golf game.

Colorado basketball has zero NIL to hand out. If Rick George was serious about basketball, we'd have Dalton Knecht and Graham Ike on the floor right now.
this is completely false. CU Men's basketball had nearly $1,000,000 in NIL funds for the 2023-2024 season.

this is completely false. CU Men's basketball had nearly $1,000,000 in NIL funds for the 2023-2024 season.
Also, if this was true, we had more than enough for both the guys I mentioned, so tell me...why wouldn't they have been offered?

Looking ain't getting no big bag, so where'd the money go?

If this is the case (I'm doubtful) then we definitely need a change at the top.
To be fair, as I understand it, a good portion of the NIL $ were used to retain current players. But Tad is bigtime on the train for raising NIL funds now.

I think it's less about the positions we recruit and more about the make up of the players we recruit. Tad's a nice guy. Tad recruits nice guys. Yes, he'll occasionally pick up a grittier player (KJ, Kin, Brown, Ski...), but the trend is definitely softer style players. It's a lengthy list, but would even include White, TDS, Walker, Scott, and every single one of this year's signees. It's been blatantly apparent when we play tougher, stronger, grittier opponents who take us completely out of our game. We can be bullied, the last 5 games are perfect examples of this - teams get physical and we fall apart. We might be 0-5 in that stretch if ASU wasn't such hot garbage.
FSU was another good example of this, hell Utah Valley last year was as well.

you did not just call Jelly Scott soft

False again. My understanding is that Cody Williams got no NIL$, and thought I heard Boyle say the same thing on KOA.
So we spent almost $1m on this roster outside of Cody? That simply can't be right. We're basically 7 deep. 6 without Cody. Say $900k divided by 6 = an average of $150k per player. There's no one on this roster worth $150k and please don't tell me Hammond, LOB, Ruffin are even getting paid.

• Haha
Saturday night I was shocked that Cody returned to the game after tweaking his ankle. I figured that was the last we would see of him until the conference tournament. During the second half I saw him calling for a sub many times and Tad made him keep playing. I loved it. I am quick to rip on Tad for his mentally and physically weak teams but I think that was an insight into what has been happening behind closed doors with players sitting out. He is doing Cody a service by teaching him toughness. Other spectators had the exact opposite reaction and I just couldn't believe how soft they are.

If Tad can get this team to continue this run we will be solidly in the tournament. Unfortunately, the best seed we are likely to get is an 8 if all things go right.

I guess this is to say that Tad has his flaws but I'm not jumping on the fire Tad bandwagon until our bubble is popped. I think a first round win in the tournament should be the minimum expectation for this team based on talent and experience. I expected sweet 16 before the season began so I would still be disappointed if we only won one game.

Back