What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tad Boyle is the Greatest Coach in CU Men’s Basketball History

If you actually read my initial posts in this thread I am far more measured than you’re making me out to be. I’ve never said they need to fire Tad. I have said multiple times that Tad is an above average HC that made CU a respectable program when everything throughout history suggests CU is anything but that. The job he’s done is commendable, but maybe it’s just run its course and it’s time to move on, assuming the goal is to get the program to the next level, which I don’t believe requires a massive amount of institutional investment.

It’d be like saying it requires Alabama type investment to get CU football to win 8 games consistently. It doesn’t, but it does require finding a coach who can do it.
You want to fire Tad because it has "run its course." CU is doing the equivalent of winning 8 games consistently. Why do you think Tad's tenure has run its course? If he has the fire to compete and doesn't want to quit, he gets to keep coaching here unless the bottom drops out. Which it may very well do next year.

You want to fire Tad because it has "run its course." CU is doing the equivalent of winning 8 games consistently. Why do you think Tad's tenure has run its course? If he has the fire to compete and doesn't want to quit, he gets to keep coaching here unless the bottom drops out. Which it may very well do next year.
I think making the tournament is about the equivalent of winning 8 games. Maybe 9 I guess.

What Tad has been doing is the equivalent of winning 6-7 games every year and going to the Las Vegas Bowl against a MWC program, which we would be thrilled with as football fans right now, but after 4-5 seasons in a row of it would (rightfully) want more.

I think making the tournament is about the equivalent of winning 8 games. Maybe 9 I guess.

What Tad has been doing is the equivalent of winning 6-7 games every year and going to the Las Vegas Bowl against a MWC program, which we would be thrilled with as football fans right now, but after 4-5 seasons in a row of it would (rightfully) want more.

There's a disconnect here. Where is the entitlement inherent in your posts coming from? Why would CU football fans have a right to want more wins if they treated the CU football program like CU basketball fans treat the program? Prime got a bigger cheer in the Keg than Tad ever has. Tad noticed it too. And that was before Prime went out and won 4 games - worse than any season Tad has had.

Equating CU football with CU basketball is ignorant.

Reactions: GRM
So RG is to blame because he hasn’t bought enough pizza, given out enough free t-shirts or doesn’t fly a few hundred students to the conference tournament? Got it.
As a long-time season ticket holder, my problem with Rick George is that the season tickets were sold out and the game atmosphere was great around when we had Dinwiddie. Then he doubled the price of season tix which ended the sell out. He got rid of the ushers, the halftime performances, the emcee and all the stuff that added to the game day atmosphere. He seemed to have cut back on parking officers because the parking became a PITA. He also got rid of the student trip to the tournament which dinged the student section since students were going to every game because attendance was counted to qualifying for the trip. He got rid of the Chips Club giveaways to kids who attended a lot of games...and of course the tuba cheer.

There's a disconnect here. Where is the entitlement inherent in your posts coming from? Why would CU football fans have a right to want more wins if they treated the CU football program like CU basketball fans treat the program? Prime got a bigger cheer in the Keg than Tad ever has. Tad noticed it too.
I don't understand what you're asking. Fans want to see their program succeed and success is relative to where the team has been. At this point, CU MBB has been far more successful than CU football the past decade. Do CU MBB fans want to see a more consistent brand of winning or should they just accept that 3/5 years they will watch an NIT level program and they should be happy about it? If Prime gets CU winning 6 games a year for five straight years, I'll be questioning whether he should be let go to find someone who can do better.

I don't understand what you're asking. Fans want to see their program succeed and success is relative to where the team has been. At this point, CU MBB has been far more successful than CU football the past decade. Do CU MBB fans want to see a more consistent brand of winning or should they just accept that 3/5 years they will watch an NIT level program and they should be happy about it? If Prime gets CU winning 6 games a year for five straight years, I'll be questioning whether he should be let go to find someone who can do better.
You seem to think that "want" = "deserve"

As a long-time season ticket holder, my problem with Rick George is that the season tickets were sold out and the game atmosphere was great around when we had Dinwiddie. Then he doubled the price of season tix which ended the sell out. He got rid of the ushers, the halftime performances, the emcee and all the stuff that added to the game day atmosphere. He seemed to have cut back on parking officers because the parking became a PITA. He also got rid of the student trip to the tournament which dinged the student section since students were going to every game because attendance was counted to qualifying for the trip. He got rid of the Chips Club giveaways to kids who attended a lot of games...and of course the tuba cheer.
Its worth pointing out that RG got rid of the tournament trips even though donors were paying the full cost of that and were willing to keep doing so.

Last edited:
Mike Bohn got to fire and hire two different coaches and had zero success prior to his hiring of Tad. Is bringing students to the conference tournament really the benchmark here? What resources did Bohn put into MBB that RG hasn’t? Did the AD spend more on MBB pre 2013 than post 2013?
Mike Bohn hired one coach before Tad, Jeff Bzdelik, who turned over the worst roster in the big 12 and drastically improved recruiting, which is why Tad had success early in his tenure.

There are 3 dozen attainable coaches out there right now that have this team at 19-5 or better right now. One of them is 40 miles up the road. Looking back, last year was an abject failure and this year is looking like it could come unraveled.
Late to this thread, but I just came across this.

Woof. Aged really poorly.

For what it’s worth, Bohn was the AD responsible for the practice facility being built and the student engagement being stronger than ever before (or since). Rick George is a football guy, basketball is not his priority. Doesn’t mean he ignores it, but that’s not where resources are being prioritized for. This is not unique to CU, clearly football drives college sports.

As for Tad, there’s a zero percent chance we fire him. No money is the obvious reason, we can only speculate on the “desire” aspect or how Rick George evaluates MBB. Obviously people feel passionately one way or the other. While being disappointed so far in the season we are having, you don’t fire someone after a year like this unless you are delusional about what you can do with the next hire.

For me, I’m thankful for the Tad era and he will always be held in high esteem. But I’m also not willing to accept that we can’t strive to be more regular NCAA tournament participants with an occasional run past the first weekend. Or that we can’t watch a team and be impressed with the in-game coaching and game planning. Maybe I’m naive, but the “historically we haven’t ever done it as well as Tad” line seems defeatist and outdated.

So when Tad retires, I do think, if done well we can take the foundation Tad built and elevate from there. Or we can go back to being awful and wish Tad would come out of retirement. I look forward to that future chat 😂

The numbers I pulled were from last years AD P&L statements found on both AD websites which breaks down recruiting, travel, etc expenses.
Ok- well, it looks like P&L statements are down off the CU athletics site right now, but assuming it's roughly $300K less than Kansas you're looking at ~$190K for CU's recruiting spend based upon KU's P&L. Again, it sounds like a minor difference but you're talking about KU spending more than 2X as much.

Looking at those 2019 numbers, assuming that they haven't changed at all, $190K would be higher than 4 P12 schools. Better, I guess, but I assume those schools have increased their budget too.

Wow! This thread is motivating me to hit myself in the head with a sledge hammer. To even suggest that we should consider “moving on from” (Fire) Tad is the most nutty (trying to be nice) things I’ve heard/read in a long time.

I dunno, sounds like Lampkin and Hadley will be back. If KJ comes back, could be at least a .500 team, even in a tougher conference.

I dunno, sounds like Lampkin and Hadley will be back. If KJ comes back, could be at least a .500 team, even in a tougher conference.
KJ is only going to play college basketball for a blue blood next year. He's gonna get paid.

Ok- well, it looks like P&L statements are down off the CU athletics site right now, but assuming it's roughly $300K less than Kansas you're looking at ~$190K for CU's recruiting spend based upon KU's P&L. Again, it sounds like a minor difference but you're talking about KU spending more than 2X as much.

Looking at those 2019 numbers, assuming that they haven't changed at all, $190K would be higher than 4 P12 schools. Better, I guess, but I assume those schools have increased their budget too.
And now we are heading feet first into Kansas’s conference and bringing the fighting Tommy Lloyds with us. The Big 12 will knock us down further and we likely could start with our youngest and least experienced team ever

KJ will get drafted in the second round of the NBA draft or will play as mentioned for a blue blood, but will not play for Colorado for free. No way

Reactions: GRM
While I appreciate your attempted translation, let's just stick to what I actually said.

(rightfully) want are your words. Why are they (rightful) to want more?

Back