What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tad Boyle to Memphis? (Edit - No)

Can't tell you how hard I LOL'd at the guy complaining about giving up one double digit losing coach for another. One of the worst posts I've ever read on a message board.

Personally consider KSU and TAMU as bigger.

P5 Conference Money
P5 Exposure

KState isn't. I promise you that. As someone who has to deal with that BS constantly, KState is one of the worst jobs in P5.

I didn't think aTm actually offered him. I could be wrong on that. But I'm still not sure I'd put them above Memphis.

I would be funny to start rumors for whatever fan bases that their coach is leaving for another job, then watch them all get spun up.

I would be funny to start rumors for whatever fan bases that their coach is leaving for another job, then watch them all get spun up.

Except when those fans respond, LOL, ok, you're drunk go home.

SMU! I knew I forgot someone.

I still think Memphis is a better job than all of them though.
Hmmmmm....Memphis: swamp, insects, high humidity, always in Top 10 of worst city economies, high crime rates, no notable cultural icons, versus......... Boulder.and Denver metroplex, with mountains...........................what to do, what to do?????

You have to separate Memphis the city from Memphis the school and hoops program. Memphis the city is a dump. Graceland and Beale St really don't make up for the suckiness of that town.
Memphis State does have a pretty solid hoops history. I would imagine that anybody coaching there would make enough money to live pretty far outside of town.

First off, do I think this rumor is true? - no. Do I think that for the right job that paid more would he leave? - yes. Everybody here is entirely overrating the CU job, underrating the Memphis job and undervaluing MONEY.

1) CU job - go to Barzil and read that thread....I get his statements that this is his dream job stuff, but Tad went to KU......

2) Memphis - Memphis isn't a bad hoops program and a much better HC job than CU. it's really that simple

3) $$$ - When Tad was offered the A&M job he was making $750K, Turgeon was making $1.7M at A&M when he left to go to Maryland. Figuring Tad got offered in that ball park, well Tad's salary was nearly doubled a year later to $1.5M. Pastor was making $2.65M at Memphis. At $2.65M that would be the 2nd highest salary in the P12 behind Miller. CU isn't going to pay that kind of money to a hoops coach, it's just not going to happen. Alford, Krystkowiak and Altman all are in the 2-2.5M range.

So for an additional $1M dollars a year for the right job do I think Tad would leave. yes, yes I do.

First off, do I think this rumor is true? - no. Do I think that for the right job that paid more would he leave? - yes. Everybody here is entirely overrating the CU job, underrating the Memphis job and undervaluing MONEY.

1) CU job - go to Barzil and read that thread....I get his statements that this is his dream job stuff, but Tad went to KU......

2) Memphis - Memphis isn't a bad hoops program and a much better HC job than CU. it's really that simple

3) $$$ - When Tad was offered the A&M job he was making $750K, Turgeon was making $1.7M at A&M when he left to go to Maryland. Figuring Tad got offered in that ball park, well Tad's salary was nearly doubled a year later to $1.5M. Pastor was making $2.65M at Memphis. At $2.65M that would be the 2nd highest salary in the P12 behind Miller. CU isn't going to pay that kind of money to a hoops coach, it's just not going to happen. Alford, Krystkowiak and Altman all are in the 2-2.5M range.

So for an additional $1M dollars a year for the right job do I think Tad would leave. yes, yes I do.
But, but, but ... Boulder! That extra $1M would go a lot further in Memphis too.

CU would pay whatever it took to keep Boyle, IMO. If that means $2MM, then that's what it takes. They know what it's like to have a s.hitty hoops team and they don't want that to happen again.

You have to separate Memphis the city from Memphis the school and hoops program. Memphis the city is a dump. Graceland and Beale St really don't make up for the suckiness of that town.
Memphis State does have a pretty solid hoops history. I would imagine that anybody coaching there would make enough money to live pretty far outside of town.

I am currently living in Memphis. It's ok, no Colorado by any means. Colorado is paradise vs west Tenneessee. There are some very nice houses and areas around town, but you will be adjacent to some rough neighborhoods. I have felt unsafe at times when I got onto streets I did not know. But, overall the folks are good people and they know how to cook.

The BB program is a top squad and fill the FedEx Forum. The past few seasons Pasner lost a ton of fans, never really heard much positive about him really. Shocked he was hired away. This AD is looking to play in the big leagues. The Novell and ASI staff hire for FB I think was great for both UoM and CU. I think there will be a name coach hired but just knowing Tad I don't think it's a good fit.

CU would pay whatever it took to keep Boyle, IMO. If that means $2MM, then that's what it takes. They know what it's like to have a s.hitty hoops team and they don't want that to happen again.

MB's opinion of the hoops program ≠ RG's opinion of the hoops program. Does RG support it sure, but he also understands that fixing fball is the priority and the money and resources payoff a lot more in fball than hoops ever will.

MB's opinion of the hoops program ≠ RG's opinion of the hoops program. Does RG support it sure, but he also understands that fixing fball is the priority and the money and resources payoff a lot more in fball than hoops ever will.
I think that makes a lot of sense when looking for a head coach, but when you already have a successful one it would seem like RG would want to keep him. Obviously so wouldn't go out and hire a huge name at a large salary, but if someone has been successful and proved themselves at Colorado there is no reason to think he wouldn't dish out money for that.

I agree. But that also means he doesn't want to have to deal with hiring another basketball coach when he can throw more money at the coach he has who is giving him the results he needs.

I think that makes a lot of sense when looking for a head coach, but when you already have a successful one it would seem like RG would want to keep him. Obviously so wouldn't go out and hire a huge name at a large salary, but if someone has been successful and proved themselves at Colorado there is no reason to think he wouldn't dish out money for that.

I would think so too, but some of the small stuff that didn't cost a ton of $$ that MB did, RG quit. The Vegas trip being 1 big thing and little things like pizza at games for the student section. It's affected student attendance, we can argue that the students shouldn't need to be bribed to go to hoops games....but it worked.

@jgisland - the thing with Boyle is that I don't believe he is all that motivated by money. He wouldn't have left his career to go into coaching if it was about money. He talks a lot about how smart guys like Mark Few are to stay where they are happy. And I do believe he wants to be the Colorado basketball coach, being where all the important relationships in his personal and family life are. As long as CU doesn't make it so that he doesn't feel like he has a chance to win here, I believe he will stay.

@jgisland - the thing with Boyle is that I don't believe he is all that motivated by money. He wouldn't have left his career to go into coaching if it was about money. He talks a lot about how smart guys like Mark Few are to stay where they are happy. And I do believe he wants to be the Colorado basketball coach, being where all the important relationships in his personal and family life are. As long as CU doesn't make it so that he doesn't feel like he has a chance to win here, I believe he will stay.

would Tad leave for an equal job for more money? I don't think so. would he leave for a better job for more money? that's a different story IMO.

Back