What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tad in 2015-16 -- get back to basics or major changes?

What should be Tad's focus for next year?

• Get back to basics - defense & rebounding

Votes: 36 76.6%
  • It's broke, so fix it with new concepts & emphasis

Votes: 11 23.4%

• Total voters
One thing I've always pondered during Boyle's time, is why they haven't pressed more.
I think the halfcourt offense has always struggled at times in his tenure. Why not try and dictate pace more, especially when you have a team like this year that can go 8-9 deep?

I agree with you completely on the face of this. I think your point is well taken. There's one angle of this though that I struggle with: Using the above numbers, it means our record for being able to achieve the 40%/out-rebound goal is just 49-118. That's a pretty low percentage of the time we hit the goal. And that factors in the glory years.

When viewed that way, it's little bit like me saying that all I need to do to drop 20 pounds is stop drinking and eat better. Trouble is I have a long track record that suggests this is not likely to happen.

Hopefully someone that understands statistical analysis will point out the fallacy of my argument so I can get that stupid notion out of my head.

Delving deeper into that, let's say that the program hits its numbers 1/3 of the time and doesn't hit them 2/3 of the time over a 30 game season as a reasonable target. It's a recipe for winning 19 or 20 games a season and being somewhere on the bubble.

Where I'd place emphasis beyond that is on ball security. If the Buffs limit turnovers so they're not giving away possessions while playing great defense and winning the glass, that's about impossible to beat if they're hitting close to their mark on all 3 factors. So that's my tweak beyond the defense & rebounding core principals of Tadball. Frankly, I'm surprised that hasn't been emphasized more. It was a key to success. Nate and then Spencer did not turn the ball over much at all. That was key. The offense didn't necessarily shoot well or look great, but it got a shot up (or multiple shots thru offensive rebounds) while the defense held teams to a low percentage without fouling and didn't give 2nd chance opportunities. When CU plays like that, CU wins.

What about a different direction next year. We make Scott the focus of the offense and get him 15 to 20 shots per game. Pick and rolls, pick's on his man coming from Wes and XJ and always have an outlet against the double team.

This is obviously risky, not only due to injuries, but we suck at a disciplined offense, but it would be nice to get Scott in the nba to show we can put guards and bigs in the league.

Just a different thought.

Both - Back to basics on defense, and fix that anemic offense, something I've wanted to happen, but have at least tolerated due to the winning.

It is a lot easier to have an elite defense when you have 1-2 elite defenders like Spencer and Andre were. Colorado doesn't really have anyone that is committed to defense on the roster with their ability. Wes is the closest thing to one, but the drive to bring it every night may not be there for him.

I don't think it is some formula that Tad designed. I think most teams have success when they hold opposition to under 40% from the floor and they out rebound them. With that said, you would like to be a versatile team that can beat opponents in more than one way. You'd like to be able to win a shootout if it comes to that... or at least have a chance of doing so.

Delving deeper into that, let's say that the program hits its numbers 1/3 of the time and doesn't hit them 2/3 of the time over a 30 game season as a reasonable target. It's a recipe for winning 19 or 20 games a season and being somewhere on the bubble. \

Which I find to be the biggest problem with this plan. You are never really going to progress as a program, if 19-20 wins and being on the bubble is a realistic target every year.

Agree with what has already been said. Defense, rebounding, and limit turnovers.

Until we do more than just rely on players to create their own shot off the dribble, which is essentially all the offense does, then Tad Ball has a ceiling that will keep getting lower.

Get back to defense and rebounding the ball. I'm hoping dom & josh fortune will be able to work together as well as spencer and ski did. Dom has shown flashes of being able to collapse a zone and create.

Are we really trying to convince ourselves we don't need to revamp the offense? Even if that leads to more regular season wins it likely leads to a one and done NCAAT ceiling

Are we really trying to convince ourselves we don't need to revamp the offense? Even if that leads to more regular season wins it likely leads to a one and done NCAAT ceiling

The offense was revamped before this season. What we're saying is that they shouldn't go through that process again. Emphasis has to be on getting back to fundamentals for next year.

People generally have much higher tolerance for good offense and bad defense than the other way around, but we've seen what wins here.

The offense was revamped before this season. What we're saying is that they shouldn't go through that process again. Emphasis has to be on getting back to fundamentals for next year.

People generally have much higher tolerance for good offense and bad defense than the other way around, but we've seen what wins here.

I mostly agree Nik, but, the offense didn't have to be revamped, and other than Scott handling the ball too much on the perimeter(which is on purpose apparently), its not much different than last year's motion. Add some back cuts, pick n roll, help Scott out on the double team in the post other than a guard with his hands up on the perimeter(kind of unbelievable this wasn't addressed in the off season). Seems like all the complaints we had last year are still valid this year.

I mostly agree Nik, but, the offense didn't have to be revamped, and other than Scott handling the ball too much on the perimeter(which is on purpose apparently), its not much different than last year's motion. Add some back cuts, pick n roll, help Scott out on the double team in the post other than a guard with his hands up on the perimeter(kind of unbelievable this wasn't addressed in the off season). Seems like all the complaints we had last year are still valid this year.

I've been trying to picture this year's offense with Nate or Spencer directing it. I think it would be much different with that. We haven't had PG play this year and our primary ball handler is Ski (a ball stopper rather than a motion & catch/shoot guy).

I think the worst thing going on, though, is that we don't have guys who can beat someone off the dribble and will finish at the rim through contact. Seen a bit of that from Dustin and J-Hop, but that's about it and even those 2 seem to be looking for a foul call & avoiding a block instead of focusing on finishing the play with a made basket. Conceptually, making the other team's rim protectors move away from the basket with bigs who can knock down 15-20 foot shots is a good idea... if your bigs can knock down those shots and you have 1s thru 3s who can take advantage of this by getting to the rim. The spacing also requires consistent shooters from the 1s thru 3s so that the defense can't simply pack things in. Tad seems to have adjusted recruiting to put more emphasis on the shooting this system requires.

Also, I wonder how much of the new offense is about attracting bigs who have NBA aspirations. NBA isn't an elbow & block game for the 4s and 5s any more. They've got to be able to handle a bit and stretch a defense.

I've been trying to picture this year's offense with Nate or Spencer directing it. I think it would be much different with that. We haven't had PG play this year and our primary ball handler is Ski (a ball stopper rather than a motion & catch/shoot guy).

I think the worst thing going on, though, is that we don't have guys who can beat someone off the dribble and will finish at the rim through contact. Seen a bit of that from Dustin and J-Hop, but that's about it and even those 2 seem to be looking for a foul call & avoiding a block instead of focusing on finishing the play with a made basket. Conceptually, making the other team's rim protectors move away from the basket with bigs who can knock down 15-20 foot shots is a good idea... if your bigs can knock down those shots and you have 1s thru 3s who can take advantage of this by getting to the rim. The spacing also requires consistent shooters from the 1s thru 3s so that the defense can't simply pack things in. Tad seems to have adjusted recruiting to put more emphasis on the shooting this system requires.

Also, I wonder how much of the new offense is about attracting bigs who have NBA aspirations. NBA isn't an elbow & block game for the 4s and 5s any more. They've got to be able to handle a bit and stretch a defense.

This team with a Spencer or Nate or Carlon or Cory would be drastically different, because those guys were leaders. They kept everyone focused and held them all accountable. That is the biggest hole this year.

Something I've been curious about. I don't claim basketball expertise, I like to watch games and see the Buffs outscore opponents. And I played a bit in high school. Why is it frequently stated or implied that Tad Boyle is clueless on offensive schemes, inbound plays, etc? He starred in HS, had 4 years of significant contribution at Kansas, has assisted or coached at 6 different college teams. Surely he's seen plenty of offensive schemes that work or don't, inbound plays that work or don't, etc? I fully understand the frustration and the appearance of perhaps coaching failures, and also that many on this forum have expertise in basketball, but it makes sense to me that the problem is not Tad scratching his head without a clue, but perhaps something in the match of players to roles, and probably players that Tad thought could fill roles that haven't proven out.

Something I've been curious about. I don't claim basketball expertise, I like to watch games and see the Buffs outscore opponents. And I played a bit in high school. Why is it frequently stated or implied that Tad Boyle is clueless on offensive schemes, inbound plays, etc? He starred in HS, had 4 years of significant contribution at Kansas, has assisted or coached at 6 different college teams. Surely he's seen plenty of offensive schemes that work or don't, inbound plays that work or don't, etc? I fully understand the frustration and the appearance of perhaps coaching failures, and also that many on this forum have expertise in basketball, but it makes sense to me that the problem is not Tad scratching his head without a clue, but perhaps something in the match of players to roles, and probably players that Tad thought could fill roles that haven't proven out.

The rarity of CU scoring off an inbounds or set play, even after a timeout. The fact that inbounds plays go beyond not being a way to attack, they usually look like a major struggle whenever the defense decides to challenge.

The option I'd vote for is staff changes. Something is not right. Something is wrong with chemistry, locker room etc with the roster as well, but the staff often enables that.
The fact that it persists and that we don't play hard or team-oriented is a red flag to me.

I'd be happy if 1 or more guys leave early AND Tad makes at least one major staff change.

Using KenPom, CU is ranked pretty well in defense & rebounding. They're not elite but well above average. Meanwhile, the offensive ratings have never been worse.

Players beat scheme every time. When you have elite defenders or elite offensive players then no one is talking about schematics. Fact is we've been insanely lucky to have multiple out-of-left-field NBA prospects on every Tad Boyle team until this year. Rival that with the cognitive dissonance of having our highest rated group of players ever & none of them screaming NBA Draft by their Sophomore year. The hot air is inevitable.

Either some of these players grow into their potential before their college career is over or they don't but, it's going to have nothing to do with how much Tad preaches defense/rebounding which I can assure you he always has and always will do to a maximum.

Back