What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2020 COVID Coaching Carousel

The playoff has been a decisive factor in the death of college football. It’s all about a handful of schools now (Alabama, Georgia, LSU, OU, Clemson, Ohio State, Notre Dame). They offer the most exposure and clearest path to the playoff and therefore keep landing the top recruits, keep winning the most games, keep making the playoffs, keep making the most money which they spend on hiring and keeping the top coaches and building the best facilities to keep landing the top recruits.

I don’t think there is a solution to this. I’ve scaled back my expectations for CU considerably as a result. What once was a ceiling of 12 wins and an occasional trip to the CFP has now gone to a ceiling of 10 wins and maybe a trip to the Rose Bowl at some point in my lifetime if I’m lucky.

The big college teams are going to end up with a role that is essentially a GM to manage the roster (probably a recruiting coordinator on steroids). Think about Saban's workload. Every year he has to manage recruiting an inbound freshman class, watch almost every key player he has leave for the NFL, recruit backups into staying in the program and not transferring, manage huge staff turnover every year and somehow keep the same culture, manage the transfer portal, play the booster game, and oh by the way coach a football team.

Obviously he is paid very well for it and I'm not feeling sorry for him but it's not hard to see wanting to go coach in the NFL or frankly be Brent Venables and just be a great coordinator.

The big college teams are going to end up with a role that is essentially a GM to manage the roster (probably a recruiting coordinator on steroids). Think about Saban's workload. Every year he has to manage recruiting an inbound freshman class, watch almost every key player he has leave for the NFL, recruit backups into staying in the program and not transferring, manage huge staff turnover every year and somehow keep the same culture, manage the transfer portal, play the booster game, and oh by the way coach a football team.

Obviously he is paid very well for it and I'm not feeling sorry for him but it's not hard to see wanting to go coach in the NFL or frankly be Brent Venables and just be a great coordinator.
End of the day, most coaches just want to coach and they get to do that in the NFL. They have to do and be so much more in college and this makes it increasingly harder, especially for the non blue bloods.

I don’t think the power structure is so fixed that Alabama and Clemson will always be so dominant, but I think it will be tough to see the national championship trophy moving out of the south very often.

Northeast has largely exited the sport. West is on the way.

I don’t think the power structure is so fixed that Alabama and Clemson will always be so dominant, but I think it will be tough to see the national championship trophy moving out of the south very often.

Northeast has largely exited the sport. West is on the way.
Yeah you are basically reliant on two programs to be able to win, Ohio state and USC (unless you aren’t counting Texas and Oklahoma in the south). The odds aren’t great.

Yeah you are basically reliant on two programs to be able to win, Ohio state and USC (unless you aren’t counting Texas and Oklahoma in the south). The odds aren’t great.
Oregon should be able to compete as well. The only thing they lack, which isn't a small thing, is the built in recruiting area. They can recruit nationally at a top 10 level, though, and they have all the monies needed.

Don't count out Father Knight's boys in Eugene. Less likely I know, but I don't see that money going anywhere else anytime soon.
Edit: oops, didn't see Tschek's ^^^

That’s the only way you get into coaching Valhalla.
mad max this movie has ruined me for life GIF

I'm thinking Texas boosters told Sark they were all in and to name his price for whatever assistants and resources he wants
Yeah maybe. That’s crazy - I am not a big booster, but I think I’m realizing I just don’t want to win as bad as those Texas boosters do I guess.

Everyone on Allbuffs needs to pool together for the Powerball and Mega Millions jackpots with a full commitment to the program!!!
And we probably still wouldn't have the kind of funds those Texas boosters are willing and able to put together to buy themselves a winner.

Back