What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The all in one "Lets talk Nebraska thread"

Re: Peterson to Nebraska??

Since we are close enough not to warrant arguement on most of these, I'll only discuss 8, they are both beatable but from a longterm stand point they are much stronger programs now than they were a few years ago, combined that with the limitations on schollies, its a tougher road to hoe now than it once was.

So what should NU, CU, and the like do? Tip our caps and take our beatings? Or try everything to elevate our programs to that level? I know which one Im in favor of.

I dont disagree on that point, you had asked me why I thought NU was a mess, I explained why, much of it is resolvable, much like it was at CU. But you need the right hires and the right people in there, DH and his crazy Zen insanity fits in boulder. You need to find that guy for NU and it will be tough especially as I dont think you fan base is connected well with how potential hires view the school.

So they maybe disappointed with their "get"

It's one of the names being thrown around by Husker fans. Could you imagine both CU and NU running the Boise State sytem? Those would be some fun games to watch. I hope the don't hire him, I don't want to have to contend with that.
OK OK I think the rumor started on this board = we can take credit for this one

No damn it we are starting the Harbaugh rumor.

I see it as the current problems being addressed.

Im curious what factors make it "a mess" in his (or anyones) eyes.

Lets see, you have a lame duck head coach and staff that now wonders not if but when he/they will be fired. Fortunately for him (unfortunately for you) he just got a big extension that has a multi million dollar buyout. The team is currently very distracted. And their Blackshirts just got taken away from them.

Recruiting is in jepordy because now the kids they have been after are unsure about if the coach that recruited them is still going to be there at the end of the year. Wether Cally survives or not is up for debate. Cosgrove is probably a goner and his recruits know that. Either way, every school thats in the hunt for one of your verbals got a call today from some other school to plant the seeds of doubt.

So, Tom Osborne has a big dilema; give Cally a vote of confidence or fire him now and let him finish the season.

Then there is the big stadium expansion that remains unpaid for.

And the fact that some of the best staffers in the Athletic Department have resigned or already left.

Then there is this lovely pictures that sums up the state of NU football

1580815913_794b56100f.jpg

What did I leave out?

Lets see, you have a lame duck head coach and staff that now wonders not if but when he will be fired. Fortunately for him (unfortunately for you) he just got a big extension that has a multi million dollar buyout. The team is currently very distracted. And their Blackshirts just got taken away from them.

Recruiting is in jepordy because now the kids they have been after are unsure about if the coach that recruited them is still going to be there at the end of the year. Wether Cally survives or not is up for debate. Cosgrove is probably a goner and his recruits know that. Either way, every school thats in the hunt for one of your verbals got a call today from some other school to plant the seeds of doubt.

So, Tom Osborne has a big dilema; give Cally a vote of confidence or fire him now and let him finish the season.

Then there is the big stadium expansion that remains unpaid for.

And the fact that some of the best staffers in the Athletic Department have resigned or already left.

What did I leave out?

First of all, Cally is gone, you can count on that. No way they fire SP and put Tom in charge without canning him and his staff.

Why would a potential new HC hire give a **** about Cally?

they have to play the Buffs in Boulder this year

Which is ironic becuase we came into the year and i thought it was unfortunate we got them at home this year becuase we wouldnt be ready to take the fight to them until next year, and then we'd be on the road in a hostile environment.

In light of the past 3 weeks we are ready, young, but ready.

I dont disagree on that point, you had asked me why I thought NU was a mess, I explained why, much of it is resolvable, much like it was at CU. But you need the right hires and the right people in there, DH and his crazy Zen insanity fits in boulder. You need to find that guy for NU and it will be tough especially as I dont think you fan base is connected well with how potential hires view the school.

So they maybe disappointed with their "get"

therein lies a real problem.

First of all, Cally is gone, you can count on that. No way they fire SP and put Tom in charge without canning him and his staff.

i'm sure they have no interest whatsoever in him as a person. why did you think they would?

Thats probably true. NU had to come up with $2.2mm to buy out Pederson. Buying out Cally at $1.75mm over five years will not be cheap. And that doesnt include the staff (NU is still paying Pellini, btw). Can NU afford it? I don't think they can since the general fund is still paying for the stadium improvements that Pederson did.

Now you have to come with the money for a new staff on top of that. Any way you cut it Dr. Tom is probably going to spend most of his time balancing budgets and begging bosters to make any of the above happen.

Then you fire Cally. Now you have to find a HC to replace him. All those recruits know Cally is gone and they will get eatin alive by the competetion. You can't bring anyone in until the season ends because you have to have permission to talk to someone elses coach. So yeah, you get the new coach, but you lost a recruiting class. I think LOI day should be moved from Feb to April or May for this reason.

There are serious challenges there.

I see Dr. Tom firing him more than likely but the prudent thing to do is keep him for one more year with the stipulation that Cosgrove and Co are to be replaced at seasons end.

the bsu guy ain't going to fuskerville.

he'll have multiple offers when the time is right and he will pick somewhere they will pay him top dollar AND with a better chance to win now AND without all the bull**** in stinkoln.

they aren't going to get a hot coach. they are going to get:

1. a retread with baggage, or
2. an assistant from a major program or lower division hc, or
3. some fusker from glory days long gone.

that's it. end of story. bank it.

Re: The New AD at NU is _______

Osbourne can do no wrong in the state of NE.

I bet he could fire Cally and hire the coach from Chadron State and he'll be heralded as a hero. The admins made a great PR choice with this one.

I'll concede the point that he'll do a better job at managing the day-to-day operations than Pedy.

Just because he led the 'skers to back to back nat'l championships doesn't mean he can do no wrong.

It's a great hire for them other than his age which is really the only negative I can see. He's the most famous and most popular person in the state. He understands NU football down to his bones. He has strong charecter in most peoples minds eye. He stands for everything that was great about NU football. Right about now, the University and their Athletic Department neeeded him. It's a great shot in the arm for them.

The question is how much will he change? How quickly will he move? How soon before the Ath Dept starts to move forward again?

Thats probably true. NU had to come up with $2.2mm to buy out Pederson. Buying out Cally at $1.75mm over five years will not be cheap. And that doesnt include the staff (NU is still paying Pellini, btw). Can NU afford it? I don't think they can since the general fund is still paying for the stadium improvements that Pederson did.

Now you have to come with the money for a new staff on top of that. Any way you cut it Dr. Tom is probably going to spend most of his time balancing budgets and begging bosters to make any of the above happen.

Then you fire Cally. Now you have to find a HC to replace him. All those recruits know Cally is gone and they will get eatin alive by the competetion. You can't bring anyone in until the season ends because you have to have permission to talk to someone elses coach. So yeah, you get the new coach, but you lost a recruiting class. I think LOI day should be moved from Feb to April or May for this reason.

There are serious challenges there.

I see Dr. Tom firing him more than likely but the prudent thing to do is keep him for one more year with the stipulation that Cosgrove and Co are to be replaced at seasons end.

Actually there is a buy out clause for Callahan where the school would have to pay out around 3 mill. According to Pearlman the money was there to fire Pud. I have heard some rumors that Buffett paid off the stadium improvements to soften the blow. Don't know if that is true or not but who know's. Well as far as recruits go....We have been getting some great one's so far and look how Callahan has developed them? In other words he hasn't! So I would gladly take a hit on recruiting for a year or two (we got a lot of good young kids) if that would mean getting a coach who understood college football and coaching KIDS and not running the team like an NFL franchise. Hiring coaches in college are a crap shoot and ole Pud rung up Snake Eyes!

Last edited by a moderator:

I see it as the current problems being addressed.

Im curious what factors make it "a mess" in his (or anyones) eyes.

Last coach ****canned after a 10-3 season. Current coach about to be canned less than a year after being given an extension.

Yeah, I'd call that a mess.

Last coach ****canned after a 10-3 season. Current coach about to be canned less than a year after being given an extension.

Yeah, I'd call that a mess.

Umm, his team gave up 40+ in 4 games. He deserves to be fired and everyone knows it.

Umm, his team gave up 40+ in 4 games. He deserves to be fired and everyone knows it.

Yeah, but who's gonna want that ****ing job now? Solich didn't deserve to be fired and they will can Clownahan shortly after extending his contract. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole if I'm a hot coach right now.

Yeah, but who's gonna want that ****ing job now? Solich didn't deserve to be fired and they will can Clownahan shortly after extending his contract. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole if I'm a hot coach right now.

Well, if they dont totally suck ass they would have nothing to worry about.

point being, fusker, and it truly does not matter if YOU personally can see it or not (or if your rosy sunglass crew can or not) this is how the rest of the country views it, including your prospective coaches.

all they see is mess, and a lot of it. while you may have had a good reason to do what you did, and while it may make sense in fuskerville, it does not make much sense anywhere else.

you say that any coach has nothing to worry about so long as he has his **** in order. fact is, everybody out there knows that the big red hoarde is fickle. you are impatient. you extend contracts with a mancrush, and look at buyouts before the ink is dry. that is unstable. instability does not attract people, no matter how you try to justify it.

either you get this, or you won't. if you don't, no worries. we can be here to say "i told you so" yet again.

Re: The New AD at NU is _______

It's a great hire for them other than his age which is really the only negative I can see. He's the most famous and most popular person in the state. He understands NU football down to his bones. He has strong charecter in most peoples minds eye. He stands for everything that was great about NU football. Right about now, the University and their Athletic Department neeeded him. It's a great shot in the arm for them.

The question is how much will he change? How quickly will he move? How soon before the Ath Dept starts to move forward again?

they can LIKE him. liking him will by itself not right the ship. he needs to get key personnel in there. his perception of key personnel in the past has proved amusing from an allbuffs standpoint.

point being, fusker, and it truly does not matter if YOU personally can see it or not (or if your rosy sunglass crew can or not) this is how the rest of the country views it, including your prospective coaches.

all they see is mess, and a lot of it. while you may have had a good reason to do what you did, and while it may make sense in fuskerville, it does not make much sense anywhere else.

you say that any coach has nothing to worry about so long as he has his **** in order. fact is, everybody out there knows that the big red hoarde is fickle. you are impatient. you extend contracts with a mancrush, and look at buyouts before the ink is dry. that is unstable. instability does not attract people, no matter how you try to justify it.

either you get this, or you won't. if you don't, no worries. we can be here to say "i told you so" yet again.

Thats how CU fans view it. They see it much worse than it really is and NU fans see things better than it really is. Go figure.

Peterson would be my top candidate because I just am not willing to think that Turner Gill is the answer to our problems. Peterson's offense would be a blast to see. :thumbsup:

Thats how CU fans view it. They see it much worse than it really is and NU fans see things better than it really is. Go figure.

i am fairly certain that the accurate viewing of your situation is not restricted to cu fans, as evidenced by comments throughout cfb about "what is happening to lincoln" whenever nu is brought up by the talking heads covering unrelated teams on tv. the sheer volume of space that the mess your program has descended to on numerous sportsboards should give ya a clue. its not just allbuffs or colorado related venues. be sure not to make the mistake thinking it is just cu fans.

your feet are strapped to the trainwreck anticipating the crash. i do not blame you for wanting to "talk up" the outcome. but the fact is, even jesus christ come back from the dead could not please the husker nation.

please remember eight weeks ago, you were telling me that you felt that cally needed a full chance to get HIS kids in to the system. also that he really had only two years of recruiting, as he had a month and a half that first year, owing to the fact that was when he stepped in.

so is two years giving his system a chance? do you think any prospect in america could be assured that you are willing to give his system a chance? you talk about the "right" guy, but the right guy might not even exist.

nebraska got flat out refused last go round because you messed things up. this is what one calls "compounding the problem". :thumbsup: everyone knows it. :nod: you just have to embrace that fact. :smile2:

Back