What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'The Athletic' missing the mark on CU football?

buffalo1

Club Member
Club Member
I was considering a subscription to The Athletic. But first I did a search to see how intentional they were on covering CU in their Denver region offering.
Oops. A bit, but not much, especially given that we are one day prior to the team's first game and also against an instate competitor.
I don't need another feed of Broncos information, plenty of that around.
Has anyone been a regular reader of The Athletic? Thoughts?
Here is a listing of articles from search I did covering CU:
Aug 22
Aug 10
Aug 8
Aug 7

1567101039601.png

It’s great. National football journalists are top shelf. Many good regional CFB people as well. Far and away the best content out there. No ads. No crap popping up. Clean app. Making big push to pods this year.

I wish they covered the Buffs.

The Athletic coverage is in general great. I agree that it would be nice if they had consistent CU coverage, maybe that will happen some day. I hear you about the Broncos coverage, but the Athletic's is better than anyone else. It is nice to have coverage that isn't click bait.

CU isn't covered by The Athletic like it is by Buffzone. It's more like a feature article about weekly. We'll have to see how that goes during the season. I really like the quality of the writing and the research they put into their columns. I didn't really need more daily quantity, so I'm good with it.

The Athletic is ok. I subscribed a couple months ago and it's just basically a bunch of writers that were fired from SI.com, ESPN, and other national websites. Good writers but new content is not put up at a fast pace.

If you want just CU content then 247 is a better way to go. If you want lots of different content from local and national writers, then the little bit I've read of the athletic is very good.

Nicki & Nick are brilliant writers, and every article they write is significantly better and more detailed than any other coverage.

Nicki & Nick are brilliant writers, and every article they write is significantly better and more detailed than any other coverage.
There is a lot of Nick's over there covering Denver sports. Groke, Kosmider, and Jhabvala. I really don't like the Rockies or baseball, but I still read some of the stuff on the Athletic because it is better than reading second rate coverage on something I care about.

They have a CSU article up today. Can't imagine there will be too many of those this season.

Ryan Clark gives the best Avs coverage you can find, if that interests you.

Yes, it is thin on CU coverage, but that is because CU doesn't do enough to garner attention. It is still worth it? Hell yeah. If you like pro-sports at all, then it is worth it.

Ryan Clark gives the best Avs coverage you can find, if that interests you.

Yes, it is thin on CU coverage, but that is because CU doesn't do enough to garner attention. It is still worth it? Hell yeah. If you like pro-sports at all, then it is worth it.
I think this and other posts get to the heart of it.

If you're near total focus in on CU sports, you'd be better served getting a 247 sub or adding a Rivals sub to your 247 or adding a BSN sub to the mix.

If you're looking for premium content for sports in general with some columns that are on point for the teams you care about, I'd say that the competitor is ESPN+. ESPN+ is going to run you about $50 a year while The Athletic is about twice that (assuming no discounts). I think it's well worth the price versus ESPN+, but I wouldn't make it my only premium Buffs sub.

Hopefully that's helpful to people who are trying to decide.

Back