What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The cost to buyout Dan Hawkins...in today's BDC

How pissed will Bzz be about this if we dont get the practice facility built?

I'd rather have the practice facility built because that will take care of CU's basketball programs for many years. Let's not take money away from that just to fire Coach Talkins.

I think shaking up the assistants is priority #1.

Collins and Bandison should be fired. Starting to think about Brown as well.

Here's a thought - we have roughly 22,000 season ticket holders, right? Maybe going forward we should add a $50 per season surcharge for a "buyout reserve".

That's over $3 million after 3 seasons. I figure any coach is going to get at least 3 years and by the 4th we should have enough in reserve in case the AD pulls the trigger.

Sure it might be hard to convince season ticket holders to go for it, but the AD could sell the idea that we'll never be forced to keep a coach because of his buyout #.

Probably not realistic, but I'm tired of the "we don't have the money to be good" excuse.

What pisses me off about this is that if we can easily raise 3 million dollars I'd much rather that go to improving our facilities than to pay off a crappy coach

I agree. Paying $3M for DH on top of the $3M paid out GB in 2006 is a lot of money over a 45 month period.

That buy-out money would go a long way towards a Dal Ward renovation and/or assistant coach salaries.

To put $3M in perspective, that's basically equal to CU's box office take for the upcoming Wyoming game. To build a war chest, Bohn would have had to set aside $158K per home game since the Montana State matchup in 2006. That's like setting aside 5% of home game revenue to cover the possiblility of an underperforming coach.

The reality is setting in. Basically Hawk and the fan base are going to have to learn to live together in a strained marriage, for the sake of the kids.

The knot could be untied if 1) CU's boosters collect the proceeds for a divorce. 2) Both parties ride out the term of the contact, or 3) Hawkins does something stupid off the field that expedites his departure. 4) The last and best option involves the football program winning games again.

Hawkins is losing fans because of a spiraling trend of poor on the field performance in combination with a communication style that is aloof and cryptic at best, or contemptuous and misleading at worst.

CU fans don't have top 25 credibility in the football world. The fickle Colorado fans demand Champaign on a beer budget. If CU wants to run with the big dogs, the fans gotta sell out the stadium, shell out the proceeds to build best in conference facilities, and give coaches competitive compensation.

What a mess.

I agree. Paying $3M for DH on top of the $3M paid out GB in 2006 is a lot of money over a 45 month period.

That buy-out money would go a long way towards a Dal Ward renovation and/or assistant coach salaries.

To put $3M in perspective, that's basically equal to CU's box office take for the upcoming Wyoming game. To build a war chest, Bohn would have had to set aside $158K per home game since the Montana State matchup in 2006. That's like setting aside 5% of home game revenue to cover the possiblility of an underperforming coach.

The reality is setting in. Basically Hawk and the fan base are going to have to learn to live together in a strained marriage, for the sake of the kids.

The knot could be untied if 1) CU's boosters collect the proceeds for a divorce. 2) Both parties ride out the term of the contact, or 3) Hawkins does something stupid off the field that expedites his departure. 4) The last and best option involves the football program winning games again.

Hawkins is losing fans because of a spiraling trend of poor on the field performance in combination with a communication style that is aloof and cryptic at best, or contemptuous and misleading at worst.

CU fans don't have top 25 credibility in the football world. The fickle Colorado fans demand Champaign on a beer budget. If CU wants to run with the big dogs, the fans gotta sell out the stadium, shell out the proceeds to build best in conference facilities, and give coaches competitive compensation.

What a mess.

so we should buy lottery tickets when Powerball or Mega Millions is over 200 million?

so we should buy lottery tickets when Powerball or Mega Millions is over 200 million?

Hell yeah! That kind of money could be used to buy out the contracts for the next 66 coaches and sh!t.

We will have to support the football team and (ugh!) Coach Talkins through this season and perhaps next season because I don't believe we will have the $$$ to buyout Talkins.

At least I can say that we CU fans are showing Coach Talkins that this ain't intramurals brotha!

We will have to support the football team and (ugh!) Coach Talkins through this season and perhaps next season because I don't believe we will have the $$$ to buyout Talkins.

No way Hawkins is here next season if this continues.

You are wrong. Linked is a copy of the Hawkins' original employment agreement. Read section 12 on page 13.

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/graphics/coaches_contracts/pdfs/colorado_fb.pdf

No, I'm not. By extending the contract, Bohn increased the buyout. The buyout is equal to the remaining term left on the contract times $850k per year. By extending the contract (and thereby increasing the term), the buyout changed. Otherwise we could be rid of him for $850k at the end of the season.

He should have re-done the buyout language when he extended the contract. It sounds like he did not.

But you know that already and are just looking to pick a fight for some reason.

No, I'm not. By extending the contract, Bohn increased the buyout. The buyout is equal to the remaining term left on the contract times $850k per year. By extending the contract (and thereby increasing the term), the buyout changed. Otherwise we could be rid of him for $850k at the end of the season.

He should have re-done the buyout language when he extended the contract. It sounds like he did not.

I am not looking to pick a fight. Just trying to correct dissemination of incorrect information.

Carolina asked why the original contract did not provide for a low "buyout."

You replied that it did, but that Bohn changed the "buyout" with the extension. You also stated that the extension was poorly written.

There is nothing that I know of to suggest that the extension treats Hawkins' damages from a termination without cause any differently than the original contract.

It seems that the extension put Hawkins in precisely the same position he was in the date the the original contract was signed.

I am not looking to pick a fight.

:rofl2:

Carolina asked why the original contract did not provide for a low "buyout."

You replied that it did, but that Bohn changed the "buyout" with the extension. You also stated that the extension was poorly written.

There is nothing that I know of to suggest that the extension treats Hawkins' damages from a termination without cause any differently than the original contract.

It seems that the extension put Hawkins in precisely the same position he was in the date the the original contract was signed.

However you want to word it, Bohn ****ed CU when he gave Hawkins the extension with that buyout clause. Instead of being able to buy out DH for $850k after the end of this season, we're talking millions.

Is that 'fact-y' enough for you? Or would you care to continue arguing semantics, counselor?

However you want to word it, Bohn ****ed CU when he gave Hawkins the extension with that buyout clause. Instead of being able to buy out DH for $850k after the end of this season, we're talking millions.

Is that 'fact-y' enough for you? Or would you care to continue arguing semantics, counselor?
I don't disagree with that. Perhaps that is what you meant. It is not what you said.

What I don't get is that after all the money it cost us to buyout GB, why wasn't Hawk's contract written so the buyout wouldn't be so high? I know that was the intent when Hawk's contract was put together and the article states that, but it doesn't sound like that goal was accomplished if the buyout is almost $3 million at this point. :huh:

Coaches get guaranteed contracts. That's what the market will bear. If they have three years left, you pay off three years. If we could pay it off for less, there wouldn't be any point in the coach signing the contract for that long in the first place. We tie them down for three years, but they are owed that three years in salary. No head coach would sign a contract for longer than it was guaranteed for, and assistants aren't too fond of it either, which is why we have trouble keeping assistants. No assistant will sign a multi-year contract unless its guaranteed, so we can't sign assistants for longer than year-to-year, and so they leave for Auburn.

I should also point out that not giving coaches long-term job security hurts recruiting, and a program trying to re-build its reputation sort of need every advantage it can get.

Last edited:

I think people are confusing the buyout that Hawk would be obligated to pay us if he left while still under contract (That is still $500,000, I believe) with what we would have to pay Hawk if we fire him. People call that a "buyout" but its really just paying off his guaranteed salary. Coaches that are fired sometimes accept a lower amount to get the money up front when they are fired, if the contract in question calls for the guaranteed salary to be paid out over the remaining time on the contract. And that gets called a "buyout" which confuses people.

I think people are confusing the buyout that Hawk would be obligated to pay us if he left while still under contract (That is still $500,000, I believe) with what we would have to pay Hawk if we fire him. People call that a "buyout" but its really just paying off his guaranteed salary. Coaches that are fired sometimes accept a lower amount to get the money up front when they are fired, if the contract in question calls for the guaranteed salary to be paid out over the remaining time on the contract. And that gets called a "buyout" which confuses people.
^^^^^This.

No, I'm not confused. But thanks for assuming I was.:rolleyes:

Call it a buyout. Call it guaranteed salary. Call it whatever the **** you want to call it. We're all talking about the same thing. The amount of money CU would have to pay Hawkins if they fired him. Yes, he might be willing to accept a smaller number up front, although I don't know why he would.

Nobody is worried about his buyout if he voluntarily left because that would mean that he actually had another job offer and we could be rid of him.

No, I'm not confused. But thanks for assuming I was.:rolleyes:

Call it a buyout. Call it guaranteed salary. Call it whatever the **** you want to call it. We're all talking about the same thing. The amount of money CU would have to pay Hawkins if they fired him. Yes, he might be willing to accept a smaller number up front, although I don't know why he would.

Nobody is worried about his buyout if he voluntarily left because that would mean that he actually had another job offer and we could be rid of him.

I wasn't saying that you were confused. But there are people on this board who thought that the price for paying off Hawk's contract was $500,000, when that was the buyout for Hawk if he wanted to leave. I was trying to support your point, but thanks for attacking me for no good reason.

I wasn't saying that you were confused. But there are people on this board who thought that the price for paying off Hawk's contract was $500,000, when that was the buyout for Hawk if he wanted to leave. I was trying to support your point, but thanks for attacking me for no good reason.

Sorry I misunderstood your post. My bad.

What is the cost of not firing Hawkins? This is a catch 22 situation. Keep Hawkins and lose fans and their money. Pay Hawkins to go away and new coach generates buzz and fans wait and see. The second option has the bigger upside to me, because once a fan is gone only a winning program brings them back. Keeping Hawkins puts that recovery 5 or 6 years down the road. For a program that will spend in excess of 90 million dollars over the next 3 years, 3 million is not an overwhelming sum.

Coaches get guaranteed contracts. That's what the market will bear. If they have three years left, you pay off three years. If we could pay it off for less, there wouldn't be any point in the coach signing the contract for that long in the first place. We tie them down for three years, but they are owed that three years in salary. No head coach would sign a contract for longer than it was guaranteed for, and assistants aren't too fond of it either, which is why we have trouble keeping assistants. No assistant will sign a multi-year contract unless its guaranteed, so we can't sign assistants for longer than year-to-year, and so they leave for Auburn.

I should also point out that not giving coaches long-term job security hurts recruiting, and a program trying to re-build its reputation sort of need every advantage it can get.

^^^^this^^^^

^^^^^This.

^^^^that^^^^

Back