What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The CU fanbase has the general reputation of being fairweather

I would think there are a ton of ways to get asses in the seats and not for free. One, keep winning, always gets folks attention. Gotta be some kids programs that would love to go for discount prices or the money be given to charity. Alot of ways to do it, Im sure he has been trying. As far as "fair weather", I get that. It isnt uncommon even with big time programs. I was proud of the turnout, wouldve like to have been there.

OU didn't sellout their stadium in the 90s. That's a distant memory now that they are winning, but when I was at UT last year they didn't have a sellout either. Unfortunately, Folsom is a lot smaller than those stadiums and we don't charge the same for a seat.

We've been as high as 24k since Bohn took over, iirc. I believe we're currently at 20 or 21k and were 22k and change last year.

It dipped under 16k after the scandal, so there's been a lot of work to do.

There is absolutely no reason that 30k season tickets can't be our base with sellouts becoming the norm. Also, with the sellout of Club Level seating this year I think that if we see a stadium expansion it will be to add more of that.

Not to get too picky but the highest season ticket sales have been under Bohn is ~22,500 in 2008. The low after the Scandal was ~17,500 a major reason for the low was not the Scandal but the switch in 2005 to a mandatory donation hitting the people who had previously been grandfathered in. In the last 20 years season ticket sales have bounced up and down between 18,000 and 22,000. Ticket price increase before 2009 in conjunction with poor performance started a slight decline which continues.

Two-thirds of the season ticket holders are not Alums.

Things would have to change dramatically for CU to be sold out on a constant basis. Contrary to popular belief, population growth does not correlate to more ticket sales. Look at ASU, before they had pro football in Phoenix the Sun Devils were worshiped in Phoenix. They had great attendance but things change, the population grows but the passion gets diluted. Pro football came to town and ASU attendance has declined substantially while the local population numbers explode.

Will CU fans ever reach SEC passion for FB? I doubt it.

Not to get too picky but the highest season ticket sales have been under Bohn is ~22,500 in 2008. The low after the Scandal was ~17,500 a major reason for the low was not the Scandal but the switch in 2005 to a mandatory donation hitting the people who had previously been grandfathered in. In the last 20 years season ticket sales have bounced up and down between 18,000 and 22,000. Ticket price increase before 2009 in conjunction with poor performance started a slight decline which continues.

Two-thirds of the season ticket holders are not Alums.

Good info. Thanks.

Things would have to change dramatically for CU to be sold out on a constant basis. Contrary to popular belief, population growth does not correlate to more ticket sales. Look at ASU, before they had pro football in Phoenix the Sun Devils were worshiped in Phoenix. They had great attendance but things change, the population grows but the passion gets diluted. Pro football came to town and ASU attendance has declined substantially while the local population numbers explode.

Will CU fans ever reach SEC passion for FB? I doubt it.

I don't think anyone is expecting SEC level passion at CU. I think we're hoping to reach Oregon/Washington/Utah level passion. And I believe that is achievable.

We're looking at a 50% increase in students in the next 20 years. Also, the home base population is not a city population and really doesn't get to Denver all that much. Boulder and Broomfield Counties are growing like crazy, as is Jefferson County. If we see the 470 go from Broomfield to Golden, we'll see some ridiculous growth. Add in the 50% or more bump in AD revenues that we will get from the move to the Pac-12 and an AD that is focused on marketing and attendance figures like none of his predecessors.

I think we've got the perfect storm for achieving some things that didn't look possible in the past.

Meh, any program that goes 18-34 or whatever in the past five years is going to see fanbase attrition. It's not a CU problem, its a sh*tty football problem.

I don't think anyone is expecting SEC level passion at CU. I think we're hoping to reach Oregon/Washington/Utah level passion. And I believe that is achievable.

We're looking at a 50% increase in students in the next 20 years. Also, the home base population is not a city population and really doesn't get to Denver all that much. Boulder and Broomfield Counties are growing like crazy, as is Jefferson County. If we see the 470 go from Broomfield to Golden, we'll see some ridiculous growth. Add in the 50% or more bump in AD revenues that we will get from the move to the Pac-12 and an AD that is focused on marketing and attendance figures like none of his predecessors.

I think we've got the perfect storm for achieving some things that didn't look possible in the past.

I will disagree with that- people who tailgate around us are from Aurora, Littleton, Centennial, Douglas County...go on 36 after the game and it is bumper to bumper almost all the way to I-25. Those people are going to Metro Denver.

I guess we will just disagree.

I will disagree with that- people who tailgate around us are from Aurora, Littleton, Centennial, Douglas County...go on 36 after the game and it is bumper to bumper almost all the way to I-25. Those people are going to Metro Denver.

I guess we will just disagree.

We're not disagreeing. You misunderstood me. By "home base population" I meant the people who live down the street in the university community. People within the area for which the university is the cultural center and entertainment hub.

I fully realize that attendance for CU games draws from the entire Denver metro and is probably mostly outside the home base.

If we do it right, there's no reason why CU can't fill an 80,000+ stadium on a regular basis. It would take some effort and a commitment to a long range plan, but it's achievable, IMO.

Great point on ASU. They owned that state for a long time, pre-pro sports and pre-Lute Olson. But, like the front range, the multi-generational locals were watered down by transplants from all over the place. I mean, Phoenix has a Nebraska radio affiliate! While the PHX metro is huge now, they're not all Sun Devils, much less long-time Arizonans. And I think, in both the case of an ASU and CU, that can change to a positive in 30-40 years when the kids and grandkids of those current adults grow up and stay home for school and become alums and fans. I think both Phoenix and Denver are in similar spots with issues like that. But, over time, with the increased population, it will eventually pay off for schools like that which are close to a metro area.

If we do it right, there's no reason why CU can't fill an 80,000+ stadium on a regular basis. It would take some effort and a commitment to a long range plan, but it's achievable, IMO.

I don't know about 80,000. CU struggles to fill Folsom with its 53,613 capacity. Is the population base there now? Sure and it's growing. Does the population as a whole, even in Boulder, care very much about CU football... no. Maybe 80k could happen in 30-40 years, but it takes a hell of alot of time to do that.

I don't know about 80,000. CU struggles to fill Folsom with its 53,613 capacity. Is the population base there now? Sure and it's growing. Does the population as a whole, even in Boulder, care very much about CU football... no. Maybe 80k could happen in 30-40 years, but it takes a hell of alot of time to do that.

I guess that's my point. It would take a long time and a serious commitment to get there, but it could be done. That needs to be the goal. I'm not satisfied settling for where we are today.

Honestly, I think the next move on the stadium should actually be a capacity reduction where we'd use some of the existing footprint for more Club Seats and Luxury Boxes. Those give a lot of bang for the buck and we are currently selling them out.

I think this is correct. One major reason people buy season tickets for any team is so they can ensure that they can get seats to every game. I know people who buy Yankee or Mets season tickets just so they know they can can go to post-season games (yes, Mets tickets.)

That is silly... the Mets do not go to the postseason....

Crowds in the mid-to-high 40's for lesser opponents like this one over the past few years is a credit to Bohn and the marketing of the program, especially those "4 for $40" deals they had last year. Not sure if there were any special deals for this game but wouldn't be surprised if there was.

I bought my seats for $5, and my coworker bought seats plus kids jerseys (pretty nice ones too) for $15. I am a fairweather Football fan, but I go to every basketball game

Back