What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Great Recruiting Rankings non-Conspiracy

The rankings were updated this morning. Since 7/15, the three 4* we had all dropped a combined 318 spots in the composite rankings and every single one of our commits have also dropped at least a few spots.

Jake Wray dropped 238 spots this morning
Brendan Lewis dropped 44 spots this morning
Jayland Parker dropped 36 spots this morning

I highly doubt it's exclusive to CU recruits, but yes, since joining the CU commit list, every one of them have been given lower ratings.

The rankings were updated this morning. Since 7/15, the three 4* we had all dropped a combined 318 spots in the composite rankings and every single one of our commits have also dropped at least a few spots.

Jake Wray dropped 238 spots this morning
Brendan Lewis dropped 44 spots this morning
Jayland Parker dropped 36 spots this morning

I highly doubt it's exclusive to CU recruits, but yes, since joining the CU commit list, every one of them have been given lower ratings.
This is why we need to focus on offer lists and who we were actually competing with to land our recruits. I care very little about what some guy who works for Rivals thinks about a recruit. I care a lot about what some guy who coaches for a P5 program thinks about a recruit.

Or we could add an Allbuffs rating to every recruit thread.
You have preached recruiting success as a pretty defined metric based on star ratings and class rankings, yet you continually poo poo the idea that CU recruits get downgraded. I'm not arguing that CU is the only victim of the self-fulfilling prophecy that are recruiting class rankings, but it's not a nothingburger.

You have preached recruiting success as a pretty defined metric based on star ratings and class rankings, yet you continually poo poo the idea that CU recruits get downgraded. I'm not arguing that CU is the only victim of the self-fulfilling prophecy that are recruiting class rankings, but it's not a nothingburger.
So, it IS a conspiracy?

There could be a bias without there being a conspiracy.
Definitely bias. Less of it than people think comes from the pure profit/customer satisfaction side of favoring large fan base subscribers. More of it is of the "Alabama accepted his commitment so he must be better than we thought / Colorado got him so he must not be as good as we thought" variety.

Not necessarily a nothing burger, but still more noticeable to CU fans because the true blue chip recruits are few and far between.

Also, taking less JUCOs at some point before 2030 would really help.

Not necessarily a nothing burger, but still more noticeable to CU fans because the true blue chip recruits are few and far between.

Also, taking less JUCOs at some point before 2030 would really help.
Not really talking about the effect JUCO guys have on overall class rating. Talking about a guy like Wray, who when committed to tOSU was a consensus 4* and top 125 player in the country and since decommitting from them and committing to CU, has dropped 459 spots in the rankings and about .04% from low 90s to 87. Brendan Lewis and Parker have also seen pretty decent drops since committing to CU.

To be clear, I'm not saying this is exclusive to CU. I imagine most middle and lower tier P5 programs suffer from recruiting analyst confirmation bias.

Not really talking about the effect JUCO guys have on overall class rating. Talking about a guy like Wray, who when committed to tOSU was a consensus 4* and top 125 player in the country and since decommitting from them and committing to CU, has dropped 459 spots in the rankings and about .04% from low 90s to 87. Brendan Lewis and Parker have also seen pretty decent drops since committing to CU.

To be clear, I'm not saying this is exclusive to CU. I imagine most middle and lower tier P5 programs suffer from recruiting analyst confirmation bias.

I am saying there is a direct correlation to CU going JUCO heavy and a lower class ranking overall. It needs to change at some point.

And my other point is if you have more guys at the level of the guys you mentioned, the drops tend to not be that noticeable. No one will care nearly as much because the class is a lot better overall.

I am saying there is a direct correlation to CU going JUCO heavy and a lower class ranking overall. It needs to change at some point.

And my other point is if you have more guys at the level of the guys you mentioned, the drops tend to not be that noticeable. No one will care nearly as much because the class is a lot better overall.
This rhetoric you're pushing about JUCO's is awfully misplaced for this team specifically. Agreed being extremely JUCO heavy isn't great but ill gladly take the McMillan, Mustafa, Harris and Taylor type JUCO's. I think you need to recognize there is a difference between only recruiting JUCO's and using them to fill holes. The guys we took last year were to get big bodies on the offensive and defensive line, which we literally had nothing at- along with a TE and a LB to get depth.

Also, we need guys like Julian, Thomas and Justin Jackson to sign with us currently. Jackson is now getting recruited by Oklahoma, Thomas can get after the QB and everyone was happy with Julian so it is not like we are just going after warm bodies at this point. Those are all positions of need going forward at CB, DL and EDGE so not sure why you would be opposed to adding any of those players.

Leveling out the scholarship count between classes seeing as a majority are currently underclassman has to be another priority for MT. 17 of our 85 will be seniors next year.

This rhetoric you're pushing about JUCO's is awfully misplaced for this team specifically. Agreed being extremely JUCO heavy isn't great but ill gladly take the McMillan, Mustafa, Harris and Taylor type JUCO's. I think you need to recognize there is a difference between only recruiting JUCO's and using them to fill holes. The guys we took last year were to get big bodies on the offensive and defensive line, which we literally had nothing at- along with a TE and a LB to get depth.

Also, we need guys like Julian, Thomas and Justin Jackson to sign with us currently. Jackson is now getting recruited by Oklahoma, Thomas can get after the QB and everyone was happy with Julian so it is not like we are just going after warm bodies at this point. Those are all positions of need going forward at CB, DL and EDGE so not sure why you would be opposed to adding any of those players.

Leveling out the scholarship count between classes seeing as a majority are currently underclassman has to be another priority for MT. 17 of our 85 will be seniors next year.
I don’t think @Duff Man disagrees with you. He’s saying to recruit so we don’t have so many damn holes & can use JUCOs / grad transfers strategically instead of desperately. Once that happens and we sign more of the mix from HS, our class ranks will improve even if the caliber of player remains the same.

I don’t think @Duff Man disagrees with you. He’s saying to recruit so we don’t have so many damn holes & can use JUCOs / grad transfers strategically instead of desperately. Once that happens and we sign more of the mix from HS, our class ranks will improve even if the caliber of player remains the same.

Exactly. Averaging 5-6 JUCO/grad transfers on defense is not normal and is becoming reliant on them. No one can honestly say the prep DL recruiting has been anywhere close to adequate the last several classes.

And going young for a year might need to happen for it to finally flip. That is okay if you are recruiting prep players at a high level.

Back