What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The move to the Pac should really help the basketball program

Big East has at least 6 national champion teams with Georgetown, Syracuse, Connecticut, Villanova, Louisville and Marquette. That's all I could think of off the top of my head. But it's also a 16-team league.

Marquette wasn't in the Big East when they won their title, and I'm not sure about Lousiville.

True. Neither was. Marquette's was back when Maguire was coaching them about 30 years ago. Louisville's was under Crum and almost as far back.

Yes they were. And more PAC teams have won national championships (5) than any other conference. A total of 15 national titles.

And 1 seed kansas losing in the 2nd round to Northern Iowa, or the first round to Bucknell, or the first round to Bradley, etc, doesn't suggest to me that they're always a final four contender.

Technically that's true although 2 of those titles came back in '39 and '42 (Oregon and Stanford). Even the MWC has 3 going back to those years. :huh:

Technically that's true although 2 of those titles came back in '39 and '42 (Oregon and Stanford). Even the MWC has 3 going back to those years. :huh:

I tend to discount any championships prior to 1970. It's now so long ago. And, more importantly, college sports wasn't racially integrated until then. Kentucky didn't have its first black player until 1969, for example. Alabama didn't have its first black football player until 1970. Add in the way athletic training changed around that time and I believe that 1970 is a good starting point for the "modern era".

If the 1968 UCLA team could compete in the tournament now, I would wager that the Lew Alcindor, Sidney Wicks, Curtis Rowe, Lynn Shackleford, Steve Patterson, etc. group would win it rather easily.

I tend to discount any championships prior to 1970. It's now so long ago. And, more importantly, college sports wasn't racially integrated until then. Kentucky didn't have its first black player until 1969, for example. Alabama didn't have its first black football player until 1970. Add in the way athletic training changed around that time and I believe that 1970 is a good starting point for the "modern era".

Texas won the NC in football with an all-white team in 1970. not a bad spot to start....thought it punishes a bit perhaps those schools less slow to integrate.

Wasn't Earl Campbell on that Texas Football team? I know UT hasn't won any mens bball championships.

Indeed. But I'd prefer one title (KU) to three consecutive Final Fours (UCLA).

Like them or not, KU has been a model of college hoops consistency/excellency over the past 20-25 years. UCLA has not, which is why I'm saying that Kansas has a more impressive history, because all UCLA really has is the Wooden years and the '95 title. Hell, there are alot of teams that have been much more successful in the modern era than UCLA, even in its own conference (Arizona).

Urbana,

Wasn't UCLA in 3 straight Final Fours prior to last year's bad season?

Indeed. But I'd prefer one title (KU) to three consecutive Final Fours (UCLA).

Like them or not, KU has been a model of college hoops consistency/excellency over the past 20-25 years. UCLA has not, which is why I'm saying that Kansas has a more impressive history, because all UCLA really has is the Wooden years and the '95 title. Hell, there are alot of teams that have been much more successful in the modern era than UCLA, even in its own conference (Arizona).

I'll grant you KU as the model of consistency. As good as the Big 8 and Big 12 have been, everyone pretty much went into every regular season playing for 2nd. UCLA can't say that, not even close. It's one of the reasons I feel like we've got a better opportunity in the Pac 12. Not that I believe it's a weaker conference (they're both great). But because I believe that UCLA and Arizona leave room for hope that we can win a conference title.

It seems to me that UA's best days might be behind them and UCLA too so I really do see CU basketball benefiting from this and the new practice facilities should help the Buffs. I'd keep an eye on Oregon since the Ducks will open a new arena early next year.

It'll be good to talk some basketball on www.pac12fans.com (a Pac-12 focused forum not a single school focused forum like AllBuffs).

Back