What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The MWC is...

If the Mountain West were able to secure an automatic BCS bid, their payouts would increase substantially. I have no idea what it actually takes to become a BCS automatic qualifier. Make no mistake, though, I believe a big part of the attraction of Utah was that by taking them, the Pac basically eliminated the MWC from consideration for an auto-bid. The last thing the Pac wants is another BCS conference in it's backyard.

If the Mountain West were able to secure an automatic BCS bid, their payouts would increase substantially. I have no idea what it actually takes to become a BCS automatic qualifier. Make no mistake, though, I believe a big part of the attraction of Utah was that by taking them, the Pac basically eliminated the MWC from consideration for an auto-bid. The last thing the Pac wants is another BCS conference in it's backyard.

The best analytical breakdown I've seen on the MWC's chances for an AQ bid are here:

http://www.byucougs.com/2010/04/official-bcs-conference-standings.html

His analysis points out that the MWC (prior to Boise invitation and Utah leaving) had the MWC "on the cusp" of meeting the automatic standards, which puts them in the category of going to the Presidential Oversight Committee. who knows at that point.

He hasn't updated yet for the Utah/Boise switch, but I think it would have gotten slightly better, but not enough to move them past the previous category.

Adding Fresno+Houston+??? doesn't really help them either because the one category they need to improve on is the "Average Final Regular Season Ranking for All Teams".
They already are at 59.2 and over the last two years none of those teams would move that mark significantly.

When Utah hoists it's first national title banner, boasts a heisman trophy winner, and begins to overtake BYU in attendance - maybe then Utah can claim to be the "flagship." Until then I am sure there will be a raging debate in Utah.

Do you know what flagship means?

Back