What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Tad Boyle Era: Perception vs Reality

I've had a few bouts with back spasms in my life. The first time, I couldn't swing a bat for a month. I couldn't imagine having to play basketball. I do appreciate everyone playing doctor, however.

XJ's foot was amputated after the Utah game thanks to internet doctors.

Wow, welp the times I had it were rough for a few days but after a week you'd never have even known I had them. Searching the web it says that once the spasms are done the patient should be good to go, but if there was a strain involved that may take a long time to heal

Mahalo

A lot of this talk about how we can't judge this team while Scott and XJ are out is BS. Both of them were playing in non-conference and the team didn't get it done. I feel like Tad's deficiencies on offensive schemes are made up by his superiority in defensive coaching, even though we've dropped off from the true Tadball we've seen in recent years. We simply don't have much offensive talent on this team. A lot of "decent" players, very few creators.

The biggest thing I blame on Tad is failing to see the value of recruiting and/or developing competent spot-up shooters. Every successful team has at least 2 and they're invaluable. We have Ski for about 10 more games, and then after that, who on this entire roster would you have any real confidence in on the perimeter? JHop is improving but he still doesn't have the mechanics or mentality to be that guy. And without a guy that can consistently penetrate and kick to the open man outside, we never get uncontested looks. It's a glaring deficiency on recent Tad teams.

Last edited:
A lot of this talk about how we can't judge this team while Scott and XJ are out is BS. Both of them were playing in non-conference and the team didn't get it done.

Yes they were playing and healthy against Wyoming as I recall. Still it's hard to think they might not have made up a 6-point difference at ASU or 2 points yesterday.

Obviously some bad luck in conference play regarding missed games to Josh Scott and XJ. Instead of being 2-4, likely 4-2 if they are both playing.

I still have some major reservations with our offense. We come off as a team that wants to have the highlight reel play, rather than just the good basketball play. We have to have the lowest percentage of completed alley oops in the conference. Criticism of Tad Boyle is not the same thing as advocating for him to be on the hot seat. I believe if Colorado is to have the success that ultimately leads to Tad Boyle having a statue outside CEC, the offense has to change. My hope is that Tad finally recognizes he needs to get better in that direction.

It's like some guys have forgotten the Buffs basketball history prior to Tad. And, to some degree, Bzdelik.

I don't think anyone is taking away from Tad's success. He has really turned around the program, and deserves credit for that. But the truly great coaches realize they have to get better. You can never be satisfied where you are.

In this case, since we have taken a step back, it should be even more clear to him. Yes, there are issues with the players. We don't have a true PG. We have some locker room issues, and there could very well be a talented player or two leaving the program after this season. We have been hit hard by injuries in Conference play.

But at the same time, the coaching staff has not been a strength of this team for THIS SEASON.

I don't think anyone is taking away from Tad's success. He has really turned around the program, and deserves credit for that. But the truly great coaches realize they have to get better. You can never be satisfied where you are.

In this case, since we have taken a step back, it should be even more clear to him. Yes, there are issues with the players. We don't have a true PG. We have some locker room issues, and there could very well be a talented player or two leaving the program after this season. We have been hit hard by injuries in Conference play.

But at the same time, the coaching staff has not been a strength of this team for THIS SEASON.

I agree with a lot of what you said here. I have a hard time being critical of Tad given what came before and I put my own spin on the topic without following the conversation.

Yes, this season has been disappointing.

Last edited:
Sometimes I hope we never get good at football, because you sportsballing fans are the worst.

I don't know what kind of assistants Tad has brought in, or has currently, but a lot of small tasks that can be put under a microscope are done by assistants. Set plays, match ups, end of game possessions etc can all come from assistants. Which does fall on the shoulders of the HC acquiring and keeping good assistants, but I think maybe his ability to acquire those assistants could be where the problem lies rather than just on the surface that Tad can't create good set plays/inbounds etc. In that same vein, a lot of recruiting is done by assistants. At least in terms of leg work. Which again goes hand in hand with the complaints I see of lack of recruiting recently.

I don't know what kind of assistants Tad has brought in, or has currently, but a lot of small tasks that can be put under a microscope are done by assistants. Set plays, match ups, end of game possessions etc can all come from assistants. Which does fall on the shoulders of the HC acquiring and keeping good assistants, but I think maybe his ability to acquire those assistants could be where the problem lies rather than just on the surface that Tad can't create good set plays/inbounds etc. In that same vein, a lot of recruiting is done by assistants. At least in terms of leg work. Which again goes hand in hand with the complaints I see of lack of recruiting recently.

2 of the assistants (Pri and Rohn) have been with Tad since day one. Rodney Billups was the operations/support guy before getting promoted to an assistant position a couple years ago.

If there's an issue with the coaches, it's nothing to do with recruiting emphasis, teaching, game prep or even on the X's and O's scheme / individual play side. At this point, the potential issue is stagnation. Pri and Rohn have been ready to take HC jobs for at least 2 years and the right offer hasn't come for either of them. We've got a tight group with 3 CEO personalities at this point. Beyond that, Kearney is the operations guys since last year. He's a very experienced guy who went from the long-time Notre Dame bench coach to being a head coach. So that's more ego (and a guy from outside the tight club) thrown into the mix.

It's probably good timing for some change this offseason. I'm hoping to see Pri and/or Rohn get a HC gig. I think Rodney will be here long-term in a Capel/Coach K type situation where he might be the next HC in 15 years.

Pri and Rohn are going to have a tough time getting HC gigs after this year, I'm afraid.

Pri and Rohn are going to have a tough time getting HC gigs after this year, I'm afraid.

No - both are respected recruiters and have a lot to of basketball connections. Just because you've fallen off of the bandwagon doesn't mean the rest of the hoops world has.

I don't think it's far-fetched to think if someone else were hired they couldn't have similar results to Tad. Consider the circumstances: Inherited a talented team, brand new facilities, moved into a significantly easier conference, and the west opened as viable recruiting territory. These things plus the struggles of the football program also created a lot of momentum behind the basketball program, for whatever that's worth. Granted just assumptions but I think more likely then not Scott, Gordon, and Roberson (already recruited by Bzdelik, very few players left so late in the spring) all end up here regardless of the coach.

Is, for example, over five years one NCAA tournament win and just a few weeks in the top-25 really setting the bar that high? To this point everyone wants to grade Tad on a curve relative to the history of the program but I don't understand why that matters much, particularly when the perception with the football program seems to be the opposite-its history has no bearing on how the program does/should perform present day.

I don't think it's far-fetched to think if someone else were hired they couldn't have similar results to Tad. Consider the circumstances: Inherited a talented team, brand new facilities, moved into a significantly easier conference, and the west opened as viable recruiting territory. These things plus the struggles of the football program also created a lot of momentum behind the basketball program, for whatever that's worth. Granted just assumptions but I think more likely then not Scott, Gordon, and Roberson (already recruited by Bzdelik, very few players left so late in the spring) all end up here regardless of the coach.

Is, for example, over five years one NCAA tournament win and just a few weeks in the top-25 really setting the bar that high? To this point everyone wants to grade Tad on a curve relative to the history of the program but I don't understand why that matters much, particularly when the perception with the football program seems to be the opposite-its history has no bearing on how the program does/should perform present day.

Addressing just the bold, I've been thinking about that myself lately. It's strange how we've convinced ourselves our positive football history has no bearing by now, but our lack of positive history in basketball is an enormous factor. Which is it? I'm sure in reality it's in the middle.

Who knows, Tad's certainly had some talented players, including right now. But I've seen a lot of fan frustration this year - we thought the upward trend would continue, and when it didn't Tad started getting criticism not previously seen. IMO the success of the football program some 25 years ago (and it was incredible - recently re-read some of the press from that period) has raised the bar for both programs. The football incompetence has been especially galling in light of the former glory. I don't feel the bar has been lowered at all for football, at least from fan perspective, it's just been so frustratingly hopeless to even dream of competing for a championship that the bar appears to be lower. I guarantee if the football team wins half their games next Fall there will be a spike in expectations towards taking the next step and competing for the pac12 title and beyond. Just my thoughts.

Tad's the right guy for Colorado. Sometimes a coach simply fits a place. Tad and Colorado go together like peanut butter and jelly.

When Tad got the job, Alec Burks had one foot out the door. Maybe any other coach would have done what Tad did, I don't know. But Tad knew exactly how to handle it and Alec stayed. And I think most players have improved under him. The guy has an innate feel for doing the right things.

Tad's the right guy for Colorado. Sometimes a coach simply fits a place. Tad and Colorado go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Just a freaky year....The right combo of injuries, inexperience, and suspensions have hurt.....I don't think its a product of a super tough sked-Utah, Arizona, and maybe GW make the dance.

Wyoming has a bad RPI for an at large team (78) going into tonight. Give them credit for going to Cal and SMU....nobody thought Cal would be that bad. They don't have much OOC, but they've got a sweep of CSU to go along with home wins over San Diego State and Boise. Definitely playing well enough to get the auto bid, but if they swept SDSU or Boise.....They may not need it.

CSU has a great RPI (29-37 was the highest RPI ever for a team who missed the tournament) going into tonight. Their OOC stunk (best win based on RPI was Georgia State at 84). They've got wins over San Diego State and Boise at home, and they've been swept by Wyoming.....I'm calling it now-They DO NOT get in if they don't get the auto bid.

Georgia is a little iffy IMO-great RPI (27). 5 top 100 wins (including one over us), but they've got a couple ugly losses (South Carolina might not be an issue, but Georgia Tech is BAD).

Washington has no business in the NCAA or NIT, and they're in free fall bad. If any of these losses bug me, its that one. They're done.

Hawaii and ASU both need auto bids.

Look on the bright side here-the rest of the schedule isn't as difficult-

Utah will be a tough out here. I'll say we win it close for this-Ski will go off again.
I don't see why we can't sweep the Bay Area schools.
Split in Oregon is best case scenario.
I think we split the Arizona homestand, but I think a W against UA is feasible.
Sweep of the Washington schools on the road-Who knows what we'll see when we play UW, and there's no reason why we can't handle WSU again.

That puts us at 18-12 heading into the conference tournament, and 11-7 in Pac 12 play. Barring a loss at the hands of somebody like USC or Wazzu, that should be good enough to get into the NIT and get at least two home games if we win....which means extra practices for guys like Miller, Collier, and our sophomores. We're gonna be fine.

Not so fast my friend...

Another opinion: Boyle does not recruit well. Tom Abatemarco found Spencer and Pri brought in Ski. Since then, Boyle did get Scott! That was a huge get and should not be discounted. However, beyond that, Boyle has failed to get any elite players to follow up on early success. Collier is a solid prospect, but he is having a poor freshman campaign. Boyle missed on Jabari Bird and Tyrone Wallace as well as Robert Upshaw (despite his weed charge). Boyle also just missed on Dorsey as well as in-state 2016 stud De'Ron Davis
Boyle seems to recruit wings and lots of them, yet the team has dire needs at PG, PF and C. The team is loaded with complimentary players. Satterwhite's video's were not very impressive. However, he does have extremely long arms. Perhaps he will grow a few more inches into a SF with combo guard skills.

Last edited:
Another opinion: Boyle does not recruit well. Tom Abatemarco found Spencer and Ski. Spencer was originally a 3 star, then moved up to a 4 star after being selected as L.A City Player of the Year. USC was in disaray and UCLA (Howland) was only recruting outside of Southern California at the time. Arizona did not offer Spencer and by the time those 3 schools were out of the picture, UW, Oregon and CAL had all scholarships filled. Hence, Spencer fell into CU's lap as a 4 star, he signed with a chip on his shoulder, grew 2" and never looked back. Ski was the 2nd leading scorer in SoCal his Senior season, but was overlooked being 5'9" as well as the SoCal local reason for UCLA and USC (mentioned for Spencer). Abatemarco did a fabulous job of bringing them to CU.
Since then, Boyle did get Scott! That was a huge get and should not be discounted. However, beyond that, Boyle has failed to get any elite players to follow up on early success. Collier is a solid prospect, but he is having a poor freshman campaign. Boyle missed on Jabari Bird and Tyrone Wallace as well as Robert Upshaw (despite his weed charge). Boyle also just missed on Dorsey as well as in-state 2016 stud (and telling, enormous loss) in De'Ron Davis (Davis has stated he is down to Indiana or Arizona, but willing to listen if Kentucky comes calling - CU is not an option).
Boyle has recruited wings and lots of them (2 recent 0 star players who appear to be the exact same type players in Satterwhite and Deleon Brown), Hopkins, Fletcher, Thomas, King, Fortune, Stalzer and even Xavier Johnson who all play out on the perimeter, shoot often from deep (with low %), yet the team has dire needs at PG (with only prospect Collier next season), PF and C (the team needs replacement and quality replacements for X. Johnson and Scott - Boyle signs two SG's, exact height, skills and low level offers from the rest of the entire nation). CU now only has 2 scholarships left to replace Booker, Scott, X. Johnson and Talton).
The team (after next season) is completely filled with rotation players, zero impact players. Boyle has done a poor job recruiting since Scott and Gordon signed and has missed on every single player out of state with 3 stars or higher - opting to sign role players.
Realistically, CU is already dead and at the bottom of the PAC 12, however, it will take the 2016 season to see it (once Scott and both Xaviers have departed as well as Booker). Fortune is a bandaid and Hopkins is a nice player as your 4th option. Unfortunately, Boyle has not recruited well and that is all CU has after 2016 and minimal scholarships. If Boyle cannot get any impact players to sign when the program is doing well, who realistically will sign when they are at the bottom of the PAC12??? Boyle has built up equity with winning on players he inherited, 2 players gifted to him by issues in SoCal and an assistant coach no longer at CU. Unless Boyle can magically sign 2 top 25 players immediately, CU may be the 3rd best team in the state and cellar dwellar in the PAC 12.
I see him being fired by the AD at the end of a third straight .500 season or worse after the 2016-17 season. Realistically, the AD should be proactive and fire Boyle at seasons end, unless Boyle can actually land De'Ron Davis and another elite prospect - CU success is done under Boyle!

I'm supposed to be banned right now so I'll keep this short and sweet...The above post is moronic on several fronts. The premise isn't totally off base but it's terribly argued and the final conclusion is completely erroneous. Plus it seems like this was written by an ape and my head hurts just from trying to read through it (parentheses are not always your friend).

I want to emphasize that JRourk is in no way affiliated with the allbuffs pessimist movement nor does the pessimist movement condone or agree many of the opinions expressed above.

Given the resemblance in our names I also want to clarify that JRourk and JRK are not the same person. I have established brand equity and have no interest in cheapening it with posts like the one above.

I will now go back to serving my temporary ban as I clearly respect the Junta's decision and thus must under all circumstances adhere to it.

Another opinion: Boyle does not recruit well. Tom Abatemarco found Spencer and Ski. Spencer was originally a 3 star, then moved up to a 4 star after being selected as L.A City Player of the Year. USC was in disaray and UCLA (Howland) was only recruting outside of Southern California at the time. Arizona did not offer Spencer and by the time those 3 schools were out of the picture, UW, Oregon and CAL had all scholarships filled. Hence, Spencer fell into CU's lap as a 4 star, he signed with a chip on his shoulder, grew 2" and never looked back. Ski was the 2nd leading scorer in SoCal his Senior season, but was overlooked being 5'9" as well as the SoCal local reason for UCLA and USC (mentioned for Spencer). Abatemarco did a fabulous job of bringing them to CU.
Since then, Boyle did get Scott! That was a huge get and should not be discounted. However, beyond that, Boyle has failed to get any elite players to follow up on early success. Collier is a solid prospect, but he is having a poor freshman campaign. Boyle missed on Jabari Bird and Tyrone Wallace as well as Robert Upshaw (despite his weed charge). Boyle also just missed on Dorsey as well as in-state 2016 stud (and telling, enormous loss) in De'Ron Davis (Davis has stated he is down to Indiana or Arizona, but willing to listen if Kentucky comes calling - CU is not an option).
Boyle has recruited wings and lots of them (2 recent 0 star players who appear to be the exact same type players in Satterwhite and Deleon Brown), Hopkins, Fletcher, Thomas, King, Fortune, Stalzer and even Xavier Johnson who all play out on the perimeter, shoot often from deep (with low %), yet the team has dire needs at PG (with only prospect Collier next season), PF and C (the team needs replacement and quality replacements for X. Johnson and Scott - Boyle signs two SG's, exact height, skills and low level offers from the rest of the entire nation). CU now only has 2 scholarships left to replace Booker, Scott, X. Johnson and Talton).
The team (after next season) is completely filled with rotation players, zero impact players. Boyle has done a poor job recruiting since Scott and Gordon signed and has missed on every single player out of state with 3 stars or higher - opting to sign role players.
Realistically, CU is already dead and at the bottom of the PAC 12, however, it will take the 2016 season to see it (once Scott and both Xaviers have departed as well as Booker). Fortune is a bandaid and Hopkins is a nice player as your 4th option. Unfortunately, Boyle has not recruited well and that is all CU has after 2016 and minimal scholarships. If Boyle cannot get any impact players to sign when the program is doing well, who realistically will sign when they are at the bottom of the PAC12??? Boyle has built up equity with winning on players he inherited, 2 players gifted to him by issues in SoCal and an assistant coach no longer at CU. Unless Boyle can magically sign 2 top 25 players immediately, CU may be the 3rd best team in the state and cellar dwellar in the PAC 12.
I see him being fired by the AD at the end of a third straight .500 season or worse after the 2016-17 season. Realistically, the AD should be proactive and fire Boyle at seasons end, unless Boyle can actually land De'Ron Davis and another elite prospect - CU success is done under Boyle!

Some valid points but my head hurts, not only at trying to read this but at the final conclusion. Is your crystal ball so good you have any hot stock tips?

I agree with several of your points, but holy smokes!!! Boyle is not getting fired anytime before 2020. The staff has proven they can find good talent and we can only pray our coaching staff can do it again.

Although CU might currently have the most athletic team we've had here in Colorado history, I agree that the recruiting needs to ramp up, and that is fact! I'd also like to point out, why does this Colorado team seem to lack confidence and swag (besides Booker and XJ when their hot, lol)? Boyle has to figure that out.

Recruiting started off well with Roberson, then Dinwiddie and Ski (who was recruited by Pri), then XJ. Josh Scott and Wes Gordon sort of fell into our laps by being Colorado kids. I root for these guys, but I'm not sure we should've given scholarships out to Talton and Stalzer. I think with some harder work we could have gotten definite upgrades with those scholarships.

The team we currently have is still growing and getting better. I think it's just taking longer than expected. Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but in reality, next years lineup is experienced and they'll be better. Definitely not a sub .500 team.

PG Collier/Talton/Stalzer
SG Fortune/Hopkins/King
SF XJ/Fletcher
PF Gordon/Thomas
C Scott/Miller

I think the future is bright for Collier, and once he gets bigger and matures, watch out.

My immediate concern is that Tad has to find a scorer, a shooter and more height for the 2016-2017 season.

We have to get in on some Top 100 players, because we can't consistently vie for the Pac 12 championship with diamonds in the rough. I wonder if Tad is against getting players from the JC ranks? Seems to work for some other schools.

I really like the Satterwhite commitment, because he looks like a baller. The other kid from Detroit looks so, so... Sorta like the Detroit kid we had that ended up transferring. Tad is at a turning point where I don't think any scholly's can be wasted just because we need to fill in a roster spot.

In TadWeTrust

Last edited:
I remember being at the Walrus in '06 after Bzdelik took AFA dancing and my buddy predicted that Bz would be our coach. I said no way. He'll get hired somewhere with a culture.

I remember Ricardo looking mad because his squad was training on the rec court next to where I was shooting jumpers.

All this "we can't have nice things" talk is some loser message board crap. I feel super lucky to have all the talent that's come through for the Buffs over the last 7 years.
No one expected any of our guys to reach the team & individual achievements that they've had.

Before the season, some of you were talking about what career path Boyle would take while comparing him to Boeheim, Coach K etc. I said I'd be pumped if he ended up like Lorenzo Romar. The reality is there's too much extremism on message boards.

The weakest hot take ever is talking about players' heart & how much they want it. Making that assertion exposes you as having no clue & nothing of substance to add. Scott, XJ, & Ski have all played through injuries, whether its been successfully or unsuccessfully, it doesn't matter. DT was crying when he was fouled out at USC on some BS. Gordon & J-Hop have turned their game up because of the injuries. Tired of seeing people criticize our players' character. Totally unwarranted & ignorant.

This season has been a combination of exposed flaws & bad luck. That's gravity. Let's critique some of the schemes as I'm sure the staff will just as they did last offseason. The reality is most college coaches are bad offensive coaches. Culture & talent trump scheme every time & there's no questioning that Boyle has brought that to CU.

Back