What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

This Loss is on the Coaches

I don’t know. Maybe because thelr safeties will crowd the box if they know were gonna run it every snap. Call me crazy.

then there’s the fact that WR is one of the most talented units on the field.

we’re not a complete team. Guys commit penalties but we don’t have the depth to bench them.
You are right that had we turtled the would have stuffed us. We were being effective though running the ball as long as we mixed it up.

Our WRs are our most talented unit but DB is their best unit on defense. We needed to keep throwing the ball but the deep ball wasn't there. What was there was the intermediate stuff. They couldn't cover Brown all night on the stuff 8-15 yards downfield. On a couple of plays they were giving Viska over 10 yards of cushion and we still tried to go deep instead of getting him the ball fast and letting him do what he does best which is operate with the ball in the open field.

We also were killing them on runs by Montez. We had multiple plays with 2nd or 3rd and less than 5 when the middle of the field opened up. A simple QB draw would have given us yardage, the first down, and kept the clock running but instead we launched it over the head of a double or triple covered deep receiver.

We wouldn’t be having this conversation if we recover the fumble on their game winning drive. We had the sack, the ball on the ground and we missed our chance seal the game.
MT is the right coach. If we can recruit some playmakers on defense we will be fine.

Wouldn't you say we need some AC upgrades?

Here’s what drives me nuts about last night: punting twice inside the 40 in the fourth quarter is extremely conservative. I get it if the purpose is to establish a team identity of tough, hard-nosed, conservative football. But we look schizophrenic when you pair those decisions with the offensive play calling over the same period and numerous other decisions to go for it on fourth down this season. It’s total half-assed commitment to establish an identity, which leaves us with pretty much the only identity we’ve known for the last 15 years: losers.

Whenever a loss is by 2 TDS or less it’s easy to identify a couple of plays that could have reversed the outcome. A couple of TD passes that could have been pick-6s for example. In this case it’s especially painful because there are so many single plays that would have reversed the outcome. In the end it’s all about what actually happened - the loser focuses on failed opportunities and assigns blame, the winner relives successful plays and assigns credit.

And the situation that stands out the most is the 3rd and 4 with a little over 6 minutes left at the USC 38. In that situation it should be 4-down territory so run it twice to try and make 4 yards. Instead we have Montez pass on 3rd down and then double-down on that bad call by deciding to punt on 4th. :mad:
This times a thousand. I was really frustrated with the playcalling on that series.

Wouldn't you say we need some AC upgrades?
Definitely. We need upgrades in the defensive side of the ball. I would upgrade the DC spot based on what I’ve seen to date. changing that quick is probably not giving Summers a fair shake, but unless something clicks and we start playing solid defense for 4 quarters, I would be happy try another DC. Especially if Mason came free. I am more concerned about recruiting though. At the very least I would swap out an ineffective so cal recruiter for a proven recruiter with so cal ties. If we could bring in Lupoi that would be great, but he is probably out of our budget. Nansen at USC will Likely be available. I’d go after him.

USC has to be a rivalry game. We've come close 3 of the last 5 years. If you don't want to beat them as much or more than csu or nubs, you're wrong.
add USC, UW, Texas, and Clemson for 6 Rivals.

USC has to be a rivalry game. We've come close 3 of the last 5 years. If you don't want to beat them as much or more than csu or nubs, you're wrong.

i agree! The Buffs have proven that they are good to handle CSU and the nubs adequate enough. Now is the time to focus on the USC and Ute rivalry...maybe the ASU match up will become a heated thing? I just feel that Tucker was a little miffed at the treatment of the team by the refs and USCs demeanor. So, I expect that next year’s game will be circled. I definitely want to beat USC in the worst way in the years to come!

i agree! The Buffs have proven that they are good to handle CSU and the nubs adequate enough. Now is the time to focus on the USC and Ute rivalry...maybe the ASU match up will become a heated thing? I just feel that Tucker was a little miffed at the treatment of the team by the refs and USCs demeanor. So, I expect that next year’s game will be circled. I definitely want to beat USC in the worst way in the years to come!
I already hated USC before this season, after Saturday my hatred grew by a mile.
I am still sick to my stomach over this loss. The last time I felt like this after a loss was in the late 90’s heartbreakers to Nebraska.
This feels similar, so many close games and beginning to think you will never beat them and then 62-36 happens. I think our 62-36 type game vs USC is getting closer.

Last edited:
I already hated USC before this season, after Saturday my hatred grew by a mile.
I am still sick to my stomach over this loss. The last time I felt like this after a loss was in the late 90’s heartbreakers to ****braska.
This feels similar, so many close games and beginning to think you will never beat them and then 62-36 happens. I think our 62-36 type game vs USC is getting closer.
I wish we get our first win against them like 77-0 or something. Fantasy, I know, but still.

Hey Allbuffs!! Enough with the Nubs. THIS is the post that should be required reading.

To me, a rivalry game means both sides are involved. When one team has won all 14 games you’ve ever played, you might circle them and intensify the effort, but USC will not consider CU a rivalry game unless CU wins at least a couple of times, perhaps with a fight or two thrown in.

To me, a rivalry game means both sides are involved. When one team has won all 14 games you’ve ever played, you might circle them and intensify the effort, but USC will not consider CU a rivalry game unless CU wins at least a couple of times, perhaps with a fight or two thrown in.
To the end, my nub coworkers insisted we were never rivals.

This defense has to live and die by man coverage and getting pressure. Their front 3-4 guys are atrocious at getting a pocket push or God forbid, actual beating their guy 1v1. When we blitz and pressure, good things have happened. When we let a true freshman QB have 5+ seconds in a clean pocket, out 5th and 6th string DBs have trouble covering. Who would have thought?!?

Tyson Summers needs to be one and done here.

this!!!!!

That's at least partially why it is a rivalry. They have caught us at a really bad time, most of 2006-current. And probably most of 2002-current.

Back