What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

This one is ALL on the coaching staff.

There's plenty of blame to go around after this game.

Coaches: The fact that the game completely turned after half tells me that our staff doesn't know how to make adjustments at halftime. This is a trend that has killed us all year. We always look bad in the third quarter. Need to change this, and quickly.

Why should they have made any adjustments? They were up by 21 points! They were dominating the game! You don't come out and run a different offense or a different defense when you're getting those kind of results.

A couple points:

1. I've been going to Buff games since birth. I haven't missed a home game in 10 years or so. Can you say the same? I'm hardly a bandwagon fan.

2. The coaching staff sucked today. Going for it on 4th when they were up 21-0, abandoning the run, unimaginative playcalling, no adjustments, etc. There is no excuse for that and it's about time the staff owned up to it.

3. This team is not getting better, unfortunately. They're regressing.

You are a very ****ty CU fan. We don't need bandwagon fans like you.:wink2:

Let's separate the people from the behavior.

The coaching performance against ISU and every single other B12 north team is disappointing. It's also disappointing that the team has stopped evolving into a better football team after the OU upset.

These are not bad coaches, or bad people. Count me in Hawks corner. Anyone calling for heads ought to take a 30 minute walk and come back.

Hawkins and company OWNED the south this year. The coaches have been running a clean program (so far as I can tell), The recruits are coming. Hawkins is the kind of coach who owns up to his shortcomings, and will hold himself and his program accountable. Adustments will be made. Let's see which BUFF team and fan base shows up on *eBRAska week.

Even though you can point to the 4th down failure as a clear turning point, I didn't think it was all that bad of a call. They were near midfield and it's not like it was 4th and 5. Instead how about that 3rd down at the end of the game? Now that was bad. Cody should've been clearly instructed to either throw it away or make damm sure that the pass you throw is for first down yardage. A stoppage of the clock or a first down there would've avoided that end of game snafu.

Too many mistakes overall in the 2nd half - dropped passes, bad throws, bad penalties, turnovers. And that personal foul on Dykes was total BS.

Even though you can point to the 4th down failure as a clear turning point, I didn't think it was all that bad of a call. They were near midfield and it's not like it was 4th and 5. Instead how about that 3rd down at the end of the game? Now that was bad. Cody should've been clearly instructed to either throw it away or make damm sure that the pass you throw is for first down yardage. A stoppage of the clock or a first down there would've avoided that end of game snafu.

Too many mistakes overall in the 2nd half - dropped passes, bad throws, bad penalties, turnovers. And that personal foul on Dykes was total BS.

My thoughts exactly. Up to that point our D had held them to 0 points. Why not take a chance at a midfield 4th and short to try and keep the drive alive and shut the door ISU for good? Who knew our D was going to completely fall apart after that. Hind sight is 20:20.

My thoughts exactly. Up to that point our D had held them to 0 points. Why not take a chance at a midfield 4th and short to try and keep the drive alive and shut the door ISU for good? Who knew our D was going to completely fall apart after that. Hind sight is 20:20.

On the other hand, up to that point our D had held them to 0 points. Why take a chance at midfield 4th and short, when you already had a 21 point lead and they had shown very little ability to drive the length of the field? Why not punt the ball and let your defense and a long field force them to burn up clock trying to do what they had not been able to do all day, rather than risk inspiring them with a big defensive stand and good field position?

To me, this is something Hawk has not ever been able to grasp. Football is a game that requires different strategies in different circumstances. Taking a chance and stepping out on faith is not always the best strategy.

On the other hand, up to that point our D had held them to 0 points. Why take a chance at midfield 4th and short, when you already had a 21 point lead and they had shown very little ability to drive the length of the field? Why not punt the ball and let your defense and a long field force them to burn up clock trying to do what they had not been able to do all day, rather than risk inspiring them with a big defensive stand and good field position?

To me, this is something Hawk has not ever been able to grasp. Football is a game that requires different strategies in different circumstances. Taking a chance and stepping out on faith is not always the best strategy.

I agree completely that football requires different strategies for different situations. I also agree that Hawk needs to get a better feel for this, but this time and this particular situation I happen to agree with Hawk. JMHO.

Let me preface by saying I'm way pro-Hawk, but he has some things to learn about the 4th down calls. It's a simple matter of probability/percentages. Even gamblers (at least the good ones) understand this. In football, there's really not that many possible outcomes that make this a complicated computation. There are times to go for it, and there are times where you just simply cannot make that call. Even if you convert, what is the reward? Hawk does not seem to understand that a chain of events still have to occur after the conversion for there to be any reward. If these chain of events don't occur, the conversion is meaningless. These decisions are hurting the team, and I hope someone gets to him to make him understand this.

With that said, the good that Hawk has done for this program far outweighs a few irresponsible calls.

Agreed. I know Hawk likes to gamble, but he needs to reign it back in a little.

Hawk is to 4th downs
as
Skippy was to 12 men on the field.

They both drive me nuts.

Sure, the 4th down call might not look so good in hindsight, but as has also been pointed out, our D let us down in the 2nd half and the offense didn't get a 2nd-half first down until the 4th quarter. Way too much emphasis is being put on this failed 4th-down conversion.

It's hard for me to slam the defense when they were on the field for the majority of the second half. Minus their 2 all big 12 players. Wheately and Walters. And didn't Dizon get another concussion?

It's hard for me to slam the defense when they were on the field for the majority of the second half. Minus their 2 all big 12 players. Wheately and Walters. And didn't Dizon get another concussion?

Yep. The offense needed to help the defense out with at least a few first downs in that third quarter and they couldn't even do that. Sometimes just getting one first down can end up being big.

I think calling for coaches to be fired is a little overboard. Let's not go crazy here. I like what Hawk and the staff is doing, I like what the young players are doing and I can deal with inconsistency.

What I can't work with is when football laws are broken. There are certain things you don't do... QB's aren't supposed to throw off their back foot. HB's are not supposed to carry the ball like a loaf of bread... WR's need to look the ball in, then run. PR's don't catch the ball inside the ten... when a team has a commanding lead, YOU DON'T GO FOR IT ON YOUR OWN 43 yd line! Basically a 10yd play puts them in field goal range. Anything longer gets them a TD. It took 3 plays to bring the Cyclones back and that stupid ass 4th down call killed us... as it has numerous times this year. K-State MULTIPLE TIMES!

I respect Hawk as a coach but he is careless with the football... almost like he is coaching the games like this is Madden or something.

A bowl season and a winning record would have been the perfect step for this program in year 2. Say what you want about the refs and everything but this easily could have been avoided earlier in the game. Now dominant Nebraska win puts this season and a bowl very much in doubt.

I think calling for coaches to be fired is a little overboard. Let's not go crazy here. I like what Hawk and the staff is doing, I like what the young players are doing and I can deal with inconsistency.

What I can't work with is when football laws are broken. There are certain things you don't do... QB's aren't supposed to throw off their back foot. HB's are not supposed to carry the ball like a loaf of bread... WR's need to look the ball in, then run. PR's don't catch the ball inside the ten... when a team has a commanding lead, YOU DON'T GO FOR IT ON YOUR OWN 43 yd line! Basically a 10yd play puts them in field goal range. Anything longer gets them a TD. It took 3 plays to bring the Cyclones back and that stupid ass 4th down call killed us... as it has numerous times this year. K-State MULTIPLE TIMES!

I respect Hawk as a coach but he is careless with the football... almost like he is coaching the games like this is Madden or something.

A bowl season and a winning record would have been the perfect step for this program in year 2. Say what you want about the refs and everything but this easily could have been avoided earlier in the game. Now dominant Nebraska win puts this season and a bowl very much in doubt.

Postive reps are garbage, but that was :thumbsup:

choke on that popcorn you ****

As it turns out, you got in that cab just in the nick of time.

Things got seriously strange and ****ty after that... :sad2:

Hope you had a good flight to wherever it was you were headed...

Good coaches don't let teams come back from 21-0 scores. Absolutely unacceptable.
quick poll: Who is goldenbuff12?

1. Gary Barnett, his wife or daugther?
2. Some spurned athlete that Hawkins cut?
3. Some Sooner, Fusker or KSU zealot?
4. Some overreactive Buff fan that should stay away from sharp objects?

Iowa State also BEAT Kansas State. They BEAT Iowa. They were a play or two away from beating Oklahoma. They were 3 plays away from beating Missouri.

Your notions of the quality of this ISU team are ridiculous. They're hot right now, we played a horrible second half, and we still should have beaten them in their own house (on senior day, no less). I'm not upset about the performance the buffs turned in this saturday, but I'm furious at the performance the refs turned in. Absolutely unacceptable. They should be banned for life for that nonsense.

:yeahthat:

This whole vibe is really starting to piss me off! The performance, the posters here, the whole deal. I'm going to go mix a BV & Coke and watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse with my 3 year old. In the immortal words of Eric Cartman, "SCREW YOU GUYS, I'M GOIN' HOME!!!"

greeley -cheyenne-torrington-lusk-newcastle-lead-sturgis, I miss my Grandma. I miss that drive that I hated as a kid.

greeley -cheyenne-torrington-lusk-newcastle-lead-sturgis, I miss my Grandma. I miss that drive that I hated as a kid.

A Grandma in Sturgis! How cool is that. I hope the whole family rode Harleys!:cool:

Ah, Torrington. What a great place to grow up! I can see the horizon, hear the wind and breath the dry thin air. Thanks for the memory. No matter how far I get, it will always be home.

There were some definite WTF moments when he called those.

If you remember, the player called those, NOT Barnett. :pissed:

What pissed me off the most is that Barney blamed it on the player, his excuse being that the player didn't correctly read the defense.

I never bought that. Either (1) Barney was responsible for the call being too confusing for a college player to execute; and if not (1) then (2) Barney was ultimately responsible for shifting decision making responsibility to an idiot.

This was the specific moment in time where I started to sour on Barnett, when I first noticed his tendency to place blame on the players instead of accepting responsibility himself.

Back