What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

This Season Rests On Dom's Shoulders

I support what Goose has said with stats, but you also have to be a little careful. For example, Dom was out there when we took an early lead vs. CSU, but he wasn't playing well early. Yaz came in and at the same time, so did some other subs. It wasn't gel-city but I wasn't really thinking it was a Yaz issue.

Still, Dom in the 2nd half was a different ballgame.

Dom had 5 points, 2 assists, and 2 rebounds in the first four minutes of the game.

Yaz has shown that he can be a competent backup. The team continues to run with him out there and as he adjust to the American college game he will get more comfortable and more effective.

I have no doubts about him on offense. He is intelligent enough and skilled enough that he can play within himself, compliment his teammates, and contribute to the team being effective.

Where my question comes in is how does he do when forced to defend some of the better guards in the PAC. He has faced some good guards so far but also a number of guys who simply aren't at a level that let them play in a major conference. How does he do when faced with some of the point guards who have blazing quickness and/or better size and strength along with the skills to take advantage of that athletic edge.

Dom has shown flashes of a guy who can create things on the offensive end, who has some star in him. What we don't talk about is that if he can stay out of foul trouble he is also quick enough to stay with the top guys and even to recover when he does get beat. He isn't where he needs to be as a defender yet but he has the raw ability to be a guy who can disrupt opposing PGs...

I support what Goose has said with stats, but you also have to be a little careful. For example, Dom was out there when we took an early lead vs. CSU, but he wasn't playing well early. Yaz came in and at the same time, so did some other subs. It wasn't gel-city but I wasn't really thinking it was a Yaz issue.

Still, Dom in the 2nd half was a different ballgame.
It was more of an issue with xt, but it was also on yaz

And Miller.....

Miller doesn't play point guard, but I see your point that it was a combination of the substitutions that led to letting CSU run up 52 on us in the first half. I still need to put most of that on the guards since CSU went 7/10 from 3 and also got 7 easy layups because of bad perimeter defense.

Miller doesn't play point guard.
Either does Talton with Yaz in there.

The discussion was about his stats with Dom in and not in compared to Yaz. You can't compare Doms time with 4 starters production to Yaz when he's playing with subs. Not straight across.

The discussion was about his stats with Dom in and not in compared to Yaz. You can't compare Doms time with 4 starters production to Yaz when he's playing with subs. Not straight across.
See my edit. Our first half deficit was less about offense than defense anyway.

If we can't compare stats of Dom and Yaz and/or Talton unless we take into account who is on the court with them, then we should just not compare their stats at all. They were only brought up because some silly people are calling for Yaz to start based on him having a good game against UNC Greeley.

Lol

Hey Slider. I'm the guy who said I agreed with Goose' post above that show the stats strongly support Dom is NOT surpassed by Yaz. Just note that Yaz's time is often accompanied by less of a cast. I am not trying to make a point here that Yaz is outplaying Dom (although he may have in a few early games). Dom was strong vs CSU.

I'm still interested in why you thought Dom didn't play well early against CSU?
I hoped to go back and re-watch the game's opening minutes but it didn't record on my DVR. That was my feeling watching it live. Assuming your stats are accurate below, they would suggest he played those minutes better than I remember, but stats don't always tell the story. Sorry - you're not going to get black and white on your point here.

The quick fouls were more than frustrating.
I felt Dom was way more aggressive in the 2nd half offensively. It was a huge difference maker in the game.

You're acting like I'm attacking Dom. REREAD my post above in response to Goose.

Dom keeps riding a driving guards hip and picking up foul(s) early, hope he can adjust before P12 play.

On Dom's defense: who's he guarding in practice? Being able to stay in front of Akyazili and Stalzer doesn't really translate to guarding a starting point guard in the Pac (or the MWC). Hopefully Tad's making him try to keep King and Fortune from driving.

On Dom's defense: who's he guarding in practice? Being able to stay in front of Akyazili and Stalzer doesn't really translate to guarding a starting point guard in the Pac (or the MWC). Hopefully Tad's making him try to keep King and Fortune from driving.

Most likely its Whte from UCCS that he's matched up with - at least i'd hope so given whites slashing style and speed top the rim.

Most likely its Whte from UCCS that he's matched up with - at least i'd hope so given whites slashing style and speed top the rim.

White seems like a completely different player than Clavell and Gillon, those two were really quick but smaller.
Ski had issues staying in front of them last year as well.

Yaz is not like XT or Tomlinson & he's not as good as Dom. Yaz is a drive & kick/shoot combo guard. He's more similar to Ski stylistically than anyone--a ball penetrator with the confidence of the 1,000 suns who sometimes sets up teammates & is streaky but not that great from 3. Tomlinson was a true PG & really efficient from 3. XT is awful at everything except for shooting occasionally. If you think Yaz is like XT bc of some similarities in KenPom #'s after 9 games then you should spend less time on KenPom & I'm on KenPom 4-5 times a week.

Saying Yaz is close to his ceiling 9 games into his career is supreme BS. Also, saying that this season rests on Dom's shoulders is looking like BS. This team is far too deep to rest on anyone's shoulders except for arguably Josh Scott.

First off, thanks to Darth and Goose for stopping this Yaz and Nate nonsense. I liked Nate, but never quite understood the massive love for the guy. He wore Black and Gold though, and did us proud. However, comparing Yaz to Nate is like when people were comparing Spruce to McKnight...certain aspects if you're selectively looking for them, but just like Spruce is better than McKnight, I think Yaz is solidly better than Nate.

I want to respond to your post though, because of the Talton hate. XT is not great, but I apparently I think a LOT more of him than many posters do. Go ahead and hate on me. He has decent handles, and can shoot. If we had a better team, specifically on the wings, I think XT starting would be fine...not optimal, and definitely don't want people misinterpreting this as I like XT over Dom, but we'd be fine if he was in and we had great wing play imo. I just don't quite get all of the XT hate - sure, he's not stellar, but he's not horrible at everything...

I also don't think Yaz and Ski were similar players at all, unless again, you're selectively choosing colors and ignoring the complete picture. I haven't seen as many games as others on the boards it seems, perhaps not as much as you either, but definitely different players...and I for one hope Yaz stays that way. Love Ski all you want, but Yaz doesn't have the quickness or flair to even try to be Ski, and imo, that type of play really was detrimental to the team last year.

I want to respond to your post though, because of the Talton hate. XT is not great, but I apparently I think a LOT more of him than many posters do. Go ahead and hate on me. He has decent handles, and can shoot. If we had a better team, specifically on the wings, I think XT starting would be fine...not optimal, and definitely don't want people misinterpreting this as I like XT over Dom, but we'd be fine if he was in and we had great wing play imo. I just don't quite get all of the XT hate - sure, he's not stellar, but he's not horrible at everything...

I also don't think Yaz and Ski were similar players at all, unless again, you're selectively choosing colors and ignoring the complete picture. I haven't seen as many games as others on the boards it seems, perhaps not as much as you either, but definitely different players...and I for one hope Yaz stays that way. Love Ski all you want, but Yaz doesn't have the quickness or flair to even try to be Ski, and imo, that type of play really was detrimental to the team last year.
I am a noted Nate hater (nuanced, my hate is, but I'm not explaining that here other than to say it was his mercurial use of his abilities), but Yaz has a long, LONG way to go before he can be compared favorably to Nate.

Talton was nearly the sole reason CSU went up by 13 at half. He was terrible. He can't guard (or won't, at this point). He shouldn't be terrible at anything... but he basically has been at everything but spot up shooting. One could make a very credible argument CSU's lead at half was due almost solely to XT.

As for the ski thing. You just gotta lol at that one.

for whatever it's worth, which probably really isn't a whole lot, but I met Dom's cousin at a bar. Him and I got to talking about CU bball a little. I understand that Josh is going to be a focal point on offense this season, as he should be, but his cousin and I agreed that the key to Dom's game is getting comfortable with his offensive game. He has never really been a pass first point guard, even if he was capable of it. Without having interviewed Dom, and his cousin was NOT quoting Dom at all, but him trying to set things up and pass first is a struggle.

I remember reading an article about Smooth and how Larry Brown really got into him. He would yell at him during practice that he was a scoring point guard, and when that really started to click, Chauncey felt his game clicking with his teammates more. He wasn't afraid to look for his shot or take them, and this helped as defenders starting respecting him more. He just got more comfortable in his game and that helped the offense overall.

Chauncey was a better scorer than Dom, but I do think there is a similarity in Dom needing to get more comfortable with his own offense out there first. That may help him ease up mentally to make normal plays/passes, and as defenders help toward him more, set up easy shots when his goes away. Just personal opinion (and NO, I did not watch the CSU game, which I heard he played well...maybe all I'm writing was already displayed...), but looking forward to seeing Dom progress. He can be special imo.

I am a noted Nate hater (nuanced, my hate is, but I'm not explaining that here other than to say it was his mercurial use of his abilities), but Yaz has a long, LONG way to go before he can be compared favorably to Nate.

Talton was nearly the sole reason CSU went up by 13 at half. He was terrible. He can't guard (or won't, at this point). He shouldn't be terrible at anything... but he basically has been at everything but spot up shooting. One could make a very credible argument CSU's lead at half was due almost solely to XT.

As for the ski thing. You just gotta lol at that one.

Well didn't watch the CSU game, so without having seen it, still have my opinion on XT as is.

As for the Nate/Yaz comparisons... ...guess we'll have to disagree, but from what I've seen, I think Yaz is clearly a superior player than Nate.

And go ahead, laugh all you want...understand that people on these boards had a crush on Ski, but I definitely disagreed with people's assessments.

Well didn't watch the CSU game, so without having seen it, still have my opinion on XT as is.

As for the Nate/Yaz comparisons... ...guess we'll have to disagree, but from what I've seen, I think Yaz is clearly a superior player than Nate.

And go ahead, laugh all you want...understand that people on these boards had a crush on Ski, but I definitely disagreed with people's assessments.
not laughing at you, btw. Just laughing that anyone would think they were similar.

and as for Dom... yea, he was aggressive early in the CSU game.

First off, thanks to Darth and Goose for stopping this Yaz and Nate nonsense. I liked Nate, but never quite understood the massive love for the guy. He wore Black and Gold though, and did us proud. However, comparing Yaz to Nate is like when people were comparing Spruce to McKnight...certain aspects if you're selectively looking for them, but just like Spruce is better than McKnight, I think Yaz is solidly better than Nate.

Talton does not have good handles. At least not for a P12 point guard. He is a liability on D and would be a huge liability as a starting PG. He is fine as a spot up shooter and he filled this void nicely his sophomore year. Unfortunately for him, this is not a need any longer and he doesn't really fill a need on this team.

I like XT. He has essentially done what was expected of him for his career and possibly even exceeded expectations.

Let's not make hime something he's not, though. If we have to rely on him for significant PG minutes, we are in very big trouble.

Have to agree that they are two very different players, different styles, different backgrounds, even different bodytypes and physical skillsets. About the only really solid comparison is that they both play point and are both from overseas and had/have to adjust their games to the American college game.

I got frustrated by Nate sometimes but he played solid minutes with a solid contribution over four years as a Buffs
upload_2015-12-8_12-59-21.png

Let's give it at least a good portion of a season before we start talking about Yaz being better. I'm glad we have him and believe he will be a strong contributor to the program but the comparisons are forced at this point.

Talton does not have good handles. At least not for a P12 point guard. He is a liability on D and would be a huge liability as a starting PG. He is fine as a spot up shooter and he filled this void nicely his sophomore year. Unfortunately for him, this is not a need any longer and he doesn't really fill a need on this team.

I like XT. He has essentially done what was expected of him for his career and possibly even exceeded expectations.

Let's not make hime something he's not, though. If we have to rely on him for significant PG minutes, we are in very big trouble.

Andrew Murawa in his CU preview:

Xavier Talton, who just wasn’t very good, especially on the offensive end. His 83.4 KenPom offensive efficiency rating had to be pretty close to the lowest for a player on a power conference team who earned better than 50 percent of his team’s minutes.

Last 3 games

Dom: 23 pts, 0 assists, 7 to's.
Akyazili: 9 pts, 11 assists, 1 to.

Dom's points and turnovers aren't bad, but 0 assists really worries me.

Dom has struggled, but it's not like Yaz is playing better than him yet. Dom has the higher assist rate, better rebounding numbers, better shooting numbers and in something that surprised the hell out of me, is called for less fouls per 40 minutes.

I love Yaz, he's been a huge revelation this year, but it's becoming obvious that the backup PG in college hoops is the same as the backup QB.

Dom has struggled, but it's not like Yaz is playing better than him yet. Dom has the higher assist rate, better rebounding numbers, better shooting numbers and in something that surprised the hell out of me, is called for less fouls per 40 minutes.

I love Yaz, he's been a huge revelation this year, but it's becoming obvious that the backup PG in college hoops is the same as the backup QB.

I think whats happened is that Yaz, when he does dish out an assist, drops an absolute dime. Highlight reel stuff. Dom is much more subtle in his game.

I think whats happened is that Yaz, when he does dish out an assist, drops an absolute dime. Highlight reel stuff. Dom is much more subtle in his game.

Seriously, we're seeing some growing pains from both right now, but in two years we're going to have a SCARY PG duo - and Peters may be good enough to bump one down a notch in the rotation.

Seriously, we're seeing some growing pains from both right now, but in two years we're going to have a SCARY PG duo - and Peters may be good enough to bump one down a notch in the rotation.

Ya. Peters is getting me seriously excited. The attitude that he has, has been seriously lacking.

Dom was gawd awful last night. As was Fortune. I'm not sure if they were nervous or what. But the turnovers almost killed us.

Back