What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Time to reboot this forum, I suppose

I swear, if we lose close on Saturday and I have to listen to a bunch of moral victory bullsh!t about improving and being competitive because we covered vs a G5 team, I'm going to be more pissed off than if we get blown out.
Winning a game which we should have clearly lost might even be worse. You know those wins were the other team out gains you by 2 yards/play but turns the ball over four times on some weird bounces. Not unlike the WA games last year. I like to see wins as much as the next guy, but that might just be worse for the program long term.

I swear, if we lose close on Saturday and I have to listen to a bunch of moral victory bullsh!t about improving and being competitive because we covered vs a G5 team, I'm going to be more pissed off than if we get blown out.
If we win, it better be convincingly. Like you, I don't want to hear a bunch of bull****.

My emphatic prediction is that you will not become more pissed off. Not about this anyway.

I hate to break it to anyone who is hoping for Briles, but I highly doubt this university is letting anyone remotely related to the Baylor scandal become a prominent figure like the head coach.

Should CU be in the market for a new coach, it's about time to admit where the program is. Our way back to respectability will not be through hiring a hot, up-and-coming candidate. Nor will it be by hiring some supposed recruiting dynamo. You want 4+ years of improvement and "success"? Look for a Snyder or Lubick, an older P5 coordinator who's had success but isn't getting HC gigs for whatever reason. A guy who understands CU's circumstances and how to "win" here (I'm only talking about bowl eligibility) and won't be poached by the SEC and B10 teams who now outspend everyone else.

I mean, that's true, but MT also won 4 games that year against P5 teams.

If KD can beat Minnesota on the road next week and then go 3-6 in conference, I strongly suspect he gets another year regardless of what happens this Saturday.
Dorrell winning 4 games this year?

Attachments

• ms-gByVqX1.gif
    ms-gByVqX1.gif
    859.9 KB · Views: 3
Should CU be in the market for a new coach, it's about time to admit where the program is. Our way back to respectability will not be through hiring a hot, up-and-coming candidate. Nor will it be by hiring some supposed recruiting dynamo. You want 4+ years of improvement and "success"? Look for a Snyder or Lubick, an older P5 coordinator who's had success but isn't getting HC gigs for whatever reason. A guy who understands CU's circumstances and how to "win" here (I'm only talking about bowl eligibility) and won't be poached by the SEC and B10 teams who now outspend everyone else.
If Dorrell is fired and nothing else changes, then you're right. I think the hope, however, is that Saliman has designs on getting CU back to relevance and will work to make CU a more attractive destination for coaches by removing admission hurdles, connecting with donors himself, etc. If that is the case, then they should absolutely be going after the hot, up and comer and/or recruiting dynamo or even try to poach a highly respected, successful G5 HC. If that happens, there are no "circumstances" or ambiguous ways to win at CU. It will simply be a matter of, recruit good players, pay good assistants, coach your dick off and win games.

The word “hope” keeps getting used over and over again. We hope somebody will do something. That’s all we have any more. Hope.
I keep thinking that, logically, if it's your job to manage something that you'd spend more time and energy on the problems than outside observers such as us.

Whatever we decide, we can’t repeat the mistakes made with the KD hire. Figure out what kind of program we want to be and hire a coach that fits that mold. KD was a dramatic departure from what we all thought they wanted the program to be.

Meh. CU has way over prioritized fit for the last 3 decades. The best coach CU hired was Tucker and he wasn’t really a fit at all.

Just hire the best coach possible and all else will fall into place
While I agree that you just find the best coach you can, places like Texas prove this is not how the real world works.

Dana would probably win here, but he'd have a much larger hill to climb that we know already exists.

If “fit” is important, we are already ****ed. I couldn’t care less about fit. I don’t care if the guy is a raging MAGA jackass who goes big game hunting in Africa in his spare time. I don’t care if he’s a Birkenstock wearing vegan who drives a Prius. If he elevates the program and wins games, he’s fine by me.

If “fit” is important, we are already ****ed. I couldn’t care less about fit. I don’t care if the guy is a raging MAGA jackass who goes big game hunting in Africa in his spare time. I don’t care if he’s a Birkenstock wearing vegan who drives a Prius. If he elevates the program and wins games, he’s fine by me.

Reaction Ok GIF

If Dorrell is fired and nothing else changes, then you're right. I think the hope, however, is that Saliman has designs on getting CU back to relevance and will work to make CU a more attractive destination for coaches by removing admission hurdles, connecting with donors himself, etc. If that is the case, then they should absolutely be going after the hot, up and comer and/or recruiting dynamo or even try to poach a highly respected, successful G5 HC. If that happens, there are no "circumstances" or ambiguous ways to win at CU. It will simply be a matter of, recruit good players, pay good assistants, coach your dick off and win games.
Saliman is much more important to this whole process than anyone else, head coach, athletic director, Chancellor.

If he decides that CU is going to be back in the business of winning football games and he passes that word to the Chancellors office and the Athletic Directors office then we have a chance.

We need to fix admissions, need to have the budget to hire quality assistants and support them in recruiting, need to make some concessions regarding academics (no we don't have to do phony academics, just make some allowances that allow for guys to stay eligible, get degrees, and still focus on football. Simply we need stop putting ourselves at a disadvantage.

While I'd love the obvious guys like Gattis and Herman, check this dude out

https://godeacs.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/warren-ruggiero/926

The HC at Wake is an offense guy, so that's always iffy, but it sounds like Ruggiero runs the offense

He also has only put in one year at KSU and that's as west as he gets, but

• Wake Forest is the only football program in the ACC to average at least 30 points per game each year since 2017.
  • Since the start of the 2017 season, Wake Forest’s 142 touchdown passes are the most of any school in the ACC and tied for the seventh most among all Power 5 teams. Additionally during that span, the Deacs 271 total touchdown passes are the second-most in the ACC behind Clemson.
    • Wake Forest has a combined 12 games with 50 points or more over the last five seasons, ranking second in the ACC.
    • The scores have led Wake Forest to total 2,198 points over the past five seasons and average 35.5 ppg. Both those marks rank second in the ACC behind Clemson as well, respectively.

at ****ing Wake Forest? Sign me up asap

KD probably doesn't even know how to say thirty five points average

Last edited:
also when we need a DC get this dude

Kurt Mattix, DC, San Diego State: Over the past two seasons he’s been on the job, the Aztecs have fielded some elite defenses. Mattix was also named the Mountain West Wire’s Coordinator of the Year in 2021. His 3-3-5 scheme has dominated foes on the gridiron, especially against the run. The numbers don’t lie and San Diego State has had one of the best rush defenses in the FBS with Mattix patrolling the sidelines. Everyone knows the Aztecs won 12 games last year, because of their tenacious defense. San Diego State also ranked second in the league and 12th in the FBS in total yards allowed. Mattix is underrated, but deserves more recognition for his successful impact on the program thus far.

Here's my list since we're playing this game-

Pat Fitzgerald's gotta be the at the top. Is he likely to leave NW? No, but he has some ties here through Barnett and might have taken NW as far as he can. Likely says no, but maybe he's open to a new challenge. Worth a shot, and I think reaching out to a guy like him shows CU's done messing around in football.

Tom Herman-He can recruit. He's extremely forward thinking, so he'd fit in Boulder very well. Has more UT money coming, so maybe he'd take a backloaded deal. I dunno. Again, worth the call. He's doing TV right now. Another move that would say CU is back to being serious about football success.

Troy Calhoun-Its time to seriously consider making this move. This guy literally checks every box I can think of but one. Damn good football coach. Would bring a smart, disciplined brand of football here-regardless of whether or not he brings that offense up here. I don't think we've seen that for years in Boulder. He also ran circles around Mel Tucker three years ago when they played up here. He probably does really well recruiting Colorado because he's so highly thought of among the Denver media. Here's the question-How does he recruit out of state kids?

Ricky Rahne-Program builder. Colorado ties, but no CU ties. Likely recruits well in Colorado because he's from here. That ODU turnaround last year was impressive, and beating VT shows me that wasn't a fluke.

Blake Anderson-I'm a fan. Did a nice job at Arkansas State, but what's eye-opening is that turnaround last year at Utah State. 1-5 in 2020 to 11-3 and the MWC title in the portal era.

Here's my list since we're playing this game-

Pat Fitzgerald's gotta be the at the top. Is he likely to leave NW? No, but he has some ties here through Barnett and might have taken NW as far as he can. Likely says no, but maybe he's open to a new challenge. Worth a shot, and I think reaching out to a guy like him shows CU's done messing around in football.

Tom Herman-He can recruit. He's extremely forward thinking, so he'd fit in Boulder very well. Has more UT money coming, so maybe he'd take a backloaded deal. I dunno. Again, worth the call. He's doing TV right now. Another move that would say CU is back to being serious about football success.

Troy Calhoun-Its time to seriously consider making this move. This guy literally checks every box I can think of but one. Damn good football coach. Would bring a smart, disciplined brand of football here-regardless of whether or not he brings that offense up here. I don't think we've seen that for years in Boulder. He also ran circles around Mel Tucker three years ago when they played up here. He probably does really well recruiting Colorado because he's so highly thought of among the Denver media. Here's the question-How does he recruit out of state kids?

Ricky Rahne-Program builder. Colorado ties, but no CU ties. Likely recruits well in Colorado because he's from here. That ODU turnaround last year was impressive, and beating VT shows me that wasn't a fluke.

Blake Anderson-I'm a fan. Did a nice job at Arkansas State, but what's eye-opening is that turnaround last year at Utah State. 1-5 in 2020 to 11-3 and the MWC title in the portal era.
Troy Calhoun has a great thing going in the Springs, but he has never run or even been around a serious P5 recruiting operation which this program desperately needs. Pass.

Troy Calhoun has a great thing going in the Springs, but he has never run or even been around a serious P5 recruiting operation which this program desperately needs. Pass.
Said RG right before he hired Karl Dorrell.

That's working out really well, isn't it?

Back