What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Top 5 Wr's

It was a different game and before my time, but what about Cliff Branch? He played in the NFL over a decade I think.
Branch in today's game would be scary to say the least.

He played in an era when throwing the ball 30 times in a game was considered a lot.

In 1971 (CU finished #3 in the nation) the two QBs combined who got virtually all the playing time had a total of 75 completions on 189 attempts. Cliff had 13 of those catches but averaged over 25 yards per catch.

It was an era when DBs could mug a WR all over the field as long as the ball wasn't in the air. Teams knew they had no chance of keeping up with him so the norm was to try to knock him down at the LOS and if that failed to tackle him before he ever got the ball.

Even with that he was a strong guy for his size and was pretty effective getting off the line and into a pattern. In this era with contact limited he would destroy defenses. Yes DBs are now much faster and more athletic than they were but they still don't have Cliff Branch speed.

giphy.gif

Y’all got me to ignore this thread!

Back