What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Top remaining targets?

I think I agree. It's obviously not as important as it was before the portal, but still makes your life a lot easier if you recruit preps well. Hell, Georgia didn't even sign a prep QB because Kirby's planning to get his starter through the transfer portal every year. Can't do that every where every year though.

Also, it's probably cheaper than high value transfers. Or at least, will be soon.
I think QB is going to largely be a portal thing. LSU, ND, Oregon, Texas, SC, etc all playing with transfer QBs

I think QB is going to largely be a portal thing. LSU, ND, Oregon, Texas, SC, etc all playing with transfer QBs
Yep. How many of the 2023 starting QBs in the Pac-12 were originally recruited at their current program? I'm pretty sure it's gonna be less than half.

Also, I think the starter at 1/3 of FBS programs originally signed with either USC or Oklahoma. FACT.

“Joining the program prior to the 2021 season, the 26-year-old from Melbourne, Australia played in all 26 games, and departs the Cardinals as statistically one of the best punters in school history. His 43.2 yard average is a Louisville career record for players with at least 100 punts, breaking another Mason King record at 42.5 yards per punt.

He has two of the 10 longest punts in school history, kicking a 73-yard punt at Florida State in 2021 and booting a 68-yarder at Clemson in 2022. Of his 100 career punts, 52 of them either went over 50 yards or were pinned inside the 20-yard line.”

“Joining the program prior to the 2021 season, the 26-year-old from Melbourne, Australia played in all 26 games, and departs the Cardinals as statistically one of the best punters in school history. His 43.2 yard average is a Louisville career record for players with at least 100 punts, breaking another Mason King record at 42.5 yards per punt.

He has two of the 10 longest punts in school history, kicking a 73-yard punt at Florida State in 2021 and booting a 68-yarder at Clemson in 2022. Of his 100 career punts, 52 of them either went over 50 yards or were pinned inside the 20-yard line.”

He’s gonna have to tame that boot in Boulder!

If you see how Kent State used RBs, it was a lot of smaller, wannabe Warrick Dunn types. Scheme dictates how they move forward.
Does it matter that that was because it was primarily against MAC defenses?

With primarily MAC talent. Coaches don't change their systems much. When they get to higher levels, it's the talent that changes
Exactly.

Also, I don't think people realize that RB is the one position where average size is going down in college and NFL.

An average college starting RB is like 5'10" 200.

Oregon State, for example, is an outlier and has a system where they want those 6'2" 220 type backs but that's not what Lewis wants. We're much more likely to have a stable of backs at 5'10" or shorter and 200 lbs or lighter.

Deion Smith - 6'0" 200
Anthony Hankerson - 5'9" 190
Victor Venn - 5'10" 170
Dylan Edwards - 5'9" 165

The outlier, who was recruited as a FB, is Jayle Stacks at 5'11" 235.

Looking back, 2021 Jarek Broussard was 5'9" 185. 2017 Phillip Lindsay was 5'8" 190. We are used to this but a lot of CU fans haven't embraced it.

Deion Smith is what we should consider a bigger back. Or Fontenot, who played at 6'0" 205 this past year.

Hankerson is going to be our "big back" as he gets to 200-205 by the time he's an upperclassman.

Exactly.

Also, I don't think people realize that RB is the one position where average size is going down in college and NFL.

An average college starting RB is like 5'10" 200.

Oregon State, for example, is an outlier and has a system where they want those 6'2" 220 type backs but that's not what Lewis wants. We're much more likely to have a stable of backs at 5'10" or shorter and 200 lbs or lighter.

Deion Smith - 6'0" 200
Anthony Hankerson - 5'9" 190
Victor Venn - 5'10" 170
Dylan Edwards - 5'9" 165

The outlier, who was recruited as a FB, is Jayle Stacks at 5'11" 235.

Looking back, 2021 Jarek Broussard was 5'9" 185. 2017 Phillip Lindsay was 5'8" 190. We are used to this but a lot of CU fans haven't embraced it.

Deion Smith is what we should consider a bigger back. Or Fontenot, who played at 6'0" 205 this past year.

Hankerson is going to be our "big back" as he gets to 200-205 by the time he's an upperclassman.
I don't have to like it. Give me Okoye, or give me death!

My portal wishlist, in no particular order:

- DT or 2
- LB or 2
- OL
- TE
- RB

I'd love to see grad transfers so we'll have those scholarships open for the '24 class.

I'm cool with the rest being preps with maybe some JCs mixed in wheee we could benefit from backfilling some class balance.

On that note, there may also be position groups (WR comes to mind) where we may be under the desired number and class balance makes a JC or transfer the smarter play.
Really goes to show how devoid of P5 talent this roster was that Prime and Co. have gotten so many important pieces but we still have a good bit to go to get depth up to snuff.

Some names I'm watching from the 2023 HS class (unsigned):

TE: Walker Lyons, Nickoles Harbor, Duce Robinson (the TEs look like pipe dreams)
OT: Chimdy Onoh, Caden Jones, Joe Crocker (not much to connect, but we've got Nashville recruiters)
DT: Kyran Bourda, Samu Taumanupepe
LB: Leviticus Su'a
CB: Cormani McClain, Rodrick Pleasant
S: Warren Roberson, Cory Huff, Deldrick Madison, Jayven Anderson

Last edited:
Some names I'm watching from the 2023 HS class (unsigned):

TE: Walker Lyons, Nickoles Harbor, Duce Robinson (the TEs look like pipe dreams)
OT: Chimdy Onoh, Caden Jones, Joe Crocker (not much to connect, but we've got Nashville recruiters)
DT: Kyran Bourda, Samu Taumanupepe
LB: Leviticus Su'a
CB: Cormani McClain, Rodrick Pleasant
S: Warren Roberson, Cory Huff, Deldrick Madison, Jayven Anderson
We have the crooters who can help make some of these players a reality.

Last edited by a moderator:
More from my favorite twitter stalker follow:

please and thank you season 4 GIF

Im loving the fact that everyone wants to come play for Prime, but I really have no idea how we’re going to fit all these guys on an 85-man roster. We’re suddenly looking at backups that could be starters… The ride has been incredible!
Agree. But then sometimes there seems like some pretty random signees.

Coaches are back in town and meeting to stack their board and prepare for the upcoming weekend. Should see new things coming out as early as this evening.

And damn do we need some news. If I have to read more bull**** about kickers and house hunting, I may lose my mind.

Coaches are back in town and meeting to stack their board and prepare for the upcoming weekend. Should see new things coming out as early as this evening.

And damn do we need some news. If I have to read more bull**** about kickers and house hunting, I may lose my mind.
I dunno, I'm pretty invested in Coach Prime's introduction to snow and how he handles it.

Back