What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Two Point Conversion Was Stupid Coaching

It would have been interesting to see the impact if the two point try had been intercepted and run back untouched.

i probably kick the PAT for two reasons. even the 2 point conversion doesn't make it a 2 score game....and at 16-10, UH has to score a TD to win. 15-10, is a bad place. the first point is the key one (risk still doesn't give you a 2 score lead), imo.

but, hey.

Last edited:
Same thoughts as most of you. I was like aw **** when I saw they were going for it. Take the 6 pt lead and go from there. It turned out ok but I was a little surprised especially at that point in the game. I am not piling on today as it was a good win. But stupid decisions will show up again and it will not have a positive ending next time.

Sure we would bitch about it if it didnt work but it did. I dont have any problem with a staff that knows they are done pretty much taking a chance.

The defense's forth down goal line stand got the Warrior's attention. The 2 pt conversion broke their will.

It was CU's game after the successful conversion. It was the beginning of a killer instinct that persisted through Scotty's fortunate 21 yard TD tip and the end of the game.

It was novel and rare for CU to disrespect the opponent and get away with it.

CU had their way with Hawaii on 3rd down conversions, so the 2 pt conversion had a high probability of success.

I respect Kiesau and Hawkins for recognizing the opportunity and having the balls to call in the play. And kudos to Hansen and Richardson for execution. That was the point the Buffs left Hawaii in the dust.

The math might look stupid, but the psychology and execution is exactly what makes those throwback uniforms so badass.

The defense's forth down goal line stand got the Warrior's attention. The 2 pt conversion broke their will.

It was CU's game after the successful conversion. It was the beginning of a killer instinct that persisted through Scotty's fortunate 21 yard TD tip and the end of the game.

It was novel and rare for CU to disrespect the opponent and get away with it.

CU had their way with Hawaii on 3rd down conversions, so the 2 pt conversion had a high probability of success.

I respect Kiesau and Hawkins for recognizing the opportunity and having the balls to call in the play. And kudos to Hansen and Richardson for execution. That was the point the Buffs left Hawaii in the dust.

The math might look stupid, but the psychology and execution is exactly what makes those throwback uniforms so badass.

Psychology can work both ways. Whiff on the conversion, and then UH has the momentum. Why take that chance? It's ridiculously stupid. It's also totally expected from this coaching staff. They shouldn't be worrying about being up by 6 or 7 points. They should be worrying about stopping UH on their next possession (they didn't), and scoring again to run away with the game. Chasing points in the 3rd quarter is Jr High kind of stuff. It's playstation football. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. I have zero confidence in this staff. none.

One of the pros of going for it was that we were really moving the ball with ease on that drive. I didn't think they could stop us on a three yard play at that point. At the same time, I really believed, at that time, that Hawaii would surely score a TD on us. Getting the two point conversion would mean that a TD would only tie us. A failed attempt or a kick would mean, either way, that a TD would give them the lead.

Psychology can work both ways. Whiff on the conversion, and then UH has the momentum. Why take that chance? It's ridiculously stupid. It's also totally expected from this coaching staff. They shouldn't be worrying about being up by 6 or 7 points. They should be worrying about stopping UH on their next possession (they didn't), and scoring again to run away with the game. Chasing points in the 3rd quarter is Jr High kind of stuff. It's playstation football. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. I have zero confidence in this staff. none.

Meh. It worked. CU just played the best 30 minutes in two years. I'm a positive re-enforcement mood after the win.

There'll be plenty of opportunities to use a sharp tongue in the weeks ahead.

It was a good call - their D was gassed, we were rolling, you capitalize on those situations. I don't mind that the coaches were making calls as if we have nothing to lose - because we don't. Non-aggressiveness has killed us in losses. Everyone was coaching/playing for their jobs in the 2nd half, as it should have been.

How does Hawaii have the momentum? Even if it fails they just lost the lead and gave up 15 straight points. Did you see the reaction of their players when it was converted? They were crushed/angry. I'm not defending Hawk. I think he is a clueless douche, but I think this argument is silly and an attempt to keep negative vibes going.

Last edited:
How does Hawaii have the momentum? Even if it fails they just lost the lead and gave up 15 straight points. Did you see the reaction of their players when it was converted? They were crushed/angry. I'm not defending Hawk. I this he is a clueless douche, but I think this argument is silly and an attempt to keep negative vibes going.

Agreed. It's a hypothetical debate. As it turns out it worked, put the dagger in the bows and CU scored the W. Move on. Or at least wait until the next time the staff pulls a WTF!? (which will surely happen) that backfires. Some of you guys really need to relax.

We are going to need a whole knapsack full of gutsy plays and trickery to beat Georgia, so I'm glad they were willing to try something a tiny bit out of the ordinary against Hawaii.

If it give the guys a confidence boost, yeah, we needed it.

but I think this argument is silly and an attempt to keep negative vibes going.

Actually, there are quite a few of us who think that going for 2 prior to the 4th quarter is pretty much always stupid and hurts you more often than it helps. In this case it was just giving Hawaii another chance to stop the CU offense. If they had, it dulls the momentum the offense had just generated and possibly gives it to Hawaii if it fails, not to mention leaving CU chasing that point the rest of the game if Hawaii comes back and gets in the end zone. The fact that it worked and Hawaii never really responded is good, but not pre-ordained.

Seriously, we're bitching about a 2pt conversion today?

And not even one we failed to convert, some people just need a chance to bitch. Next thing you'll know throwing it to Clemons for a TD will be an issue.

And not even one we failed to convert, some people just need a chance to bitch. Next thing you'll know throwing it to Clemons for a TD will be an issue.

Well you know, if he'd missed it, the team would have lost confidence, so maybe better not to try anything like that again. /sarcasm

CU is never going to beat ohio state in the bowl game if they dont take some chances. i would not mind seeing them go for two on thier first couple of TD's in the bowl game. even it is in the 1st. gotta strike while the iron is hot!

yes Hawk and Company lucked out and CU converted the two point conversion to go ahead 17-10 instead of 16-10 however IMHO going for it was stupid :nod:

Colorado had JUST GONE AHEAD IN THE 3RD QTR......

you should NEVER go for 2 when AHEAD or when it's any quarter other than the 4th and you ARE BEHIND-

Ignoring the rest of your post (which I completely disagree with), you score a TD to go up by 1 with a minute left in the game. Do you not go for 2 because you're ahead?

Yep, we're all pissed about 70 yard TDs, too. It's exactly the same thing.... :rolling_eyes:

Ignoring the rest of your post (which I completely disagree with), you score a TD to go up by 1 with a minute left in the game. Do you not go for 2 because you're ahead?

at that point of the game ...yes you go for it because it's THE 4TH QUARTER ----
you never go for 2 in any other quarter in football

I can't believe I have to explain this...

Look, there are limited ways to score in the game of football. Touchdowns w/extra point = 7 points. Two field goals = 6 points. You're better off being 6 points ahead than 5 points ahead. You go for two only when you need to. That's basic football. Going for two in the third quarter isn't aggressive or innovative or anything else. It's just plain stupid. So it worked this time. Great. Yay. Do I need to remind everybody of the game we lost to NU a few years ago by 9 points after failing on TWO two point conversions? That turned a one score game into a two score game. It's insanity. Pure stupidity. And I can't for the life of me understand how anybody could possibly defend such lunacy.

I can't believe I have to explain this...

Look, there are limited ways to score in the game of football. Touchdowns w/extra point = 7 points. Two field goals = 6 points. You're better off being 6 points ahead than 5 points ahead. You go for two only when you need to. That's basic football. Going for two in the third quarter isn't aggressive or innovative or anything else. It's just plain stupid. So it worked this time. Great. Yay. Do I need to remind everybody of the game we lost to NU a few years ago by 9 points after failing on TWO two point conversions? That turned a one score game into a two score game. It's insanity. Pure stupidity. And I can't for the life of me understand how anybody could possibly defend such lunacy.

End of argument. This thread is about 55 posts to long.

Considering we have one of the best offenses in the nation, I don't mind the decision to go for 2.

I said at the time we went for it that I hated the call. Why risk a momentum shift when you're dominating? We got the conversion, so it worked out well for us, but it wasn't the correct decision.

I said at the time we went for it that I hated the call. Why risk a momentum shift when you're dominating? We got the conversion, so it worked out well for us, but it wasn't the correct decision.

that sir was worth some REP

Back