What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

UCF going all in on national champions claim, planning parade to celebrate

If the playoffs determined the actual "NCAA FBS champion" and not the "CFP, LLC Champion", I think the criticism of UCF's move would be warranted, but until the governing body of the sport recognizes a champ, its fair game for anyone to claim.

Claim it all you want, make a tin foil trophy. The actual trophy gets handed out next monday.

You'd think this was ramnation today.....

Here we go speculating again. G5 or P5 doesn't matter. You go out and beat every team you play on your schedule. Who knows, they could roll alabama, georgia, oklahoma?? We will never know, because they will not play.

Ahem, with all due respect, what was their regular season win that puts them in the conversation of being a CFP team? Austin Peay? Memphis? Give me a break. The American Athletic Supporter Conference really isn't on par with the P5.

austin peay was a hurricane make-up game, like when CU played Charleston Southern. they were supposed to play Georgia tech during the weekend of hurricane Irma. Tech and UCF didnt have available makeup dates that match.

austin peay was a hurricane make-up game, like when CU played Charleston Southern. they were supposed to play Georgia tech during the weekend of hurricane Irma. Tech and UCF didnt have available makeup dates that match.
Sounds like UCF's beef is with mother nature....

In all seriousness, I watched the Peach Bowl. That is a damn good team. Clearly the best G5, which makes them better than the majority of the P5. Better than all but three of the P5? Not a chance. I seriously doubt they would have run the table in any of the P5 conferences.

The world is all about handing out awards and titles before they have been earned. Words don’t really mean anything anymore.

Claim it all you want, make a tin foil trophy. The actual trophy gets handed out next monday.

You'd think this was ramnation today.....
C'mon, this is fun because some people believe it. You have no dog in this fight, so just sit back and enjoy it.

GTFO...what the **** is this nonsense? This is embarrassing, I’m sorry...just posting on Twitter you’re national champions is beyond pathetic, you can’t just give yourself a title lol.

Make no mistake though, this is all a ploy. That AD knows he looks like an idiot and this isn’t about being named “national champions.” This is about either A) moving to 8 teams or B) making a case to be picked up by a P5 conference.

UCF had a great season and they looked good against Auburn. But they absolutely were not deserving of playing for a championship. I didn’t think Alabama was deserving because I ****ing hate Alabama and they broke their own rules to take them. But I always knew they were probably the best, they always are.

I say we play UCF/NC winner in 2 weeks. Raise your hand if you think UCF beats either team. Me either. They wouldn’t beat Oklahoma, Clemson or probably OSU either.

feel free to blather on an on about how they wouldnt beat so-and-so. They beat the so-and-so that beat the so-and-sos. Not because they dodged Alabama and Georgia, but because the self-important yay-hoos of the CFP are deathly afraid of giving an undefeated G-5 school a fair shot. Understand, these bastards will screw over an undefeated CU team if they can squeeze in a one loss Bama or Ohio State. My last statement is as fact based on yours about UCF beating the Dawgs or Tide.

I think a lot of people are missing the point of what I think they're truly trying to do with all of this, and that's to bring a lot of media attention to it to help force discussion about expanding the playoffs and keeping other G5 teams from being pushed out in the future. If they stay quiet, this would be a lot of fluff "what a great story" pieces about their season for a few days and then forgotten. Doing this keeps them in the media, and makes people discuss like we are right now on a team's board from the other side of the country.

feel free to blather on an on about how they wouldnt beat so-and-so. They beat the so-and-so that beat the so-and-sos. Not because they dodged Alabama and Georgia, but because the self-important yay-hoos of the CFP are deathly afraid of giving an undefeated G-5 school a fair shot. Understand, these bastards will screw over an undefeated CU team if they can squeeze in a one loss Bama or Ohio State. My last statement is as fact based on yours about UCF beating the Dawgs or Tide.

I guess where I'm at is that if UCF couldn't make the playoff in 2017 then college football needs to stop pretending that G5 and P5 are within the same NCAA designation. Clearly, the playoff is for the P5 conferences only.

I doubt that UCF would have been there if it had played an 8 or 9 game P5 conference schedule plus another 1 or 2 P5 opponents in the non-conference. With that, even the bad teams on the schedule out-recruited the best teams in the AAC. They're not as good on the field as those top AAC teams due to organizational & culture issues, but the talent makes them a threat to beat you and also wears your team down. It's just harder to succeed to the point of winning a P5 conference.

However, for all I know, maybe this is the year they would have caught lightning in a bottle and done it. Could happen. Just like CU would have been playing for a playoff spot last year in the P12C game if injuries & special teams hadn't derailed the Michigan game... and 2016 CU wasn't any more talented than 2017 UCF.

I'd have liked to have seen UCF in the playoff instead of Alabama. It was the year to do it if the committee was ever going to do it.

Last edited:
I think this is just fine. And yes I think its a ploy to draw attention to a flawed system. The playoff needs to expand and the number of bowl games should be greatly reduced IMO. Really, G5 conferences should hold a G5 playoff if they continue to be blocked like this. Then hype it up and make claims that the winner of the G5 playoff will beat the P5 playoff teams. To be clear, I'm not saying that a G5 team is as deserving as a P5 team to be in the playoff system there is now, just that any undefeated team deserves some real considerations and an even shot at a title.

Can we please just get Alabama and UCF on a field? Then the winner can play the higher seeded Georgia.

I guess where I'm at is that if UCF couldn't make the playoff in 2017 then college football needs to stop pretending that G5 and P5 are within the same NCAA designation. Clearly, the playoff is for the P5 conferences only.

I doubt that UCF would have been there if it had played an 8 or 9 game P5 conference schedule plus another 1 or 2 P5 opponents in the non-conference. With that, even the bad teams on the schedule out-recruited the best teams in the AAC. They're not as good on the field as those top AAC teams due to organizational & culture issues, but the talent makes them a threat to beat you and also wears your team down. It's just harder to succeed to the point of winning a P5 conference.

However, for all I know, maybe this is the year they would have caught lightning in a bottle and done it. Could happen. Just like CU would have been playing for a playoff spot last year in the P12C game if injuries & special teams hadn't derailed the Michigan game... and 2016 CU wasn't any more talented than 2017 UCF.

I'd have liked to have seen UCF in the playoff instead of Alabama. It was the year to do it if the committee was ever going to do it.

This is just not possible to resolve and argue about because of the core schedule and the league they play in! If all 66 Power 5 teams were to play the exact same schedule that UCF played, there would likely have been at least 6-8 undefeated teams or maybe more. You cannot compare them, and you cannot even really allow the G5 teams a spot into the CFP because there is no way to balance the starting points. It would be like having a Canadian Football Team sliding into the NFL Playoffs. I like G5 football, and they are in a tough spot. I really think they should immediately create a G5 Playoff next year for 8 teams, as well as tightening up the actual G5 conferences into 7 or 8, so that it works slick. I have got to think that based on the locations for the playoffs, and a nice TV Package, they could make this work. Take 7 lower bowl games out of normal rotation and put them to work in the G5 Playoff.

I liked the UCF Story, until they did this, and now I look forward to Heupel taking the team into the ground. Good riddance.

Even with an 8-team playoff, UCF doesn't make it. They were only ranked #12 by the committee.

This is just not possible to resolve and argue about because of the core schedule and the league they play in! If all 66 Power 5 teams were to play the exact same schedule that UCF played, there would likely have been at least 6-8 undefeated teams or maybe more. You cannot compare them, and you cannot even really allow the G5 teams a spot into the CFP because there is no way to balance the starting points. It would be like having a Canadian Football Team sliding into the NFL Playoffs. I like G5 football, and they are in a tough spot. I really think they should immediately create a G5 Playoff next year for 8 teams, as well as tightening up the actual G5 conferences into 7 or 8, so that it works slick. I have got to think that based on the locations for the playoffs, and a nice TV Package, they could make this work. Take 7 lower bowl games out of normal rotation and put them to work in the G5 Playoff.

I liked the UCF Story, until they did this, and now I look forward to Heupel taking the team into the ground. Good riddance.

Give them a little credit. At least they didn't play a Pac12 schedule.

Back