What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

UT/OSU game is pissing me off

Found it:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/stewart_mandel/01/04/bcs.ratings/index.html

Whenever BCS officials defend their oft-criticized postseason system, they like to point to the "overall health of college football," as measured by increased attendance and TV ratings. They're talking, however, about the regular season.

In terms of the BCS itself, preliminary Nielsen ratings for the first three BCS bowls played this week show that viewer interest has never been lower....

I read last night that they are getting killed on ratings. I think the article was at si.com.. but I will have to look

The fact that the games start before I can get home from work (and I have a ridiculously short commute - I walk) is a bit off-putting. I'd imagine it's not much better for those in the Mountain Time Zone...

I wonder how the ratings are for these BCS games (other than the NC game and the Rose Bowl) compared to some of the other bowls. I have a hard time believing that the BCS games are getting better ratings on a weeknight than they would get on New Year's Day.

Yes and no ... the TV rights to 4 out of the 5 BCS games are owned by the same network and then I don´t know if it´d help the ratings if the BCS bowls had to go head-to-head with other games.

The fact that the games start before I can get home from work (and I have a ridiculously short commute - I walk) is a bit off-putting. I'd imagine it's not much better for those in the Mountain Time Zone...

You can´t have kickoff much later than 8pm because of the people on the East Coast. 8.30 could work, I guess, but anything later than that and the people on the East are screwed if they want to watch the full game and get a halfway decent bed time.

In fact, I actually think the NFL had 9pm Eastern kickoff times for Monday Night Football for a season or 2, but went back to 8.30pm.

You can´t have kickoff much later than 8pm because of the people on the East Coast. 8.30 could work, I guess, but anything later than that and the people on the East are screwed if they want to watch the full game and get a halfway decent bed time.

In fact, I actually think the NFL had 9pm Eastern kickoff times for Monday Night Football for a season or 2, but went back to 8.30pm.

8:30 is much more reasonable than 8:00.

Thanks, interesting stuff. A few points stood out to me in this article:

First, most of the poor ratings for BCS games have been in the last few years, after they added a 5th BCS bowl game. Imagine that.

Second, spreading out the BCS bowls over a week after New Year's Day has diminished interested, as we've discussed on this board. Jan. 1st used to be far and away the highlight of the bowl season, but now it's just another day with bowl games, with only 2 of the top tier bowls still played on this day.

Lastly, the selection process for the BCS bowls is a problem. And I'll expand on that by saying they need to revise which teams are eligible for a BCS bowl. These automatic bids are ridiculous. There's 10 BCS slots, so take the top 10 teams in the BCS rankings and match them up. If a conference doesn't have a team ranked that high then they don't get in, but still give them a 1-part share of the money to keep them happy, since they're part of the BCS agreement anyway. And of course along with this, they need to get rid of the nonsensical rule that only allows 2 teams from any given conference to go to a BCS bowl.

I think that's always a tough one when it comes to weeknight scheduling. See, being in the Eastern time zone, and 8:30 start is too late for me to watch the whole game, but everybody's different. I always thought a 6:30-7pm start time was ideal for a weeknight start if you wanted to catch an entire game.

I always recall MNF starting at 9 eastern up until about 5 years ago, when they moved it to 8:30.

I think that's always a tough one when it comes to weeknight scheduling. See, being in the Eastern time zone, and 8:30 start is too late for me to watch the whole game, but everybody's different. I always thought a 6:30-7pm start time was ideal for a weeknight start if you wanted to catch an entire game.

8:30 may be too late for you to chose to watch the game, but when it starts at 5:00, us west coasters (and many Mountain Timezonites) don't even have a choice.

In the 70s and 80s MNF started at 9pm eastern. I was there when the Phins gave the Bears their only loss in 84? It was sweet. :lol:

8:30 may be too late for you to chose to watch the game, but when it starts at 5:00, us west coasters (and many Mountain Timezonites) don't even have a choice.

All I meant was I don't know what the best answer is for weeknight games. You could make it ideal for East Coast and totally screw the West Coast, or vice versa. Right now it's basically a compromise, where many people in the East probably miss the ends of games, where as on the West Coast you miss the early part of the game. :huh:

I guess we could always go with Mike Greenberg's ridiculous idea of one time zone for the entire country. :lol:

I like how McCoy said he didn't think anybody could beat Texas right now. WTF, you just almost lost to a team that is known for choking in BCS bowls. I bet Florida would beat Texas, and Oklahoma would right now.I wasn't that impressed with Texas last night other than the third qtr and their winning drive. Great team? yes! Best? NO!

Southern Cal is sitting in LA lamenting what might have been. USC is the best team in the country, but they always seem to lose a game they have no business losing. Oregon State, twice in three years... Stanford... UCLA... I'm sure they'll do the same thing next year, too. :huh:

Southern Cal is sitting in LA lamenting what might have been. USC is the best team in the country, but they always seem to lose a game they have no business losing. Oregon State, twice in three years... Stanford... UCLA... I'm sure they'll do the same thing next year, too. :huh:

It´s pretty much been like this for the last 3 years now.

Only conclusion- CARROLL OUT!

It should have been USC vs UT in the Rose Bowl. ****ing Big10/Pac10 tradition. I hate the Rose Bowl.

USC has the best D in the country and if not for horrible TOs by their offense they would be in the championship game every year. I still don't think Sanchez could beat the UF D, but I think it'd be a damn good game.

Back