What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

WBB off season news

Assistant coach has been named.

Tim Hays Joins Women's Basketball Staff​

BOULDER—Head coach JR Payne added to her bench for the 2022-23 season, announcing the hire of assistant coach Tim Hays on Friday.

Hays, formerly the head coach at Southeastern University, will take the lead with the Buffaloes' points guards.

"We are extremely excited to hire Tim as our newest assistant coach," Payne expressed. "He comes to CU with an incredible amount of success both on the recruiting trail and on the court. Tim has a proven track record of player development and has won at every level of the game. He embodies everything that is great about coaching in that he is highly driven and competitive, but also values relationships and the development of the whole student-athlete above all else. I know that Tim will have a huge impact on our student-athletes and their future success."

Hays leaves SEU as the winningest coach in program history (176-13) and with a perfect 106-0 conference record. He spent the last six seasons at SEU, leading the Fire to the Sun Conference regular-season championship each season and winning five Sun Conference Tournaments. His teams twice advanced to the national semifinal and played for the 2019 NAIA national championship.

SEU boasted nine All-Americans under Hays' tutelage. When Hays took over the bench at the start of the 2016-17 season, the Fire had never been ranked in the top 15 in the nation and had never won a national tournament game. Under his guidance, SEU was ranked No. 1 in the nation in four of the six seasons and never finished ranked lower than No. 8.

Prior to SEU, Hays spent eight seasons as the head coach at Colorado Christian (143-50). Hays remains the program's all-time winningest coach, taking over a program that had never had a winning season and ended up leading the Cougars to two NCAA Tournaments and an RMAC and NCCAA National Championship. The 2014-15 team was inducted into the CCU Hall of Fame in 2021.

Before CCU, Hays spent three years coaching professionally in Australia, guiding the Launceston Tornadoes to a 30-16 record and earning ABA Coach of the Year honors in 2008.

Hays also spent time at Montana State as an assistant coach, serving as camp director, assisted the recruiting coordinator and assisting with offensive game planning.

As a player, Hays led the state of Oregon in scoring at La Grande High School and garnered USA Today All-America honors. Hays spent his two first seasons of college playing at Boise State, winning a Big West championship in 1999 before finishing out his collegiate career at Northwest Nazarene.

Hays is married to his wife Crista, a CU Medical School Alumnus, who also played at Boise State and professionally in Australia.

I know nothing about this guy but I wish we had the $$$ to pay a bigger name assistant coach.

I hope he can work with Jayden and Kindyl and make them better point guards.

I know nothing about this guy but I wish we had the $$$ to pay a bigger name assistant coach.

I hope he can work with Jayden and Kindyl and make them better point guards.
I hear you, but I only worry about the big name/ major program experience aspect when it comes to recruiting. Lots of great coaches/ teachers/ motivators at any level of the sport.

And on the recruiting, maybe we're going to be seeing a more international roster now with having both Canada and him bringing his Australia connections.

Frida Formann played for Denmark in the European 3 x 3 tournament today. It was held outdoors in Romania. Denmark lost in both rounds they played in, but Frida was the high scorer among all players that played today.

She said it's easier to shoot without the sun and wind in your eyes.

Thanks for posting. As to JR's comments, I get that she needs to project calm and optimism but with 3 scholarships still remaining, I'd definitely be adding at least one and maybe two more transfers. Half of last year's team is gone, notably Peanut, Mya, and Sila. A lotta minutes there. It would be great to keep some momentum going and not drift into kind of a "rebuild...we had lot of freshmen" mode. Hoping the transfer they did get works out.

This program is always one "Can't Miss Blue Chip Top 25" recruit away from elevating itself to a higher level. I know it's not for lack of trying, gotta keep grindin'.

Go Buffs !!

Scheduling news.

Artilcle - https://cubuffs.com/news/2022/8/2/womens-basketball-colorado-slated-for-preseason-wnit.aspx

"
FORT COLLINS, Colo.—The Colorado women's basketball team was announced as part of a four-team field that will make up the 28th Preseason WNIT on Tuesday.

The Buffaloes will be joined by Jackson State, Louisiana and Texas Tech. This year's event will be held from Nov. 12-20, with all teams playing a three-game round robin. CU's first tournament game will be on Nov. 12 when Jackson State visits the CU Events Center.

New NCAA scheduling protocols have taken the fourth game away from the historical 16-team format of the Preseason WNIT. An all-tournament team will be selected, but no event championship will be awarded.

Texas Tech will host all four teams in Lubbock from Nov. 15-16. The Buffs will take on Louisiana (Nov. 15) and Texas Tech (Nov. 16). CU last played Louisiana in the 2021 WNIT. Colorado and TTU haven't met since the Buffs joined the Pac-12 after the conclusion of the 2010-11 season.

Game times will be announced at a later date.
"

Texas Tech has been through several coaches since CU left the Big 12. In the last few seasons, they have not had a winning record. Time will tell if that means anything.

Seems to have been a much more competitive game than when they went to Italy 4 years ago. Hopefully thats because the Spanish teams are better and not that CU is out of sorts.

From the photos, the facility had a wall of windows. Coach T wore sunglasses. o_O

I hope it was air conditoned. It was around 100 degrees.

Another tight win.

Glad the team is getting good competition compared to most if not all of the other past international trips made by various Buff team sports teams that I can remember.

Another tight win.

Glad the team is getting good competition compared to most if not all of the other past international trips made by various Buff team sports teams that I can remember.

Agree. And that's really cool because it makes the trip something more than a teambuliding/bonding experience.

I'd be interested to see the statistics for both games. Any ideas about how to find them?

I haven't found them on CU's site, just story write ups that does give some individual numbers, but not team numbers.

Frida 10 for 12 from behind the arc.

My guess is this was not the same level of competition as the previous two teams.

As with all sports, the transfer portal has been VERY busy this off-season for, I assume, almost all teams in WBB.

(For those not keeping that close of track, Raoul's list has CU having lost 5 transfers (2 to P5 schools (West Virginia and Cal) and 3 to smaller D1 schools (Cal Baptist, UTEP and Missouri State)) this off-season while gaining 1 (young (true sophomore) student-athlete who plays a valuable position (C) for the Buffs, from the U. of Arizona). Based on past playing time, both of the main departures were grad transfers.)

Back