What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

WBB Team 2017-18

Could be in the Dance this year. Got to love the guard play we'll have.

Agree about the guard play - IF Robinson fully recovers from her injury/surgery and Freeman can stay healthy during the season.

Don't see this season as one in which the team will make it to the NCAA tourney for a variety of reasons:

1) Seven newcomers (3 juco, 3 freshmen, 1 walk-on freshman). The six scholarship newcomers should all be in the mix for serious playing time. This means two starters will have had D1 experience and the others won't. And several key players off the bench will be inexperienced at this level.

2) The talent level? Not sure it is significantly better than last season other than that the returning players will have had one year to improve individually and adjust to the coaching staff. Yes, in theory the newcomers will all be more suited to the coaching staff's desired style of play and that could also help, but I'm not convinced at this time that there is an upgrade in the raw level of talent.

3) Conference competition. The Pac 12 has put three teams into the Final Four the past two seasons. In women's basketball it has been in an upward trajectory for a number of seasons. CU is playing catch-up in terms of talent and experience.

The above lead me to the conclusion that the results of this upcoming season will be about the same as last season's. There will be some great home wins v conference competition but the team will finish in the bottom half of the standings and will be a candidate for the WNIT again.

Hope Wyo, CSU, UNC and DU are on the schedule!

Isn't Peyton Carter on scholarship for this year? Article on cubuffs.com says she has been added for 2017-18.

Agree about the guard play - IF Robinson fully recovers from her injury/surgery and Freeman can stay healthy during the season.

Don't see this season as one in which the team will make it to the NCAA tourney for a variety of reasons:

1) Seven newcomers (3 juco, 3 freshmen, 1 walk-on freshman). The six scholarship newcomers should all be in the mix for serious playing time. This means two starters will have had D1 experience and the others won't. And several key players off the bench will be inexperienced at this level.

2) The talent level? Not sure it is significantly better than last season other than that the returning players will have had one year to improve individually and adjust to the coaching staff. Yes, in theory the newcomers will all be more suited to the coaching staff's desired style of play and that could also help, but I'm not convinced at this time that there is an upgrade in the raw level of talent.

3) Conference competition. The Pac 12 has put three teams into the Final Four the past two seasons. In women's basketball it has been in an upward trajectory for a number of seasons. CU is playing catch-up in terms of talent and experience.

The above lead me to the conclusion that the results of this upcoming season will be about the same as last season's. There will be some great home wins v conference competition but the team will finish in the bottom half of the standings and will be a candidate for the WNIT again.

Hope Wyo, CSU, UNC and DU are on the schedule!

Agree on all of this. By now you see Freeman is done but that doesn't worry me. This whole season hinges on Robinson and how ready she will be mentally and physically. If she never got hurt, I would say this team will be better than last year. But she did get hurt and we have no idea how she will do. Smith is a big loss but I don't see any other player as a real loss from last year. If Robinson has a down season, the loss of smith is even bigger. Honestly, I think our limit is the nit and maybe a game or two better than last year's overall record. I'm sure some PAC 12 teams lost a lot. Look at UW. If we are going to make the NCAA, it would probably be the following year unless Robinson is 100% which she could be.

I do think the loss of Freeman hurts as she provided - when healthy - an offensive spark and of course would be a veteran. There isn't going to be a lot of experience on the upcoming season's team beyond Robinson and Leonard.

Yes, Robinson is going to be one of the keys to success this season. For CU to match last season's record they are going to be highly dependent on many of the newcomers.

I do think the loss of Freeman hurts as she provided - when healthy - an offensive spark and of course would be a veteran. There isn't going to be a lot of experience on the upcoming season's team beyond Robinson and Leonard.

Yes, Robinson is going to be one of the keys to success this season. For CU to match last season's record they are going to be highly dependent on many of the newcomers.

I'm going to hold my tongue here but if she was a loss, she would've been back. She wasn't effective on D or O once conference play started.

On experience, the other three players played plenty last year. None should be starters though. Let's look at positions:

PG: probably better knowing Kennedy tries to get better every day. Back up will be the same.

Small Forward: Big drop off from smith. Newcomers.

Center: Upgrade with the 6-7 juco transfer. This position was our biggest weakness last year.

Power Forward: Jank and Bunn and possibly hollingshed replacing Ellis and Burich. No idea here. Ellis had a few moments last year but few and far between. Very undersized for PF. Rebounding upgrade for sure this year.

It's going to be an interesting year. Can't compare SG's not knowing how Robinson will be. Robinson underachieved last year and didn't come on until late. It's going to depend a lot on her. This team will be better on D and rebounding. The question is scoring.

Here's my look at the players available at each position for the upcoming season. Several players will be able to play more at one spot. I'll list each position in order of class, not necessarily what the depth chart will look like.

PG: Brecca Thomas, 5-6, SR
Kennedy Leonard, 5-8, JR
Quinessa Cayloa-Do, 5-8, SO
Peyton Carter, 5-7, FR

SG/W: Alexis Robinson 5-10, JR
Mathilde Diop 6-2, SO
Aubrey Knight 6-1, FR

SF/W: Mathilde Diop 6-2, SO
Mya Hollingshed 6-4, FR
Aubrey Knight 6-1, FR

F: Janea Bunn 6-3 JR
Mya Hollingshed 6-4 FR
Annika Jank 6-3, FR

C: Zoe Correal 6-4, SR
Janea Bunn 6-3, JR
Jaimie Curtis 6-7, JR

Mathilde Diop 6-2, SO

Here's my look at the players available at each position for the upcoming season. Several players will be able to play more at one spot. I'll list each position in order of class, not necessarily what the depth chart will look like.

PG: Brecca Thomas, 5-6, SR
Kennedy Leonard, 5-8, JR
Peyton Carter, 5-7, FR

SG/W: Alexis Robinson 5-10, JR
Mathilde Diop 6-2, SO
Aubrey Knight 6-1, FR

SF/W: Mathilde Diop 6-2, SO
Mya Hollingshed 6-4, FR
Aubrey Knight 6-1, FR

F: Janea Bunn 6-3 JR
Mya Hollingshed 6-4 FR
Annika Jank 6-3, FR

C: Zoe Correal 6-4, SR
Janea Bunn 6-3, JR
Jaimie Curtis 6-7, JR

Mathilde Diop 6-2, SO

My guess at the two deep on first PAC 12 game:

PG: Leonard/Thomas
SG: Robinson/Caylao-Do
SF: Knight/Diop
PF: Bunn/Jank/Hollingshed (no idea)
C: Curtis/Correal

If Carter can hit threes, I wouldn't be surprised she got in at PG and SG. Hollingshed could possibly play some 3. I said no idea on which 2 at PF because we don't know which two are more ready. Don't be surprised to see two of these ladies on the court at once at C and PF in some rotations depending on who we are playing. I see 4 of the 5 positions better than last year IF Robinson is 100% by January 1. That's a big if though. I would be less cautious on my optimism for this season if she never got hurt.

Thanks for the reply CUoldtimer.

I slightly disagree with Freeman not being a loss. Let me start by stating the CU's offensive last season was infinitely better than the previous years. There was a flow and a purpose that was so fun to watch. But there were moments, especially during conference play, when the offense stalled. The only option that seemed to work was when Freeman put her head down and drove hard to the basket. It helped the team realize that they needed to be aggressive. I don't think Kennedy Leonard can take that role on by herself. They need someone to step up and provide that lift that Freeman gave.

There are some interesting games I am looking forward to watching on the schedule.

It looks like CU gets an early test going to North Carolina on Sunday, Nov. 12th.

The next weekend CU gets Miami at home on Saturday, Nov. 18th.

The Omni Classic on Thanksgiving weekend includes George Mason, Mississippi Valley St, and Drake.
CU usually takes on the weakest team on Friday night, which hurts the team's RPI. I am guessing CU will play Miss Valley St on Friday, Nov. 24th. I wonder what the time will be since CU volleyball will be hosting Utah the same evening.

There are some interesting games I am looking forward to watching on the schedule.

It looks like CU gets an early test going to North Carolina on Sunday, Nov. 12th.

The Omni Classic on Thanksgiving weekend includes George Mason, Mississippi Valley St, and Drake.
CU usually takes on the weakest team on Friday night, which hurts the team's RPI. I am guessing CU will play Miss Valley St on Friday, Nov. 24th. I wonder what the time will be since CU volleyball will be hosting Utah the same evening.
Has the schedule been posted somewhere that I missed it?

Thanks for the reply CUoldtimer.

I slightly disagree with Freeman not being a loss. Let me start by stating the CU's offensive last season was infinitely better than the previous years. There was a flow and a purpose that was so fun to watch. But there were moments, especially during conference play, when the offense stalled. The only option that seemed to work was when Freeman put her head down and drove hard to the basket. It helped the team realize that they needed to be aggressive. I don't think Kennedy Leonard can take that role on by herself. They need someone to step up and provide that lift that Freeman gave.

She was not effective on offense in league play. Go check the box scores. You will see a couple of good games, 3-4 avg games and the rest will be no contribution. Putting her head down and driving definitely worked before league play. There's a reason she didn't start when Robinson got hurt in the NIT.

Has the schedule been posted somewhere that I missed it?

We can begin to extrapolate the schedule based on other teams schedules. Miami and North Carolina have announced their schedules. Luckily for the Buffs, Drake have graduated Lizzy Wendell and Caitlin Ingle who led Drake to a 28-5 record last season and an unbeaten season in the Missouri Valley. George Mason could be interesting depending on how UConn transfer Natalie Butler steps in and contributes to the Patriots.

Miami is definitely the favorite in a game against the Buffs; however, I think Colorado should beat UNC in Carmichael although, the Heels were extremely young last year--so a year of experience will do them wonders.

Where are you seeing the schedule? I don't find it on cubuffs.com.

Last edited:
Cardinal22's post right above yours answers that question as I had asked basically the same question.

Cardinal22, are you scouring the web? That would take a lot of time to find parts of the schedule unless you have the schedule. The only one I have looked for is CSU because CU usually plays them. So far, CSU only has their conference schedule up.

Cardinal22, are you scouring the web? That would take a lot of time to find parts of the schedule unless you have the schedule. The only one I have looked for is CSU because CU usually plays them. So far, CSU only has their conference schedule up.

There's one or two women's basketball boards that do a pretty good job of compiling released schedules. I just happen to watch those for the non-P5 teams that I follow.

Thinking about what this season will bring, one thought I have is that this team could be better in the both the full court and half court defense as it seems that they may be better athletically. Additionally, they could be improved on the boards. Where I am not o sure there will be much of a change in terms of point production is in the half court offense. It looks like the 3-5 spots will all be filled primarily by newcomers so that means there will have to be some quick learning for there to be an improvement in this area.

Thinking about what this season will bring, one thought I have is that this team could be better in the both the full court and half court defense as it seems that they may be better athletically. Additionally, they could be improved on the boards. Where I am not o sure there will be much of a change in terms of point production is in the half court offense. It looks like the 3-5 spots will all be filled primarily by newcomers so that means there will have to be some quick learning for there to be an improvement in this area.

Agree. Half court offensive scoring will still be a problem and especially if Robinson isn't 100%. Rebounding killed us last year and it would be pretty hard to improve there.

One more addition to the confirmed WBB schedule ... North Dakota State at Boulder on November 29. This is one I was sort of expecting to see since CU played at NoDakSt last season.

Here's a summary of what has been found so far (that I know of) re: schedule ....
11/12 at North Carolina
11/18 Miami at CU
11/23 & 24 (Omni) first round: Drake vs George Mason; CU vs Mississippi Valley State
11/29 North Dakota State at CU
12/6 at CSU 7PM
12/11 Dartmouth at CU
12/15 at Air Force 7PM
12/21 Westminster College at CU (Exhibition)

Two additions ...12/11 & 12/21. That last one seems odd to me ... an exhibition late in the non-conference schedule.

Last edited:
Back