What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We now take you to Auburn, Alabama

It just generally pisses me off that is OK for people to bring their rat sized purse dog to the grocery store or restaurant, but I can't bring my actual dog (who will sit under the table and gladly accept petting from folks, but otherwise won't bother/interact with anyone).

Technically that is not okay. No animals are allowed in restaurants. It's a health code violation. When I was waiting tables and bar tending, I kicked out at least 10 people who couldn't believe we didn't allow their pet inside.

Who the hell knows? This world is so full of weird people. The second account seems really plausible.

it does sound plausible. In fact if somebody had PTSD bad enough that they needed the service dog this is exactly the sort of circumstances that might set them off. if that is the case then this really is an unfortunate circumstance and these kids do not deserve to be disciplined. Sounds like a learning experience for all involved.

it does sound plausible. In fact if somebody had PTSD bad enough that they needed the service dog this is exactly the sort of circumstances that might set them off. if that is the case then this really is an unfortunate circumstance and these kids do not deserve to be disciplined. Sounds like a learning experience for all involved.

I don't feel like I've learned much.

Part of the deal is that you don't pet service dogs. Especially strangers. For PTSD, the dog would be highly attuned to the women's mental state and the area around. It's job (as described in the original version of the story) is to be a placating presence, but more importantly move the owner to safety and keep her thinking clearly. I think the truth is probably in between the two stories, as its obvious the person telling the second version didn't understand why the woman would be upset with the people trying to play with the dog. It's unfortunate that she stayed in an area with so many people for a while, but at the same time, those people did not respect the dog's role.

Part of the deal is that you don't pet service dogs. Especially strangers. For PTSD, the dog would be highly attuned to the women's mental state and the area around. It's job (as described in the original version of the story) is to be a placating presence, but more importantly move the owner to safety and keep her thinking clearly. I think the truth is probably in between the two stories, as its obvious the person telling the second version didn't understand why the woman would be upset with the people trying to play with the dog. It's unfortunate that she stayed in an area with so many people for a while, but at the same time, those people did not respect the dog's role.
I think the original issue is that players were accused of harassing a service dog and it's owner when, according to an eye witness, was not the case. The activists types then rise in arms against the evil players when the don't know the facts.

An extensive report Wednesday by The Wall Street Journal revealed that in 2013 the Auburn athletic department influenced top administrators to overrule the university curriculum review committee's vote to eliminate a public administration class that was not considered to be fulfilling the school's academic mission.

Nothing to see here.... How could this be an indictment of Auburn.. or the SEC...? I'm escalating to Obama....

State Sen. Linda Newell and Rep. Daniel Kagan are proposing legislation that would make misrepresenting your pet as a service animal a crime in Colorado.

“We make it an offense, a criminal offense to pretend and deliberately, knowingly, fraudulently pretend that a non-service animal is a service animal,” Kagan said.
The Problem Solvers investigation uncovered dozens of business selling service animal vests and certifications for a fee, with no proof of disability required.
link

Yes, it is much more civilized in Central Europe where people eat with their animals in public.
Ha!
I was once in a restaurant in a rural part of France. Dogs were wandering all over the place. Hilarious that your comment brought me immediately back tonight experience.

Double HA!
I just realized how old this thread is. Jokes on me, I guess.

I think it has to be said . . . this "service dog" thing where everyone who says they have anxiety gets to carry their chihuahua everywhere they go has gotten out of hand. And what exactly is the harm with engaging with this type of "service dog?"

That being said, if someone asks you not to engage with their pet, there's no reason to be a dick about it.
Glad your life has been blessed enough to never have anything happen to you or a loved one that would require something like this. Also glad to see you think a female military veteran getting raped might cause "anxiety".
As for the harm, it's 2 fold.
1. These animals are highly trained to recognize when their person is in distress. Even though they may not look like it, they are doing a job. Agitating the owner makes the problem worse.
2. Petting, playing with, calling etc. the animal can distract it, causing it to not do it's job. They are almost always marked with a vest.

It's really not that hard.

Back