What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Weiberg leaves over football revenue sharing problems

B12 has no tradition.
It's lopsided towards the South.
Screw the states of Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri and Kansas.

It's BS that the B12 championship sites are in "nuetral" location like Houston, Dallas or St. Louis. Who the hell want's to visit Stillwater or Lubbock? And those are some of the closer rival schools.

I say the Buffs and the fans would enjoy a stint in the Pac 10.
Let me take this on farther.
My dream B12 league:

East:
AFA (Nod to our heros in uniform. Those Cadets out sex-scandal anybody).
BYU (close to Alta - talk about a school w/ a superiority complex)
CU
CSU (low-budget road-trip. Always fun to silence the lambs),
NU (for the 'rivalry'. Need somone to write about on these forums)
Wyo (League doormat - preferably close to home)

West
ASU (luv the desert in Oct/Nov),
Cal (Berkeley & Boulder in the same conference? groovy man)
USC (gotta beat the best to be the best),
UCLA (rotate schedules with USC and visit SoCal every year)
Stanford (Brainy school to knock around)
UNLV (ultimate road-trip and a guaranteed win)

There wouldn't be a bad Championship game location.
Put that in you pipe and smoke it.

Your dream is my nightmare!!! A schedule of playing AFA, CSU, WYO, UNLV really makes me want to go out and buy tickets...NOT....

We really need NU to make a comeback as the dominant team for the sake of the conference. We need the Buffs to comeback as well (or someone else) to challenge NUs dominance and make it interesting. The North is incredibly boring.

speak for yourself. i would be happy seeing the north improve as a whole, and to see several schools duke it out with cu for the north each year.

the red can die in hades for all i am concerned.

let's just join the p10 and end this stupid experiment with the cheating bastards of the swc.

we have nothing in common, culturally, academically, or socially with the vast majority of schools in our conference. back in the old days of the big 8, there were some historical reasons for the mix but now there is just nothing. no tradition at all.

ut is a very good school and they too would be an ok fit for the p10 but why would they ever want to leave when they basically control their current conference? other than ut, who in the b12 are really CU's "peer" schools?

we've got tons of alums up and down the west coast and our fans have always travelled well to "good" locations. the p10 is full of good locations... the b12, not so much...

i hate the b12. i hate that it is controlled by freaking texans. let's take our ball and leave. i promise you, we won't miss it.

hell, i would even propose that CU keeps the annual thxsgiving game with the fuskers as our big intersectional ooc game every year, but the fuskers would never agree to that-- their pinkskirts might get wrinkled.

let's just join the p10 and end this stupid experiment with the cheating bastards of the swc.

we have nothing in common, culturally, academically, or socially with the vast majority of schools in our conference. back in the old days of the big 8, there were some historical reasons for the mix but now there is just nothing. no tradition at all.

ut is a very good school and they too would be an ok fit for the p10 but why would they ever want to leave when they basically control their current conference? other than ut, who in the b12 are really CU's "peer" schools?

we've got tons of alums up and down the west coast and our fans have always travelled well to "good" locations. the p10 is full of good locations... the b12, not so much...

i hate the b12. i hate that it is controlled by freaking texans. let's take our ball and leave. i promise you, we won't miss it.

hell, i would even propose that CU keeps the annual thxsgiving game with the fuskers as our big intersectional ooc game every year, but the fuskers would never agree to that-- their pinkskirts might get wrinkled.

it is an intriguing thought, and maybe we should have grabbed the ring when the chance was there.

it is an intriguing thought, and maybe we should have grabbed the ring when the chance was there.

i think the opportunity would be there again if we wanted it.

the tough part is how to split up the p10 conference into divisions and who the 12th team would be. none of the current p10 schools want to be separated from the socal schools because of the attendance boon and other things. but, if the ncaa would let them play a conf. champ. game without divisions (but with 12 teams in the conf.) then i think it could work...

each team would have a "rival" team that it would play every year... oregon/oregon state, wash/wsu, ucla/usc, asu/ua, cal/stanford, and CU/[insert new team here-- utah? csu? who knows?].

then, you rotate the other teams you play evenly like the b10 does it. so, you wouldn't play any team except your rival every year, but you'd still play everyone enough that it would be pretty fair.

this would work. the only hard part is finding the 12th team. there has been talk about utah and csu, but they'd really need to up their budgets and facilities to be considered. byu is also talked about, but i think there is some resistance to them on a cultural fit basis.

Well, like I said, it's been a few years since I last saw the numbers. It's pathetic that we're behind the likes of Kansas and OSU. I hope we turn that around soon.[/QUOTE
It can be turned around - Bohn is a good man and the CU alumni base is affluent, it just hasn't been tapped yet.

i think the opportunity would be there again if we wanted it.

the tough part is how to split up the p10 conference into divisions and who the 12th team would be. none of the current p10 schools want to be separated from the socal schools because of the attendance boon and other things. but, if the ncaa would let them play a conf. champ. game without divisions (but with 12 teams in the conf.) then i think it could work...

each team would have a "rival" team that it would play every year... oregon/oregon state, wash/wsu, ucla/usc, asu/ua, cal/stanford, and CU/[insert new team here-- utah? csu? who knows?].

then, you rotate the other teams you play evenly like the b10 does it. so, you wouldn't play any team except your rival every year, but you'd still play everyone enough that it would be pretty fair.

this would work. the only hard part is finding the 12th team. there has been talk about utah and csu, but they'd really need to up their budgets and facilities to be considered. byu is also talked about, but i think there is some resistance to them on a cultural fit basis.

You just want a CU game in your backyard once a year. :smile2:

We could join and it would end up probably like the Big 10 is now. Somethings to consider;
  • The travel would be expensive for CU since we would be the furthest east team.
  • We'd be totally eliminated from the East Coast TV markets and most Central markets.

Who would be the 12th team if their was one? Academics are apparently an issue to get into the Pac 10.

• BYU
  • Utah
  • Fresno State
  • Boise State
  • CSU
  • Nevada
  • UNLV
  • New Mexico
  • New Mexico State

As you can see there aren't a ton of options.

the red can die in hades for all i am concerned.

Admittedly, I'm a stickler for small details like this, but humor me for just a moment while I splain sumpin' to you...

In Greek mythology, everybody who dies goes to Hades. It's neither heaven nor hell. It's just where people go who are dead. There's nothing horrible about the place. It's not hot (as in "damn, it's hotter than Hades around here"). So it's technically impossible for somebody to "die in Hades", as they would have to be dead prior to their arrival anyway.

The term "Hades" was used both as a description of a place (the afterlife) and as a person/God, as in Hades, the Greek God of the Underworld. Hades (the God) was Zeus' brother (along with Poseidon).

Sorry 'bout that. I see so many misuses of Greek mythological terminology that I sometimes feel compelled to correct the mistake. I once got into an argument with a woman who insisted that the Trojans won the Trojan War. :bang:

She was probably a USC fan...

heh- yeah probably. I always wonder why schools choose Trojans as their mascot. The Trojans lost the only war anybody knows about. And they lost it by getting fooled. They basically lost because they were stupid and vain. That makes for a great mascot, doesn't it? :lol:

Wow, talk about a thread jack. :wow:

You just want a CU game in your backyard once a year. :smile2:

We could join and it would end up probably like the Big 10 is now. Somethings to consider;
  • The travel would be expensive for CU since we would be the furthest east team.
  • We'd be totally eliminated from the East Coast TV markets and most Central markets.

Who would be the 12th team if their was one? Academics are apparently an issue to get into the Pac 10.

• BYU
  • Utah
  • Fresno State
  • Boise State
  • CSU
  • Nevada
  • UNLV
  • New Mexico
  • New Mexico State

As you can see there aren't a ton of options.

the p10 wants to go to 12 TEAMS (edit: not games, teams), not 11. they want the conference championship game and you have to have 12 to do that.

so, yeah, the biggest obstacle is finding the 12th team. i think it will be someone like utah or csu IF they can get their budgets and facilities in line. the p10 would never touch unlv or fresno or teams like that--- the academics are just too far off and the p10 coaches REALLY hate fresno because they pick up all kinds of guys that the p10 can't touch. byu is sometimes mentioned as a possibility but they are a bad cultural fit with the p10. but, stranger things have happened. nm and nmsu and nevada don't have any of the support you need. boise state is on a growth curve but they are probably still a ways away from being able to make such a big jump. remember you have to guarantee a certain attendance level and a certain number of sports and a certain minimum budget.

i think csu or utah or byu would be the closest to being able to pull it off but take the sheep for example... they'd have to build a new stadium and probably increase their athletic budget by 50% or something.

Last edited:
These things go in cycles. For the first six or so years of the conference the Big 12 South sucked. I don't actually think the Big 12 North is that bad -- it is just grossly outbalanced by three teams in the Big 12 South.

OU/Texas/A&M are the class of the conference. That is what happens when you spend all your money on your athletic program. Nebraska is the only school in the Big 12 North who can match their money - and that is just the way it is.

The travel argument for CU not being the PAC10 is bunk. Flying to these towns is really no harder than what they already do. Washington State and Oregon State would be the two that are hardest to get to. No worse than Waco of Lubbock.

The real challenge is who is number 12 of the list above only BYU is viable from an acedemics and tradition stand point, out side of that who could the look at? Hawai'i? Gonzaga would be interesting froma Basketball satandpoint but they have no football.

This is one of the larger hurdles to over come in the pac-12 issue who is number 12?

Wasn't the rumor years ago that Colorado and Texass were being courted by the Pac-10?

I just don't buy that the Big XII is going anywhere. It is responsible for the rejuvenation of Texass and maybe someday Texass A&M. They don't want to see it go anywhere.

I also agree that the North is not as bad as folks keep stating and these things go in cycles.

Wasn't the rumor years ago that Colorado and Texass were being courted by the Pac-10?

I just don't buy that the Big XII is going anywhere. It is responsible for the rejuvenation of Texass and maybe someday Texass A&M. They don't want to see it go anywhere.

I also agree that the North is not as bad as folks keep stating and these things go in cycles.

it wasn't a rumor, it is a fact. texas and CU were offered by the p10 about 2 or 3 years after the b12 was formed. both schools felt uncomfortable making a jump so soon after entering the new conference. CU declined the invitation "at this time" but left the door open for later. texas, now, isn't going anywhere. CU, on the other hand, has plenty of incentive to leave the b12 behind and join the p10.

the p10 wants to go to 12 TEAMS (edit: not games, teams), not 11. they want the conference championship game and you have to have 12 to do that.

so, yeah, the biggest obstacle is finding the 12th team. i think it will be someone like utah or csu IF they can get their budgets and facilities in line. the p10 would never touch unlv or fresno or teams like that--- the academics are just too far off and the p10 coaches REALLY hate fresno because they pick up all kinds of guys that the p10 can't touch. byu is sometimes mentioned as a possibility but they are a bad cultural fit with the p10. but, stranger things have happened. nm and nmsu and nevada don't have any of the support you need. boise state is on a growth curve but they are probably still a ways away from being able to make such a big jump. remember you have to guarantee a certain attendance level and a certain number of sports and a certain minimum budget.

i think csu or utah or byu would be the closest to being able to pull it off but take the sheep for example... they'd have to build a new stadium and probably increase their athletic budget by 50% or something.

I think you are crazy if you think the PAC-10 would consider CSU. Small stadium, poor attendance, not much in the way of other sports. The Pac-10 schools have the most sports of almost any conference...BYU and UTah would be attractive. I am not sure that CU is all that attractive at the moment to the PAC-10.

I think you are crazy if you think the PAC-10 would consider CSU. Small stadium, poor attendance, not much in the way of other sports. The Pac-10 schools have the most sports of almost any conference...BYU and UTah would be attractive. I am not sure that CU is all that attractive at the moment to the PAC-10.

hence, my quote re: the sheep: they'd need a new stadium and a dramatically increased budget.

yes, byu and utah have the inside track.

no, i don't think, right now, that CU is especially attractive. but, things do change.

Back