What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We'll find out what the team,hawk and coaches are made of vs KSU...

Every team is faced with obstacles....seriously...every team. But it's a coaches ability to adapt and move the team forward...to game plan that makes a coach good and eventually great. Hawkins has not shown the ability to adapt to the lack of depth or play makers at certain positions. He has a "system" and he never wavers. Don't get me wrong, it's important to have a system in place, recruit players that fit that system and grow your players. But if you run a system that can't adapt when your players can't make the system work, then what good is it. We have glaring weaknesses in the OL, adapt. We have weaknesses at QB...adapt. ADAPT...PLEASE!! And the other coaches can't escape the culpability here, but ultimately it's Hawkins that is getting paid millions to recruit and execute his system. He clearly needs some more time, you can't just throw up your hands now, but TRY HARDER.

I agree with your post. I highly doubt that Hawk hasn't changed his game plan. Some people are asking to change the entire offense, which I think would be a mistake. Jmo.

I agree with your post. I highly doubt that Hawk hasn't changed his game plan. Some people are asking to change the entire offense, which I think would be a mistake. Jmo.

You hope he has changed his game plan but is it just me or does it look like we are running the same gimmickry BS offensive plays week in and week out? Opposing QBs sit back and pick us apart, yet we rarely blitz? Same shi$ new opponent...I just don't see the changes...or perhaps I don't see the right changes.

You hope he has changed his game plan but is it just me or does it look like we are running the same gimmickry BS offensive plays week in and week out? Opposing QBs sit back and pick us apart, yet we rarely blitz? Same shi$ new opponent...I just don't see the changes...or perhaps I don't see the right changes.

Again, I agree with your points. But I just don't think the playcalling has been the issue. I've seen some stupid calls from Helfrich, but that's the same with every OC in the country.

I think the D has been good. Definitely not great.

I'm never going to complain about our defense...for what they have to work with I think they are tough...I would like to see some more blitz packages, but they are tough. I don't think we need to change our whole offense. I do think we need to adapt...if the QB rushing the ball is working...stick with it...run more screens...coach them up to go smash mouth running off the dive tackles like Alabama does this year....go deep on first down. I just don't see them working with what they have, I see them sticking to a system through hell or high water. Enough negativity from me..

when i say it is a job game, i don't mean if he loses he will be fired the next day. CU doesn't work like that. what i mean is that if he doesn't win this one, it may be the loss that starts the precipitous spiral to his termination. lose this one and a bowl game becomes extremely unlikely. no bowl game and another losing record and recruiting will be very difficult. all the built up goodwill this staff has will be gone. next year, they will be in a position where they have no margin for error at all and it will be expected that they have a very big year or else. when we review it all in retrospect, if the Buffs lose to kjsu this week and hawk is ultimately fired next year, i think we will point to this game as the beginning of the end.

i am hoping for the best, of course.

Regardless of the way we end up at the end of the year this year, I think next year is pretty much put up or shutup time. We should be in contention for the north title next year and if we're a cellar-dwellar again there will be serious grumblings no matter how the rest of this year plays out.

I thought KU was the "must win" game.

Now it's the KSU game.

Then it'll be the Mizzou game....

Then it'll be the aTm game..........

Then OSU at home..........

Then ISU will be THE game......

I think we've pretty much seen what the team, Hawkins and the coaches are made of, already.
We have been a mediocre football program since 2002, but alot of CU fans will never admit it.

We have been a mediocre football program since 2002, but alot of CU fans will never admit it.

I think most know this. The north is much better now than when cu was winning north titles in 04 and 05.

CU has lost at least 5 games each season since 2002 and since 1999, 8 seasons with at least 5 losses.

We'll see how things turn out these last 6 games and in recruiting. We get miller and tuioti back and hopefully tau and simas. Then add major,katoa rippy and burney on defense and all is not bad.

This particular season is largely meaningless in the grand scheme.

The most important time of the year for us right now is FEBRUARY.

And it will be so for the next SEVERAL YEARS.

Who here won't admit that?

I think most know this. The north is much better now than when cu was winning north titles in 04 and 05.

CU has lost at least 5 games each season since 2002 and since 1999, 8 seasons with at least 5 losses.

Yeah, I think everyone realizes we have been mediocre for quite a while now. Not sure anyone could make a coherent argument to the contrary.

Who here won't admit that?
Back in August most people on this board had CU winning 8 games this year. Come on, give me a break. Many had 9, and were ripping people who were posting 5 wins - which is very likely. Most people who make negative comments get ripped just because they aren't in love with Hawkins. For Christ's sake - what's his record 11 -20, and you better not criticize him. We just gave him an extension. I think CU fans have been more than supportive of him, but at some point he has to start winning some freakin games.

Last edited:
Back in August most people on this board had CU winning 8 games this year. Come on, give me a break. Many had 9, and were ripping people who were posting 5 wins - which is very likely. Most people who make negative comments get ripped just because they aren't in love with Hawkins. For Christ's sake - what's his record 11 -20, and you better not criticize him. We just gave him an extension. I think CU fans have been more than supportive of him, but at some point he has to start winning some freakin games.

I think those predictions would have been very different had we known 3/5 of the offensive line was going to go down for the year before we started conference play. :huh:

I think those predictions would have been very different had we known 3/5 of the offensive line was going to go down for the year before we started conference play. :huh:

Our record would be exactly the same today if the entire line was healthy.

I don't think so. Few plays in the 2nd Q at FSU and the out come is different. Game vs the #1 team in the country probably still a loss, but I think it would have been closer. We definitely win vs KU with the line that started vs CSU.

Maybe, maybe not. But I think we'd be looking at the rest of the season a lot differently if the O-line were healthy. 3 wins would seem like the minimum likely total, 4 would look very possible.

O-line play wasn't really that huge of a problem at FSU from my observation.

What was a problem was the 2-3 hilariously poorly thrown passes, 2 of which were guaranteed touchdowns, at least.

If CU has a different quarterback playing vs FSU we win the game, period.

How many QB's in d1 football blow those passes? Almost none. The receivers were _wide_open. That is unacceptable, and it more likely than not cost us the game.

I'm not asking for Vince Young. I'm asking for a QB who can hit wide open targets and at least give the team a chance to win.

The offense has looked bad all year with the possible exception of against CSU. EWU it didn't look any good. WVU they played one half of one quarter then did nothing, all game. The three games we lost, I don't really think retelling that story again is necessary.

But hey. Keep doing the same thing every week.

With a healthy OL, I disagree. Cody can be a capable, not star, but capable QB with a healthy OL to open throwing lanes for him. We could have won FSU or KU or both. A healthy OL allows Cody to throw the quick hitches, slants and screens that slow down the rush, and give him time to throw the ball down the field.

Are you saying that with a healthy O-line this is really an 8 - 4, or 9 - 3 team?:huh:

Back