What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What a former player told me in the summer of 2007

Yep, I'd tell him thats a weak ass quote. Maybe before he rips the team, he should look in the mirror. They're kids. Had a former player called him a soft mother****er for losing to Fresno I'd have said the same thing...its weak. Maybe he should stay off Napster or whatever the hell he got banned for, focus on married life, and lay off the 18 year old players. Support would be nice.[/QUOTE

He does support, you don't know what he puts into the University still, I do. You dont know about his personal life, I do. Oh and he is not the only former player ripping on the buffs, in fact there are lots some even publicly like Victor Rogers, Alfred Williams and Joel Klatt.

I'm with you on this. The fact that former players are weighing in with their disapproval is something that ought to make anyone sit up and take notice. Also, with regards to that loss to Fresno State: it sucked but in retrospect that was a pretty damn good team with a number 1 overall draft pick at quarterback and we very nearly pulled it out at the end. I'll give that Buffs squad the benefit of the doubt because they earned it. What has this team done in the last four years? They beat OU... zippedee doo dah. Yeah that makes up for posting more than two dozen losses in three years + 1 game.

Last edited:
SO how much longer must we suffer in mediocrity? Arent we about due for some good luck? I think we have suffered enough in purgatory, it's time the Buffs start coming back to respectability and hopefully on to excellence on the field.

:yeahthat:

I'm with you on this. The fact that former players are weighing in with their disapproval is something that ought to make anyone sit up and take notice. Also, with regards to that loss to Fresno State: it sucked but in retrospect that was a pretty damn good team with a number 1 overall draft pick at quarterback and we very nearly pulled it out at the end. I'll give that Buffs squad the benefit of the doubt because they earned it. What has this team done in the last four years? They beat OU... zippedee doo dah. Yeah that makes up for posting more than two dozen losses in three years + 1 game.

First, nobody is arguing that its alarming about former players ripping HAWK. Thats fine. Didnt think thats what was happening here. The team is fine in the toughness department.
As far as Fresno State retrospect---maybe CSU is good?? Maybe not, but, they're undefeated. It's not yet week 2.

Serious question; How did they earn it?

That 2001 team had gone 3-8 the year before and was heading in to a game against csu, a team that they had lost to in 1999 and 2000

Last edited:

That 2001 team had gone 3-8 the year before and was heading in to a game against csu, a team that they had lost to in 1999 and 2000

I have to say that I was really confident going into 2001 season...the 2000 team lost some close games to some tough teams. They had only 8 seniors leave from 2000 team and had two guys returned that could of left early for the NFL (Gurode and Graham). Add the really good talent in a top 10 recruiting class in 2000 and things looked good. That is why the Fresno loss hurt some bad - high expectations dashed. We found out later that Fresno was pretty good that year. And CU turned out really good.

I have to say that I was really confident going into 2001 season...the 2000 team lost some close games to some tough teams. They had only 8 seniors leave from 2000 team and had two guys returned that could of left early for the NFL (Gurode and Graham). Add the really good talent in a top 10 recruiting class in 2000 and things looked good. That is why the Fresno loss hurt some bad - high expectations dashed. We found out later that Fresno was pretty good that year. And CU turned out really good.

Trust me when I say that I am not arguing, nor am defending Hawk. But we had pretty high expectations this year as well (high relative to the last few years anyway). That 2001 team had proven nothing at the time they lost to Fresno, but there were lofty expectations. People were very upset about that loss when it happened....just like this year.

As I stated in a previous post, where we go from here will be very telling.

while i agree this team appears less physical than Barney's squads: it's natural for a guy to be loyal to his coach when there's a "regime change". additionally, they may have never lost to KU but they did lose to Iowa State a couple times and at Baylor when BU was dreadful. KU won a BCS bowl in the Hawk era, ISU has never won a BCS bowl and was at best a 6 (maybe 7) win team in the Barnett era.

Last edited:
I should clarify. He said he talked too much for his liking rather than saying he was all talk. But the point still stands that it was a fairly perceptive comment. BTW, it wasn't said with any hint of ill will towards Hawkins. Aren't you tired of all the Zen and all of the lies (Cody/Hansen, D Scott injured, etc.) rather than seeing success on the field?

I'm tired of people taking comments from Akarika Dawn or whoever, and using them to destroy the coach when you admit that there wasn't a hint of "ill will". Here's the deal - you guys are piling on. If we win the next 10 in the row, do we really want to be passing on third hand garbage that makes this guy look bad?

The coach has results to fall back on and right now they aren't good. That's it. Nothing else. I don't know about Zen, Philosophy, Nepotism, talking too much, etc. I care about coaching and winning ONLY.

I expect a lot of improvement this year and that first game was a disaster. I'm sick of that and I want improvement. But I'm also sick of all this third hand mojo ****. I have kids in the athletic program who hang with football players and they do NOT echo this crap. That's a fact. Let's stick to facts. There's plenty of facts that make Hawkins look bad right now. Their called LOSSES.

Rant over.

I'm tired of people taking comments from Akarika Dawn or whoever, and using them to destroy the coach when you admit that there wasn't a hint of "ill will". Here's the deal - you guys are piling on. If we win the next 10 in the row, do we really want to be passing on third hand garbage that makes this guy look bad?

The coach has results to fall back on and right now they aren't good. That's it. Nothing else. I don't know about Zen, Philosophy, Nepotism, talking too much, etc. I care about coaching and winning ONLY.

I expect a lot of improvement this year and that first game was a disaster. I'm sick of that and I want improvement. But I'm also sick of all this third hand mojo ****. I have kids in the athletic program who hang with football players and they do NOT echo this crap. That's a fact. Let's stick to facts. There's plenty of facts that make Hawkins look bad right now. Their called LOSSES.

Rant over.

:thumbsup::smile2::stupid::yeahthat:
Rep

Exactly. The 2000 squad had a terrible run of luck but they at least competed. I forget exactly how many close games they lost but they were not a bad team and we really had every reason to believe 2001 would be a breakout and it was. Yes, they earned it.

Exactly. The 2000 squad had a terrible run of luck but they at least competed. I forget exactly how many close games they lost but they were not a bad team and we really had every reason to believe 2001 would be a breakout and it was. Yes, they earned it.

You are mis-remembering.:smile2:

Barnett arrives in Boulder, We lose to a csu team that CU hadn't lost to since 1986. Then we do it again in 2000 and proceed to go 3-8. Yes we kept games close that year, but after losing to Fresno in the opener in 2001, when expectations were high, there wasn't anyone giving Barnett the benefit of the doubt.

Oh, and MH hurt his hip...not his ACL

Unleash Hell, TheRoyale90, Bill Cody, BlackNGold, Buff fanatic and BlackNGold....

its like LincolnBuff took over 6 computers at once and is posting with each of his different personalities and not a single friggin one knows how to work the quote function.

all of you dumbasses go sit in the corner until you can figure out how to properly use the quote function. some of you idots were arguing with yourselfs according to the quote.

friggin amatuers...

:lol:

:smile2:

You are mis-remembering.:smile2:

Barnett arrives in Boulder, We lose to a csu team that CU hadn't lost to since 1986. Then we do it again in 2000 and proceed to go 3-8. Yes we kept games close that year, but after losing to Fresno in the opener in 2001, when expectations were high, there wasn't anyone giving Barnett the benefit of the doubt.

Oh, and MH hurt his hip...not his ACL

You could be right about the injury but really, a hip injury kept him out for as long as it did? That seems odd. At any rate I maintain that the competitiveness of the 2000 squad coupled with the fact that Craig Ochs had shown some real skills led us to believe that 2001 would be a breakout year and it was. Also you are comparing apples to oranges. What in the last 3 years of putrid play would lead you to believe that this year's game against CSU is an aberration? I hear a lot of 'oh it's only the first game' going around as if this season exists in a vacuum. This team and this first game performance is a continuation of everything that has come before. Why should we give hawk another benefit of the doubt? Haven't we done that enough? I think the bottom line is that we as fans seem to be divided into two principle camps: one that says nothing short of excellence (or in lieu of that competence) is acceptable juxtaposed against the "realists" who believe it's just a game and we should always give the benefit of the doubt and things are perpetually 'headed in the right direction'. The second view might seem to be reasonable and even keeled but it strikes me as complacence. We've been so reduced as a program and as a fan base that we're talking about hoping we beat Toledo to stave off our continuing humiliation for one more day. Is this all there is? Are we to be a program like Northwestern that has a good year once a decade and spends most of the time getting hammered? If so maybe we should all get used to chanting "that's all right, that's okay we will own your farm someday" as the Northwestern fans do.

Unleash Hell, TheRoyale90, Bill Cody, BlackNGold, Buff fanatic and BlackNGold....

its like LincolnBuff took over 6 computers at once and is posting with each of his different personalities and not a single friggin one knows how to work the quote function.

all of you dumbasses go sit in the corner until you can figure out how to properly use the quote function. some of you idots were arguing with yourselfs according to the quote.

friggin amatuers...

:lol:

:smile2:

The multi quote function isn't working right. Mine started doing that on the first message I responded to. Oh and **** yourself.

Rant over.

The majority of CU fans are just beginning to realize how much of a talker Hawkins is and how much substance he really has.

:duel2::popcorn:

:yeahthat:

The multi quote function isn't working right. Mine started doing that on the first message I responded to. Oh and **** yourself.

:bs:

amature.

You could be right about the injury but really, a hip injury kept him out for as long as it did? That seems odd. At any rate I maintain that the competitiveness of the 2000 squad coupled with the fact that Craig Ochs had shown some real skills led us to believe that 2001 would be a breakout year and it was. Also you are comparing apples to oranges. What in the last 3 years of putrid play would lead you to believe that this year's game against CSU is an aberration? I hear a lot of 'oh it's only the first game' going around as if this season exists in a vacuum. This team and this first game performance is a continuation of everything that has come before. Why should we give hawk another benefit of the doubt? Haven't we done that enough? I think the bottom line is that we as fans seem to be divided into two principle camps: one that says nothing short of excellence (or in lieu of that competence) is acceptable juxtaposed against the "realists" who believe it's just a game and we should always give the benefit of the doubt and things are perpetually 'headed in the right direction'. The second view might seem to be reasonable and even keeled but it strikes me as complacence. We've been so reduced as a program and as a fan base that we're talking about hoping we beat Toledo to stave off our continuing humiliation for one more day. Is this all there is? Are we to be a program like Northwestern that has a good year once a decade and spends most of the time getting hammered? If so maybe we should all get used to chanting "that's all right, that's okay we will own your farm someday" as the Northwestern fans do.

Hey, I am not defending Hawk here. I am on board with the fact that sunday was not good enough...period. There has been zero proven in the last 3 years. I have publicly stated that Hawk has probably done plenty of good off the field in the last 3 years, and it needed to be done. But, this is the year that they NEED to show progress with wins.

All I am pointing out is that in 2001, everyone was not just sitting back and saying "oh well, we know that they are going to have a great year anyway". There was plenty for the fan base to be concerned about, especially after that loss to Fresno. Revisionist historians we are all.

Just need to fix the little things and get some calls. My keyboard groupings are nicked up but we're on the right track.

i suppose they have been great when you practice with them, eh? :rolleyes:

ok, thats 3 quotes in a row that are correct. you can come out of the corner now.

just remember to fart a little as you get up to provide some motivation for the others. :cool:

Hey, I am not defending Hawk here. I am on board with the fact that sunday was not good enough...period. There has been zero proven in the last 3 years. I have publicly stated that Hawk has probably done plenty of good off the field in the last 3 years, and it needed to be done. But, this is the year that they NEED to show progress with wins.

All I am pointing out is that in 2001, everyone was not just sitting back and saying "oh well, we know that they are going to have a great year anyway". There was plenty for the fan base to be concerned about, especially after that loss to Fresno. Revisionist historians we are all.

Fair enough. I think it's worth noting though that we lost that game 24-22 and were driving for the winning score. What happened on sunday absolutely should have been 37-17 because the lambs dropped an easy touchdown pass and they were sitting on our doorstep at the end in the victory formation. If they had a Spurrier type coach they would have rubbed it in. They took pity on us. Make of that what you will.

\
Ehhh, kinda weak IMHO. Kansas is a little different now. And, I remember everybody and their mothers being a little frustrated after his team got beat by Fresno State. Soft mother****er.

Matt was a bad ass and played better than the soft DL we have now, mother ****er.

I'm tired of people taking comments from Akarika Dawn or whoever, and using them to destroy the coach when you admit that there wasn't a hint of "ill will".

I'll freely admit I was very drunk when I was posted this and probably should not have. However, why do you choose to defend Hawkins so vehemently when everything out there points to him being our Ty Willingham? Go ask a Washington fan what their boards were like in 2007 and 2008 and ask them what they went through. I don't want to see us go to those depths, ever.

Matt was a bad ass and played better than the soft DL we have now, mother ****er.

Ehhhhhh.:boring: Go tell them they're soft. You've seen them one game. As for Matt---okay??? He was good I guess. If having lots of tats makes you not soft, he isnt soft. Im sure hes a good dude, and I have no beef if he was talking about the coach's, if he, LIKE YOU, was referring to the players---he's a d-bag. Like you. :thumbsup:

I've said numerous times that the team looks soft and plays soft.

I honestly don't mean that as a personal attack on the players. For example and in particular, I have called the offensive line soft. But I know that the guys, Miller and Givens most definitely, are fighters. But Sunday night after the game CSU's defensive coordinator called them pvssies.

That's one of the big things that enraged me. That's the thing that bothers me so much about what's going on. We've got tough kids giving their all and we've got assistant coaches on the CU offensive staff in Denver, Kiesau and Hagan that want to play smash mouth... but an offense that is still playing finesse football. As I've stated before, the head coaching zen philosophy is poisoning this team and making it soft.

The "soft" critique goes squarely to the top. And, frankly, if the players are taking the "soft" critique personally then that's fine too. If they can use it to get pissed off and geared up to bust some heads against Toledo, all the better.

After one game?

While CU was losing "it's only one game" to CSU, the rest of the conference was steamrolling their respective cupcakes.

Missouri, a team most on board picked CU to "easily beat" this year, beat a team it was not favored against by 20 points.

Look around CFB scoreboards. THe overwhelming majority of BCS schools beat up on their week one cupcakes.

CU lost. Badly.

We even got a spot on the college gameday or whatever "30 second blurbs of teams who were horribly embarrassed on opening day". Guess what? It was a pretty short list.

Back