What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What a joke, Kasa going to Florida.

There have been some good points made here..18 year old kids, who are studs at a local level (the kind that a lot of schools would like to recruit), are not thinking of academics first..they are thinking of playing for a winning university..and then playing in the show.

You can sell academics to Moms and Dads, but not to the HS jocks.

What works against selling CU to Moms and Dads is the negative rep that has emerged..and continues to surface (see the latest laser-in-the-opponents-eye episode) regarding the environment that their child will be exposed to. Frankly, I have a set of moral standards that are not in agreement with the free sex, heavy drug use, stoned and bombed, personna that CU has become. That means, if I had a highly recruited football son, and lived in CO...I would encourage him to take one of the other offers..because I care about the environment he would be in. That's just me..and I'm not passing judgement on anyone who thinks otherwise.

CU football can be sold..and I think Hawkins is the right guy to sell it..but if a kid has a chance to play for Texas, or Florida, or Michigan, or ND..all high-profile universities..I don't blame any such kid in choosing to go out of state.

So I left orlando to go to CU, I could have stayed at UCF and help them rise to I-AA power status...did I sell my soul to a renegade win at all cost program?

DBT, these kids are 18. Some kids need to go far away and some need to stay close to home.
Fla: I actually did sell my soul along with a couple of other body parts. Right now the ROI is pretty good. : )

There have been some good points made here..18 year old kids, who are studs at a local level (the kind that a lot of schools would like to recruit), are not thinking of academics first..they are thinking of playing for a winning university..and then playing in the show.

You can sell academics to Moms and Dads, but not to the HS jocks.

What works against selling CU to Moms and Dads is the negative rep that has emerged..and continues to surface (see the latest laser-in-the-opponents-eye episode) regarding the environment that their child will be exposed to. Frankly, I have a set of moral standards that are not in agreement with the free sex, heavy drug use, stoned and bombed, personna that CU has become. That means, if I had a highly recruited football son, and lived in CO...I would encourage him to take one of the other offers..because I care about the environment he would be in. That's just me..and I'm not passing judgement on anyone who thinks otherwise.

CU football can be sold..and I think Hawkins is the right guy to sell it..but if a kid has a chance to play for Texas, or Florida, or Michigan, or ND..all high-profile universities..I don't blame any such kid in choosing to go out of state.

I went to Michigan and they probably do as much if not worse than CU does. The difference, IMO, is that the community in Ann Arbor is willing to sweep more stuff under the rug then maybe Boulder is willing to. There were sex parties, drugs (some players doing it openly), physical assaults on students, sexual assaults on females, money being exchanged, high end cars being leased, all that stuff. Females dropped out of school due to some of the "parties" that were going on. I remember being in class with a freshman linebacker who came from a real meager background. He dressed like schit and had the dirtiest shoes I had ever seen. He became a freshman all american and by the end of his first year he was riding in a high end SUV, new clothes, jewelery....etc, etc. There are a lot of high end dudes that end up transferring out of michigan...you think it's because of playing time? No, they end up doing something very heinous....but it doesn't go public. They just leave quietly.

Hey, I didn't say I blame them. I just have a hard time with them. Ute, as far as stearing your kid away from CU because of their rep...are you kidding? Really. Are you kidding?

CU just won the award for having the highest grad rate in college football. What would that rate be? How about 100% of '01 incoming freshmen have graduated. Only Baylor and, believe it or not, TT in the Big XII hit 70%. Texas is in the 50% to 60% range! Are you really a Buff fan?

Fla: I actually did sell my soul along with a couple of other body parts. Right now the ROI is pretty good. : )

I never said the soul wasn't sold...just that it wasn't a renegade program...sometimes when the knee don't work so frigging good I re-assess the value judgement.:thumbsup:

DBT..I know you have 3 children going to Boulder..and I respect that. There is no doubt that CU has good academics, and I'm sure your kids will be well educated for their careers.

I guess I am not a die-hard fan, in the sense you are speaking of...I am not a CU alum...I'm a Buff fan because I lived most of my life in Aurora and Westminster..and remember well the fun of the glory years.

It's really too bad, because it's so pretty on campus..but CU seems on the verge of being the national poster child for outrageous student and faculty behavior. It isn't warranted, because there are a lot of other places worse...but it has just happened...and you know how the national media enjoy making something large out of almost nothing. It seemed to me somewhat like the perfect storm scenario..the recruiting media buzz..the Hnida thing..the annual smokeout..Ward Churchill..

Had none of the above happened, the laser incident would not have been a national news item.

It's all cool...I am still a Buff fan, and I don't have a stud athlete son being recruited by anyone. Go Buffs, and kick some tail in the corn.

This is old news. The press has moved on to bigger and better things like Sarah Palin's wardrobe and hockeymoms. The fact of the matter is, CU is known as a better than average state school regarding academics and I've never been degraded for gaining a couple of degrees from old CU.

Now, at 35 would I have possibly looked harder at playing ball at Stanford rather than Boulder? Maybe. But I wouldn't trade a minute of my 19-23 year old experience at CU now.

DBT..I know you have 3 children going to Boulder..and I respect that. There is no doubt that CU has good academics, and I'm sure your kids will be well educated for their careers.

I guess I am not a die-hard fan, in the sense you are speaking of...I am not a CU alum...I'm a Buff fan because I lived most of my life in Aurora and Westminster..and remember well the fun of the glory years.

It's really too bad, because it's so pretty on campus..but CU seems on the verge of being the national poster child for outrageous student and faculty behavior. It isn't warranted, because there are a lot of other places worse...but it has just happened...and you know how the national media enjoy making something large out of almost nothing. It seemed to me somewhat like the perfect storm scenario..the recruiting media buzz..the Hnida thing..the annual smokeout..Ward Churchill..

Had none of the above happened, the laser incident would not have been a national news item.

It's all cool...I am still a Buff fan, and I don't have a stud athlete son being recruited by anyone. Go Buffs, and kick some tail in the corn.

If you seriously believe that boulder is any different from berkeley, ann arbor, austin, or westwood, then you need to wear a helmut when you leave the house. Please don't make it a CU helmut though, we wouldn't you to be embarrassed by our reputation here at CU, rated the 11th best public university in the world by "The Economist" magazine.

If you seriously believe that boulder is any different from berkeley, ann arbor, austin, or westwood, then you need to wear a helmut when you leave the house. Please don't make it a CU helmut though, we wouldn't you to be embarrassed by our reputation here at CU, rated the 11th best public university in the world by "The Economist" magazine.

Boulder is MUCH different than berkeley and westwood. As for austuin and ann arbor, I wouldn't know.

Back