What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What are your expectations for the CU program?

What are your expectations for the CU Football Program!!

• CU should be a perrenial Top 15 Team - B12 Champ, MNC.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • CU should be a consistent Top 25 Team - Competing for B12 N Yearly & BCS Bowl 1 in 5 years.

Votes: 83 67.5%
  • CU should be a consistent 7 to 8 win team. Winning B12 N once in awhile & B12 in a great year.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • For Nebraska Trolls - CU should be happy to beat ISU every year.

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • It is only important to have good recruiting rankings ---to heck with the season!!

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I just came off the Scout.com football recruiting rankings page, where they analyse commits, verbal as well as written, to the NCAA teams and then rank the teams by who is getting the best, so to speak. It is a complicated formula, it appears, but seems to have some credibility.

At the top is, predictably, most of the top 10 ranked teams as polled by AP, Coaches and BCS, with a few very notable exceptions, not the least of which is Texas A&M (how are they squandering their great recruits?).

Colorado is #73, in the same area on the list as Tulane, Fresno State and Washington. Nebraska is #29.

That paints the "expectations" picture a rather gloomy color for next year for Buffs fans.

I am a Nebraska fan, but one who wants very much for Colorado to succeed and be very competitive in the Big 12. I like your new coach and I want him to assemble a good staff and kick ass up here so we can have a true rivalry that will energize this end of the conference (screw Mizzou).

Recruiting seems to be suffering a bit at Colorado right now, given the stats and rankings at the Scout.com site
(http://colorado.scout.com/a.z?s=148&p=9&c=14&yr=2009).

I just came off the Scout.com football recruiting rankings page, where they analyse commits, verbal as well as written, to the NCAA teams and then rank the teams by who is getting the best, so to speak. It is a complicated formula, it appears, but seems to have some credibility.

At the top is, predictably, most of the top 10 ranked teams as polled by AP, Coaches and BCS, with a few very notable exceptions, not the least of which is Texas A&M (how are they squandering their great recruits?).

Colorado is #73, in the same area on the list as Tulane, Fresno State and Washington. Nebraska is #29.

That paints the "expectations" picture a rather gloomy color for next year for Buffs fans.

I am a Nebraska fan, but one who wants very much for Colorado to succeed and be very competitive in the Big 12. I like your new coach and I want him to assemble a good staff and kick ass up here so we can have a true rivalry that will energize this end of the conference (screw Mizzou).

Recruiting seems to be suffering a bit at Colorado right now, given the stats and rankings at the Scout.com site
(http://colorado.scout.com/a.z?s=148&p=9&c=14&yr=2009).

We're close to where we were last year at this time. Phil Steele ranked last year's class 11th in the nation. Scout ranked it top in the Big XII North.

Here's why I'm not too worried. Aside from a few positions at which we need players to come in and contribute yesterday (and really, that's tough to do on the D-line, where it take some time to develop), we're playing very young personnel. What does that mean for our team? Well, minimal turnover for the next two-to-three years; we won't need to replace as many players. CU returns the entire starting offense next year minus our center and one wide receiver. The foundation of future recruiting success will be built on the win-loss record of 2009-2111, which should be pretty decent.

Don't get wrong. We need new players and competition for playing time across the board, and every class is somewhat critical; however, I'd argue that this year's class (WR/DL aside) isn't as critical, overall as our last two year's.

And as every CU fan will point out--nebraska pulled some highly touted classes in the first seven years of this millenium. They're right up there with aTm, when it comes to squanderin'.

FWIW, I think the recruiting "rankings" at this point are fairly useless. To give you an idea, although Scout places A&M 6th, Rivals places them 19th. And although Scout says NU is 26th and CU is 73rd, Rivals says NU 42nd and CU 55th.

FWIW, I think the recruiting "rankings" at this point are fairly useless. To give you an idea, although Scout places A&M 6th, Rivals places them 19th. And although Scout says NU is 26th and CU is 73rd, Rivals says NU 42nd and CU 55th.

we dont care what you think:smile2:

Good to see some hope for next year for the Buffs in a post here, Walrus; I've noticed lots of doom and gloom here lately.

But I saw the recruiting data and was a bit surprised, given Mr. Hawkins' reputation; I was certain he'd attract better than #73 rankings there.

I agree about good players developing and returning with better performance numbers as each year goes by. The hope is that these guys believe in their new coach, because that is what really gets a team going. Pelini has done that for us.

Good to see some hope for next year for the Buffs in a post here, Walrus; I've noticed lots of doom and gloom here lately.

But I saw the recruiting data and was a bit surprised, given Mr. Hawkins' reputation; I was certain he'd attract better than #73 rankings there.

I agree about good players developing and returning with better performance numbers as each year goes by. The hope is that these guys believe in their new coach, because that is what really gets a team going. Pelini has done that for us.

Dude, the Buffs are gonna be sweet in the very near future. Bank on it.

We are behind Hawkins unless he calls us slime of the Earth again...that ****er.

Well I just googled "Colorado Hawkins Slime" and could not come up with a quote.

Maybe you'll educate me on that; did he say that when BSU played CU?

I'll be flamed for not knowing, but what the heck, I have spare asbestos boxer shorts for my trips to Austin. :lol:

Well I just googled "Colorado Hawkins Slime" and could not come up with a quote.

I'll be flamed for not knowing, but what the heck, I have spare asbestos boxer shorts for my trips to Austin. :lol:

last night on his radio show, he called people on message boards...slime of the earth

he said it in a radio interview in the last week or so.

and yes, I have total confidence in hawk. We are not in on any 5 star guys, which sucks, but we are in on quite a few 4* WR's and DLmen...

Back those up with a sweet QB, a solid group of safeties, etc, and I think I am pretty happy with this class. Hawk put's these things together late, it is just his style. So I don't give a rats ass what our current "ranking" is. The only arguably important ranking is the one we get in February (when it comes to recruiting).

Well, I'll forgive him for that.. I used to think the same thing until I came to the understanding that it's true. If it weren't for slime, none of us would exist. :smile2: :lol: etc..

All kidding aside, Mr. Hawkins must have had a problem with message board enthusiasts commenting on his record so far at CU or whatever.

Let him build the program.. I'm hoping he doesn't fall victim to the instant gratification notions that seem to be sweeping the NCAA (and NFL) hiring entities these days; it takes time to re-build a great program.

Are you behind Hawkins 100%? I've seen a few posts here and there expressing concern that he may be in over his head (which I disagree with).

I try not to have strong opinions over things I don't fully understand, and I'm not privy to the stuff that goes on in closed practices or the lockeroom. So, with that qualifier, let me continue by saying, it's football, so I'll throw the rule book out the window and hold that strong opinion after all.

I think Coach Hawkins will bring this team back to a perennial power in the conference. How do we define that measuring stick? Well, back in '98 or so, I flipped through a preseason CFB magazine and learned that its author picked CU to finish 14th nationally that season. I was disgusted! 14th? Colorado? I expected to be a top five team annually, and had been typically rewarded (I completed degrees from CU in 93 and 94, as an out of state guy, so my expectations had always been high). But we finished 14th that season (amazingly the mag got it right) and I WAS devastated. Now, I'd pretty much kill for a "others receiving votes" mention. BUT, I think Coach Hawkins can get us back to my previous level of expectation, or at least in the neighborhood.

Why is it taking so long? Three reasons, I'd argue. One, while Bo Pelini stepped into a situation in which the team had talent (nebraska seldom struggles in recruiting), CU still feels the impact of the recruiting scandal. Two, previous mismanagement of the Athletic Department has disenfranchised our notoriously fickle fanbase and subsequently left the coffers somewhat light. Third, I believe Coach Hawkinks is taking the time to build the team right--no shortcuts. The right kind of players, the right kind of team for the right reasons. Before this season started I stated that watching Hawk build this team was almost as much fun as winning a national championship. Of course, when I said it, I fully expected to win eight games this season.

So yes, I'm taking a few leaps of faith. I can't speak to specifics, since I'm not there. But to me, it appears we're heading in the right direction. The struggling offense this year is legitimately attributed to lack of depth, youth and injuries. Those aren't excuses, W's are W's and L's are L's, but in this conference, you need depth, experience and health to win...or as Meatloaf noted--at least two out of three. CU is O-fer-3. But that is clearly changing, and thus my optimism. I truly believe this team will be very good, and I think it might come as soon as next season. If not 09, I'm hugely optimistic for '10. If hasn't happened by then, I was flat-out wrong.

Go Buffs! **** nebraska.

We have won a handful of outright conference titles in our history and you expect us to start winning them every few years? Snow is right, you might want to be realistic. Unless we suddenly start rolling in the dough, we're not going to turn into OU or Texas overnight.

Look the question was what do we expect. not what we think will happen. If you dont have high expectations what do you have? really. I want this to happen but do i think it will or realistic no.

Back